July 24, 2014 | 1880 users online

Eye Shadow - Wet 'n' Wild - Drinking a Glass of Shine Palette

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by bigsvig

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a collection of 8 matte eye shadows that sells for 5 USD.The quality is very good. The brown side works very well together and does not wear as warm on me as it looks in the pan. The colorful side is a great, cheap way to get a bright, tropical eye design. At my age, I would probably only wear these bright colors as a soft wash on a hot summer night by the water. I would have never bought the colors, but they were packaged with the browns - so now I have a cheap way to rock a trend.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2013 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Tiptoemousey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I found this by chance in my local CVS it was not with the other wet and wild stuff someone had put it with the toothpaste. I was so happy to find it after seeing people on youtube with it I wanted it for its bright matte colors now after getting it home i swatched it and not all of the shades are matte three i think have glitter but on the lid it does not show. So far I have enjoyed this palette and if you can still find it I would buy another for a back up but i was lucky to find the one I did.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2012 10:17:00 AM More reviews by sweaterbrau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

For $5, this palette is a fantastic collection of matte shadows. 5 of the 8 colors in the palette are neutrals, each with a smooth, velvety texture. The light nude and the peachy color are particularly nice. They have great color pay off! The chocolate brown is also very nice for contouring. The blue, green, and purple are nice, but need a white base to really pop. All things considered, I really love this palette.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 11:43:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wet n Wild's Drinking a Glass of Shine is one of three limited edition eight pan Color Icon palettes from the "Where's the Party At?" collection. If this palette looks familiar, it's because it was released last year as the I <3 Matte palette. Wet n Wild says that this palette is a "stunning collection of eight silky, ultra pigmented day to night colors. Mix&match for a variety of looks from sweet to wild". Wet n Wild also says that their shadows have an "all day, crease resistant formula". I'm a big fan of Wet n Wild eyeshadows and I don't have many mattes in my collection plus I was pretty butthurt about missing out on it last year, so I was pretty excited to try the Drinking a Glass of Shine palette. Each Wet n Wild eight pan palette contains 8.5g of product. At slightly over a gram per pan, these eyeshadows are generously sized. This palette will run you about $4.99, which is what I paid at a local CVS. These limited edition palettes have been kinda hard to find for a lot of people, but keep looking, Wet n Wild is available at most drugstores and major retailers. Wet n Wild is a cruelty free brand. This palette was made in China.
Wet n Wild's palettes don't have the best packaging. A black plastic tray with a flimsy, clear flip up lid. This, and all Wet n Wild palettes need to be treated and stored with care. A dual ended applicator was included, but I don't find the sponge tip or very scratchy brush useful, so I tossed it. Each eyeshadow is rectangular and has a suggested placement (Browbone, Eyelid, Crease, or Definer) carved into it. A label is affixed to the back of the palette with a product description, a full ingredient list, and a diagram explaining the suggested placement of each shade. Of course this is a mere recommendation. Do what you want. Have fun. Wear one shade, or all eight at once.
Drinking a Glass of Shine is a very varied palette, containing five neutral shades and three very bright ones. Wet n Wild calls this palette matte, but that's not entirely true, three of the shades have a noticeable amount of shimmer. These eyeshadows didn't impress me from first swatch, and my opinion didn't change much afterwards. I generally don't like matte eyeshadows, and several of the shades in this palette suffer from the poor pigmentation, chalky consistency, and lack of blendability that so often plagues matte shadows, causing my distaste for them. I'm going to review each shadow individually now. Since Wet n Wild does not name their colors, I'll be referring to colors from the left side of the palette as "1", and shades from the right side as "2".

Browbone 1 is a matte, stark white. I actually really like this shade because its surprisingly versatile. It can be sheered out to almost nothing, or can have it's opacity built up quite a bit if you worth with it. This eyeshadow has a good texture and doesn't produce any residual powder.

Eyelid 1 is a matte green with a slight turquoise edge to it. The turquoise aspect of this eyeshadow becomes more apparent as you build up it's intensity. This shadow isn't very pigmented, it needs assistance from a white base to achieve it's full potential. Despite the lack of pigment, I kinda like this shade, its a pretty color and blends well. I just wish it didn't pollute the surrounding shades with excess powder.

Crease 1 is the reason I wanted this palette in the first place. A bright, true blue with a negligible amount of shimmer. Though this shade swatches well, its a real disappointment when used on the eye. It blends down to a very muted blue and doesn't build up well.

Definer 1 is a really pretty, slightly shimmery purple that has almost no pigmentation what so ever. Definer 1 is definitely the dud of Drinking a Glass of Shine. Its dry and almost entirely devoid of color. It needs at least two layers to even show up on the eye, and three layers to even come close to resembling the color it is in the pan.

Browbone 2 is probably my most used shade in this palette. This is like my perfect flesh toned shade. It blends right into my skin, is perfectly matte, and has a luxuriously silky texture. This is what every eyeshadow in the palette should be like. Browbone 2 is definitely the highlight of Drinking a Glass of Shine. Pun intended.

Eyelid 2 is a warm peach eyeshadow. I love using this shade on my eyelid for a touch of warmth or for blending out crease shades. Just like the shade above it, it has good pigment, texture, and blendablity, though I'd describe it's feel as velvety as opposed to silky.

Crease 2 is a wonderfully rich, deep dark chocolate brown that has great pigment when you swatch it, and good pigmentation when used on the lid The texture of Crease 2 is super velvety. Here's the catch, once you place this shadow on the eye it will not budge. I don't know if I've ever worked with a shadow this stubborn. I need to mix it with a bit of the peach shade if I want any chance of blending this eyeshadow out. Crease 2 is a nice eyeliner though.

Definer 2 is a slightly shimmery, very dark, nearly black charcoal shade. This is by far the most pigmented of the eight shadows in Drinking a Glass of Shine. This color is soft and blendable, great for adding depth to a look, but also a night eyeliner. It does cause a bit of fallout, but most black and almost black shades do.

As a whole these eyeshadows are not great, they're very hit or miss. Some lack pigment, others have awful consistencies. Some have both. Even worse, they do not last. I don't tend to have creasing issues, but even with a primer, base, or both, the colors in Drinking a Glass of Shine are significantly creased and faded after just three hours. That's pretty inexcusable, that's the results I'd expect from shadows worn without primer or base. Aside from the second definer shades, this is not what I would expect from Wet n Wild at all. Wet n Wild needs to improve their formula before making this palette part of their permanent range.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No