September 21, 2014 | 2059 users online

Other - ipsy

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2014 7:06:00 PM More reviews by Raygirl007

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It seems to me that the IPSY bags are getting progressively chinzier (is that a word?) as the months go by. A couple more months and I may cancel. The thing that really keeps me from doing it is the enclosed makeup bag each time (although some of them have been HORRID and I'd be embarrassed to give them to a 5 year old they are so tacky). If they ever get rid of the makeup bag, I'm out. Rarely are the samples "high end" and usually only 1 or 2 of the products each month are worth trying. That being said, it IS only ten bucks, which is pretty cheap considering that includes shipping. So, maybe I expect too much - I don't know.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by HeidiF69

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was an Ipsy member from the beginning, and cancelled it a few months ago. When they stated as "MyGlam" they promised samples from upscale brands. This happened only a couple times. I got a tiny lipstick from Urban Decay once - and not everyone gets those in their bag. It was the most garish color of hot pink, it was unwearable. The rest of the time, they give you oddly awful brands you've never heard of (Starlooks, JCat) and you find that these things are either found at Kmart or the dollar store.
They have you fill out a lengthy questionaire so they can "customize" your bag. They don't. I believe they sent me at least five red lipsticks and three sets of false lashes. If they do offer any good samples, they have a very limited number, and the rest of the subscribers are stuck with a neon nail polish or dregs from prior bags. Many times, items arrive broken since they are just sent via bubble mailer. Sometimes they replace, other times they send you through an annoying circut of emails, never to do anything in the end. So not worth it. I'd prefer to take my $10 and buy myself something I've selected so that I know I'll use it.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2014 11:50:00 AM More reviews by rubykarina4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was skeptical about subscribing to get my first Ipsy bag, but all the products inside where so worth it. Products I wouldn't really go out to buy in the store were in my bag and I loved them all. Ipsy def gives you the opportunity to try things that you might have not tried on your own! Attached is my video review on my first Ipsy bag. Feel free to take a look at it and see what all the products look like.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2014 1:57:00 PM More reviews by bmclaugh

I am a current subscriber and I can say that this is 100% better than Birchbox. My bag always has stuff that is geared towards my taste, although some of the products I am not in love with it gives me a chance to try them out anyway.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by candigirl4

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I am a recent subscriber to Ipsy and a subscriber to Birchbox also. I actually like Ipsy more because they tend to send the kind of things I like which are makeup items. Sometimes you get a hair product too and skin products but they lean a little more toward the makeup arena and that's fine with me. If you love makeup then you should like Ipsy very well. Jcat false lashes come inside the Ipsy bags frequently, Pop beauty lip gloss and lip crayons, Be A Bombshell cosmetics, NYX, Urban Decay, the Balm, Starlooks, etc. Nice variety and its totally worth the $10 and FREE shipping. No foil sample sizes. You get full size items which is worth the $10 a month and a different really cute makeup bag each month. Very nice. I feel like I get my moneys worth with Ipsy, unlike Birchbox. Birchbox tends to be a little off balance in their boxes. Too much tea, mini size sample candy bars and hair bands in Birchbox, and not enough makeup and minimal tiny sample size skin care items. So Ipsy is my favorite so far.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by Lipstickjunkie4

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I loved my ipsy subscription in the beginning, (yeah u read it right LOVED).. I ended up cancelling it though because it seems that they just dont care.. I paid for my subscription every month and enjoyed getting my goodies.. it was like christmas every month BUT it got really old when they would start sending me the previous months bags because they "RAN OUT". They did this to me 2 times which was 2 times too much! I was upset and contacted them and they basically brushed me off! I think that since they made us wait for an invitation for about a month until there was availability then this shouldnt be happening! I sent over referrals after I joined and they got added AFTER ME and were receiving their correct bags. I thought if the problem would be corrected, maybe I would have stayed but after the initial response I received after I first contacted them, I WILL NEVER GIVE THEM MY MONEY AGAIN!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 8:45:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

Ipsy is another monthly sample service. For about $10 a month, you get 4-5 samples. No foil packets here--everything is deluxe or full size. You can also customize your choices through the Ipsy Beauty Quiz, as well as through reviewing products every month. Instead of sending samples in a box, they have a twist: the monthly stash of samples comes in a small makeup bag. Each month it's a different bag style. Of course, this does mean that you end up with all of these makeup bags after a while. I keep the ones I like and donate the rest to Goodwill.

