April 21, 2014 | 994 users online

Mascara - Origins - GinZing Brightening Mascara

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by susiej

A nice enough mascara- not a wonder product or HG but pleasant enough.

I like the big fat tube ~(to accommodate the big fat brush) it makes you feel you are getting a lot more for your money when the product is substantial. The brush is a traditional spooley fibre one (not rubbery) but it is quite wide. This can makes things a little awkward when you apply. For the first week or so I made a real mess of my eyes applying with it because you need to be careful and make allowances for the size.

The mascara promises to 'lengthen and lift' I think it does a good to average job. I am not bowled over by the results but nor could I say I was disappointed.

It removes reasonably easily with water and doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes.

The reason it hasn't received a higher rating from me is that mascara technology has really come a long way in the last decade or so and you can buy innovative, cheaper products from a lot of the drugstore brands. So it is difficult to justify the cost unless it delivers something special.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/5/2013 12:50:00 AM More reviews by brighteyes22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Didn't do anything for my lashes. Not impressed with the formula. The brush seemed almost scratchy. Final straw was the fact that when I wore it, my eyes burned and were itchy. I have tried a zillion different mascaras and can honestly say that has never happened. Will not repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 1:30:00 AM More reviews by FusiaFever

I love this mascara! Along with being paraben free and not tested on animals, it actually works! I bought this after seeing a review with photos. I really saw the improvements in the photo, but I thought it was an isolated case. Not so! I got the same results after purchase of my own tube of this mascara.

The brush is rather large with really soft bristles. This makes the brush very different than what is out on the market right now, sparse plastic bristles. I find that this mascara is super dark and really does a great job on top lashes. It is A PUSH UP BRA! On the lower lashes, the brush is hard to maneuver due to size. Even the Origins sales person had a hard time getting my lower lash line.

However, I do love how big it makes your lashes look. Very full and long! It was really impressive on me.

So, yes I do recommend this mascara. It gives you those natural luscious lashes. It isn't that clumpy lash look, if you are going for that. Will probably repurchase, if I don't see anything better. Price was around $15.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by SheGlowsPale

I keep coming back to this one! Which is impressive because I barely ever repurchase a mascara, since there is a million to choose from and they are all very similar realistically. But this one is different. It's mega soft (so soft I can actually reapply it mid day and not get a clumpy spidery mess) but while so soft it's the only mascara that lifts my lashes and KEEPS them lifted. It's like a "bra for your lashes". I didn't like the big brush at first but I don't care anymore it makes such a lush difference in my lashes like no other mascara I've used (screw you diorshow, you're really not that impressive.) I'm never going to stop buying new mascaras but I will always have this on hand for when my lashes need to look perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2013 1:20:00 AM More reviews by rebeccapang

I wish it came in waterproof not because it smudges or anything, in fact it stay on for a long time with no smudges, but I do want waterproof version so it will hold the curl. Originz claim their products are natural but this one contains some unsafe ingredients: Urea, PVP and other ones I cant quite remember. Overall I like it because its safer than most other mascaras out there.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2013 2:38:00 AM More reviews by rolltide17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like that this mascara is made sans parabens, but other than that, it didn't stick out too much to me and wasn't better than any $7 or $8 drugstore mascara. The brush itself is very large and full, and I have short lashes so that didn't work out the greatest. The formula itself was very good and I didn't find clumping to be a problem. Overall I think this is a decent mascara, but not really worth the price. I bought one more tube a while back but I think I will revert back to cheaper alternatives after I'm done using that up (broke college student here:(

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2013 9:50:00 PM More reviews by chihuaualover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS MASCARA. After using Lush's mascara and being disappointed I went on a search for a new mascara that is not tested on animals. I finally came across Origins. I am in love! I love the big tube (much different from the Lush's tiny tube) and I LOVE the brush itself. It separates my lashes without clumps. Holds my curl pretty well, not amazingly however.This mascara washes off easily with soap and water, no need to use makeup remover.

I have been using this for one month and plan on buying it forever. Worth the money!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2013 8:47:00 PM More reviews by Ebecks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Lovely mascara. I have long full lashes so I normally just put one coat on and it's perfect for my "no makeup, makeup" days. I have sensitive eyes and I have had no issues with this mascara. Lovely natural looking mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by solacium

Type of Lashes I Have:
Short, pin-straight with not a lot of fullness. I have very typical East Asian lashes, the only difference is that my lashes do not naturally point downwards. I also rarely curl my lashes because that can do more harm when done too frequently. My eyelids are on the oily side, too.

Opinion on Formula:
After about two months of usage, I actually enjoy using this. It is, indeed, very thick and can appear rather "goopey" to some; especially if you're using it for the very first time. Because of the thick formulation, it definitely goes on quite dark (I wouldn't say extremely black though) and may causes clumping and making lashes stick together when applied too heavily. I like the fact that this formula does not contain any waxes, so it won't dry out your lashes as much as other mascaras, but because it doesn't contain wax this formula has the tendency to easily run and smear on oily lids or just wear out in extremely humid weather. Because of this, I can't really wear this in hot climates because the heat combined with my oily lids will only result in my mascara running off. In the long run, my lashes always appear longer and fuller without feeling hard and "crunchy." Depending how much I use, it doesn't flake on me. The claim that the mascara has some sort of "brightening" effect is rather rubbish. I wouldn't agree to that. Not sure what they mean by brightening, because curling my lashes always imparts a brightening effect. However, the formula itself will not make your eyes look brighter. I also notice that I don't lose eyelashes during removal, which is always a plus!

Opinions on the Brush:
The brush is very large and full and seems more suited for people with naturally long, and thick lashes. For people like me, short and not-so-full lashes, the brush will be difficult to work with at first. Because there are so many bristles, the brush always, always picks up more product than it should -- I don't think the mascara tube has a narrow scraper built-in to remove the excess when you take out the wand from the tube. In any case, due to excess product you'll definitely have to wipe the brush down. Always. It's such a shame because that causes waste, but it's the only way for me to get lashes that are clump-free and feathery. I actually have to remove 90% of the product off the mascara wand because I apply anything because the formula is so thick that it just makes it hard to prevent clumping.

Final Verdict:
I love the formula, and I love how it keeps my lashes healthy-looking without flaking or crunchiness. But if you have short, stick-straight lashes that easily clump together when you use mascara in general, be forewarned that this mascara will cause just that -- you just need to get used to the wand and figure out the best way to adjust the application to fit your needs. Even if it means wasting product by wiping off all of the mascara off of the wand.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by shauna510

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this mascara. I first saw it on youtube when missmaven (? i forget) used it and it made her lashes freaking amazing! The girl in the video had naturally long, thick, curled lashes anyway, but it made me go out and buy it. I have short, sparse, stick straight lashes and found that it didn't hold my curl AT ALL. I curled them first, and they fell straight away after applying one coat; however...When i tried it with one thin layer of a waterproof mascara underneath to hold the curl, my lashes looked amazing. Long, full, thick, lifted, amazing.

The brush is very tricky and difficult to use. I think the longer bristles keep you from going in too close, and the smaller bristles within are able to coat just the tips adding tons of length. The brush may be huge and difficult to use, but I think it's the brush design that makes it able to do what it does, so i'm willing to do the best I can with the brush because the results are amazing!