September 17, 2014 | 983 users online

Shampoo - Matrix - Biolage Exquisite Oil Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

I like this shampoo. I have colored, porous fine curly hair and need help with both conditioning my hair and keeping the color vibrant. Although this shampoo has oils in it I found it no more "heavy feeling" than my Alterna or Kenra shampoos. To be honest, since I alternate my shampoos (I use two on a regular basis) every other time I take a shower I have not noticed that this (or the corresponding conditioner) have left my hair weighed down or oily. In fact I think it has added shine and frizz control to my hair. I am not yet sure as to the effect on my color and so I am reserving judgment on that, but overall I am pleasantly surprised with this shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by HollyWould123

I feel this whole oil thing we're seeing in every beauty product is a fad much like the BB cream trend. However, I do feel oil is much more useful as an ingredient. The problem is those who have oily hair already or oily skin don't really benefit as much from these products.

My hair gets quite oily if I don't wash it for more than 1-2 days. I do like to give it extra moisture because I use heat styling a lot. The only thing when using these oily products is I have to watch the amount and types of styling products I use when it's dry. I loved the smell of this shampoo and I did feel it smoothed my hair out overall. Probably not worth the price or hype, though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 12:15:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This did not dry out my fine, dry hair. I used this with the matching conditioner with good results. My hair is smooth and the ends are not frizzy. I would not repurchase as I am interested in finding a sulfate free cleanser that works for my hair type.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am very surprised that this worked out for me. I also had low expectations when I bought it, but since I love the matching Exquisite Oil, I knew I had to try this. I would classify it as a smoothing shampoo. It does lather gently and does a decent job of cleaning my scalp when I really work it in and let it sit for a few minutes. I wouldn't use it daily on myself and I would have to remember to clarify if I did, since it does feel a bit heavy on my medium textured strands. However, when my hair air-dried it didn't feel too greasy. It looked soft and had sheen and movement. It gave me good curl definition when I used the matching conditioner. I think if I was going to flat-iron my hair, this shampoo would be good for that since it takes some of the bulk away from hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 9:58:00 AM More reviews by LBVero

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this! I am 59, have straight colored thick and rather coarse, blonde hair cut in a Bob and it makes my hair shiny and healthy looking and feeling. I have not experienced any greasiness thus far, cross my fingers! I went from biolage hydrating to this and I loved that too!
Edit, 1 month later, this makes my hair feel greasy and flat within a few hours of washing and blowing it dry.....yuk!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2014 2:58:00 PM More reviews by DemiH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Overall I really liked this product. I have very fine, baby soft hair but have quite a bit of damage on my ends. I use this product daily and it doesn't seem to have much of a buildup. I shampooo my roots only. I then condition by putting most of the conditioner on my midshaft-ends with whatever is leftover on my roots. This way I don't end up with greasy hair, but shiny soft hair. I LOVE the smell of the shampoo but the conditioner has an almost non existant scent. I would buy this product again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2014 9:36:00 AM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What a dud. Back in the 90's, I used Biolage Hydrating Shampoo - it was my go-to and I loved it. But then you move on, try new things, you know how it is. When I saw this newer formula in Ulta, during their $15.99/Litre sale, I read the ingredients list, was impressed with what I saw, and thought, "Why not?"

Ugh. I realize there are oils in this shampoo, but man, oh, man - I was NOT expecting the coated, unclean, heavy, weighed-down feeling they would leave behind. Rarely am I so incredibly displeased with a product right out of the gate. By midday, my hair was limp and greasy-looking.

Because I hate to waste things, and since I DO like the smell (it's the classic Biolage scent), I'll use this as a hand soap and possibly as a body wash. It's not going anywhere near my hair, though.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by laurentate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've left a review for conditioner as well** bought as a gift set for holidays. Minimal to no smell. Nice lather. Very good shampoo for what I was expecting. Will continue to buy conditioner, but probably not shampoo. Shampoo seems drugstore quality honestly but the conditioner is wonderful. It did help weigh down my curls which is nice when I blow dry straight.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2013 6:58:00 PM More reviews by Stepane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked this up at the JC Penney salon a couple of weeks ago when they were having their sale. I went in to get my hands on some Sleek shampoo/conditioner, but the associate pointed me toward Exquisite Oil shampoo and conditioner because she preferred that one, so I thought I should try it. I did like it, and my hair felt clean after washing and soft after conditioning....but it was very clear that there was a ton of oil in there, even though I rinsed well. Of course this is typical for me as I have very fine oily hair. I have to wash every other day or my hair can get pretty funky looking (and not in the cool 80's funky way), and is usually starting to show signs of greasiness toward the end of day 2 before I get out of work. Needless to say, I was NOT surprised when this shampoo and conditioner set with oil in them caused my hair to be a bit oily. I then decided to try it another way....

I have been intrigued by several accounts from women online who have been conditioning their hair before washing it. The reviews are great from those who have tried it, but I am one of those who must have silkysmooth hair. I haven't gone without conditioner in years, and I mean for about the last 25 years (I am 36 now, so most of my life). I was really worried that my hair wouldn't be smooth and would be unmanageable. I am sure you figure that if I made it this far, my fears were unfounded, and you would be right.

I have washed my hair in reverse about three times now, but didn't want to say anything until I was absolutely certain of the results. Here is how I do it: I wet my hair really good, because for some reason conditioner doesn't spread the same on hair that hasn't been washed. Then I put in my Exquisite Oil conditioner, work it in like I would a shampoo, then let it sit for a few minutes. After the conditioner has been in for a few minutes, I get some shampoo and work it into my roots only. NOTE: DO NOT rinse the conditioner out between these steps. After I am done shampooing, I rinse the shampoo and conditioner out of my hair at once.

The result of my reverse hair shampooing is silky smooth hair that is not weighed down, even right now when I am almost off of work on day two. My hair appears fuller, shinier, and is still super soft. Will I continue doing this? Yes. With this product? Absolutely.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by jasiah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My hair dresser recommended this & I love it. It makes my hair shiny.