As for the products, Ipsy is--like most other sample services--hit or miss. Ipsy's samples are more generous in size, and it's common to see at least one, if not two or more, full size products every month. There is also a good mix of well-known and little-known brands. You can review products as well. There is also a discount on that month's featured brands; however, unlike the other sample services where you order from the sample service website, with Ipsy you get discount codes to use at the brands' websites.

However, Ipsy ranks right up with Sample Society as far as repeat offenders go: they tend to repeat brands frequently...sometimes even in consecutive months. My latest repeated brand was J.Cat.

The other problem Ipsy has is that, for all of their touting that sample bags are "customized" for each member, they're very good at IGNORING user preferences. I keep indicating that I don't want hair products and what do you think comes nearly every month? Yes, hair products. I tell them that I'm not crazy about a certain brand, and it's almost guaranteed that another sample from that brand will show up in the next month or two. While I realize that my preferences do not guarantee that I will or won't receive a certain type of sample, it seems as though Ipsy goes out of its way to override my preferences, almost as though they're trying to force me to like a product or brand.

I'm not the only member with this complaint: a glance at the Ipsy boards shows that a lot of other members have similar frustrations.

But again, for $10, I get a lot of product to try out, and I've spent as much or more on some big beauty mistakes. So they're worth giving it a try. They have monthly and yearly subscription available. I suggest you try it out on a monthly basis first; that way, if you're not happy, you can cancel. With the yearly subscription, the cost per bag is lower, but if you're not happy, you can't get a refund for any remaining months.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by jennarae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been with Ipsy (previously MyGlam) for 4 months and I LOVE it! I have not received one bag that wasn't fantastic. There may be an item or two I won't use or dislike but that is fine considering
1. it's $10/month
2. they send out Urban Decay, Josie Maran, and other great brands
3. The items are truly deluxe sized samples or full sized

I seriously can't say enough great things about this service... I just hope that the quality and amazing items continue in the future.

Pay attention to gift promotions they are running as well! I ordered a gift subscription for a friend of mine in December and I was rewarded with a full-size high end brand (Sutra) straightener at no extra cost.

Bottom line: Love!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I subscribed to the monthly service and just got my first bag today, and I absolutely love it. The products inside are very good quality, and the makeup bag it all comes in is great as well. None of it feels cheap, like cardboard wrapped tiny vials or anything (what one usually expects of the idea of samples). They are deluxe size samples (as well as a couple full size) in the same packaging as one would find of a regular size in a store, and I am very pleased with that. I would highly recommend ipsy because it is well worth the $10 a month and besides, who doesn't like getting beauty items in the mail? I really like the idea of a new different makeup bag every month.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 1:39:00 PM More reviews by daisyeyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This review is for Michelle Phan's ipsy subscription sample service. This used to be myglambag.

Just received my first (Nov. '12) ipsy package. I'm a former Birchbox subscriber. After my Birchbox disappointments, I am thrilled to say ipsy is off to a great start. I received five products and will give all five a shot. They were: The Balm eyeshadow in Matt Batali, Nailtini polish in Millionaire (full size!), Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie gloss in Dare Devil, Starlet pencil liner in All I Want is Peace, Love, and Chocolate, and Benefit They're Real! Mascara. These samples seem like they are more targeted to what a sample service should be than I ever felt like Birchbox was. Everything is a cosmetic item. No food, no men's cologne, no hair ties, no earbuds, no other randomness. I felt like this was a good value for $10, which includes the samples, a cosmetic bag, and shipping in a cute bubblewrap envelope (will be repurposing this for shipping a MUA swap). Another thing I loved was the email with tracking info. Ipsy ships UPS, so you can see what the actual progress of your package is, not just mailed or delievered like USPS.

Great first month with ipsy. I'll report back after I receive future ipsy packages.

Update: two more months and I still love ipsy. I haven't been sold on every single item, but that's to be expected. I've received some great item I otherwise wouldn't have discovered, and even the misses were fun to try. As I mentioned previously, everything is a cosmetic or skincare item. Love!