2.8

on 8/12/2015 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This website is for very young adults who want to experiment with bright colors and gaudy/bold types of makeup--most of which is very cheap. Tipsy does NOT take into your account the personalization quiz whatsoever. In 2 months worth of bags, I only received one item that I would ever even CONSIDER using. After just receiving my 2nd glam bag, I canceled my subscription. The Birchbox people take your profile into high consideration and focus more on skincare (what I really care about). Also, the makeup bags that Ipsy uses to ship the items are tacky & cheap.

on 8/6/2015 9:06:00 AM

I have been a subscriber of ipsy for two years now. Ipsy has helped introduce me to a lot of great brands and products over that time and I now have an awesome selection of travel bags as well (you get one bag with each month's collection of sample products).

Ipsy offers a lot of value for the money (you pay $10 and every month the value of the bag far exceeds $10) and is customized to your needs and interests. Ipsy tends to give more makeup and hair products rather than skin care, body care, or fragrance products. Their quiz sometimes is hit or miss (there are certain products I would rather not receive like hair styling products that I continue to receive) and their color selection tends towards pinks in the lips department (sometimes garishly pink lip colors) and blue in the eye department (I hate blue eyeliner. Seriously, leave it in the 80s please).

I analyzed the last two years' worth of bags and discovered that I only really liked approximately one product per month on average that I would be willing to continue to purchase. While the point of Ipsy is to discover new brands and makeup items, I no longer think that this subscription box is for me, as I am more interested in quality products (over quantity) and also organic and cruelty free products.

That being said, there are many good things about ipsy, like the ability to redeem products after you have acquired a certain number of points from reviews, and the ability to sample so many different things is pretty awesome. I think this is good for those who are just figuring out what they want in terms of beauty products and those who like to experiment. For those who already have a clear picture, there are many great alternatives, especially for those of particular interests (a.k.a. organic products or vegan products).

on 8/5/2015 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

The idea of IPSY is great- sampling items you normally wouldn't purchase for an affordable price. BUT that's where it ends- the idea. The products are definitely not tailored to your profile- very disappointing. The lipstick colors they send are just plain gaudy. But hey if you enjoy looking like a circus clown then go for it! I've gave it two tries ( two months) then ended my subscription. I'll be sticking with my Birchbox.

on 8/1/2015 10:01:00 PM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I just found out that have my package ship to Canada cost me 20 dollars, wow

on 7/13/2015 7:54:00 PM

I actually really like ipsy. They send me great products I wouldn't ordinarily try. The best part about it is their customer service. I've had a few issues but I contacted customer service and they immediately fix whatever problem I may be having. The downside to it is that I feel they don't listen to my beauty quiz. I get products that I just don't want and will never buy. But I also get products I never would have tried and surprisingly love.

on 6/23/2015 8:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Ipsy is for make-up lovers!!! I love make-up and love to try new and different products. I couldn't believe some of the reviews that I have read. So negative! You receive random makeup that is based off of your profile. Sometimes you will get random things that you cannot use. I give those things as a gift to someone for Christmas or their birthday. Only, of course, if I feel like they can use it and if I feel like they will like it. Either way, it always works out. I LOVE MY IPSY GLAM BAGS!!!!

on 5/20/2015 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I used to love ipsy for its cheap and wonderful idea. I especially love the makeup pouches, I see that 2015's bags are even cuter!

But that's the only thing I love about ipsy—the makeup bags. The stuff inside are crappy dollar-store makeup. True, the value you get for ipsy is incredible for $10 but I definitely wouldn't pay original price for ANY of these items. In fact they are worth the $10 total. $10CAD I mean. I paid $20CAD for this to come to Canada.

Okay some brands I am pretty happy receiving: Zoya, NYX, Pop Beauty, and high-end samples like Urban Decay Revolutionary Lipstick. But all in shades I would never use. We're talking about bright pink, unpopular* reds, overly glittery stuff.
*unpopular like... the ones that never sell

Often the makeup are not everyday colours. They're more "Let's play princesses at home!" kind of stuff.

I subscribed for half a year, loved and kept all the bags, and tossed away almost everything else. All eyeliners and mascara were terrible to the point they were unusable, eyeshadows are "ew I didn't know these colours existed", and skincare items have ingredients that would irritate any face. I kept a Zoya nail polish, a Starlooks lipliner, and the UD sample.

1 star for the lovely makeup bags
2nd star for the thrill of receiving this in the mailbox and its cheap price

I decided my $20 per month can be wisely spent somewhere else.

I'm in love with Ipsy! They have beauty quiz that lets them know what kind of products you like the most, which works for me .I have retaken the quiz and my bags contain has changed. Of course, nobody can guarantee you won't receive something you don't like, but it's absolutely normal, since it's still sample service. Their points system is great, I was able to get full size Benefit Cha Cha tint this month. Also they have this Sneak Peak thing, it feels like surprise every month, keeps you excited! They send a lot of full size products, sometimes it's high end, sometimes drug store (i don't see anything terrible in drug store brands). Plus products come with a cute cosmetic bag. So much fun! Whole concept is just awesome. If you do use all type of make up products, if you're open for trying different shades, if you do understand that it's a sample service you'll be happy with Ipsy as much as i am. $10 a month. It's totally worth it! Here if you're interested!

on 4/15/2015 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Cheap. Made in China Products with low grade ingredients.
Amazing Marking and Amazing Social Presence.
Would rather receive less products (2-3 items) made from better quality then 5 drug store brand talc infused cheap products.

but boy they know how to market and hook a customer! Just not keep one.
This brand is best for teenager and young adults.

I discontinued my membership.

Ipsy service is terrible. Advertises personalized bags but they are far from personalized. I got a bag that was far from personalized. I spent ten dollars and got nothing I could use. Colors are not for my coloring and skin type, they sent products I had stated I do not use (they sent mascara which I cannot use). When I complained, I was told "be happy, you got make up!" What use is getting make up if I can't use any of it? Big waste.

Popular Other Products