November 27, 2014 | 1304 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Train Bleu

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2014 9:58:00 PM More reviews by Twinkz2Winkz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an amazing lip product. The colour payoff alone, is well worth the 30 or so odd dollars you pay for the small 2.4 grams of product. This is a colour that generally looks good on a wide variety of skintones (it really depends on the look you're going for). Of course, I would suggest trying it out before purchasing because the colour on your lips isn't anything much like the colour of the crayon, (it comes on much darker on the lips). The product goes on smooth and creamy and dries to a very near true matte finish (it doesn't come of entirely paper dry, but that's probably because of the humectants that keep your lip from drying out as a result of this product), but it definitely doesn't come off creamy enough to call it anything other than a matte finish. And unlike other matte colours (I'm comparing this to Mac's and Clinique's lines of matte lipsticks), this is pleasantly moisturizing. And another bonus to this was, it didn't seep into any little cracks and wrinkles like other matte lipsticks (namely Ruby Woo). However, I would suggest scrubbing/exfoliating the lips before application and of course to moisturize it, only because the flaking is ultimately unavoidable. Your lips will flake with any matte lip product.
Having said that, I only needed a light application of lip balm(I used Smith's strawberry lip balm) and NYX's jumbo lip primer and 2 coats of this stuff and I was good to go. I usually have to reapply or rather heavily apply lip moisturizer before using a matte lip product, but with I had no such concerns. I've worn this by itself with just the lip balm and my lips still didn't try out.My lips stayed well moisturized through the entire wear of 3 hours (that's only because I didn't reapply after drinking from a glass). I know it's not the lip balm or the primer because I've used them both with other matte lip products. It must be the NARS!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 11:59:00 AM More reviews by babysharks

This is the perfect dark, vampy lipstick. It's so beautiful and rich. I want to love this color, but can't! The formula is the real killer here; it is so drying and clings to any dryness on the lip. I experience a good deal of dragging and pulling with applying Train Bleu, even when I have a nice creamy liner on. I always exfoliate before putting lipsticks and glosses on, but no luck. I've tried sharpening before application, but haven't found a way to make this product work for me. I love Nars' other Velvet Matte Lip Pencils, but this one is not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have quite fair neutral skin tone, with dark hair and hazel eyes, and I never fail to get compliments when i wear Train Bleu. It's a fabulous deep blue red. GothicCharmSchool called it, "the perfect dark blackberry wine", which is a wonderful description.

NARS Lip Pencils are lipstick in pencil form. It has a finer point than most other "chubby" lipstick crayons i've tried, giving better control over color application, but it is not as fine as a normal lip liner.

I have never had any trouble putting it on. It always covers smoothly and evenly.

Mattes tend to last longer than other lipstick types, and this does stay for hours if you aren't eating or drinking anything (and i don't lick my lips). But you will need to reapply Train Bleu after meals or snacks, as most foods and hot drinks tend to take it off. This leaves a layer of deep color on the outer edge of the lips and no color on the inner. Since this is such a strong color it more obvious than with lighter colors. I don't consider this much of a drawback, because i have to reapply any lipstick occasionally anyway. Just be sure to check when eating or drinking.

I occasionally use this as a base for an ombre' lip look. Lately i've been putting on Train Bleu, then Kat von D "Oh My Goth" lipstick in the center of my lips. But i've played around with other matte lipsticks for fun.

And i couldn't resist buying it, because -- besides absolutely loving the color -- I actually rode on Le Train Bleu when i was 12, on took a trip to France with my parents in 1961. It travelled between Calais and the French Riviera, and operated from 1886 until 2003. Sadly this is now as close as we can get to it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by jessmarie09

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I actually threw this product in the garbage after using it for two months -- and this is an expensive lip pencil. First, I own other NARS velvet matte lip pencils and love them. This color is the only one that gives me issues. I love the vampy matte look this lip pencil gives you. It is beautiful if that's the look you are going for. BUT, and this is a huge BUT, this formula is extremely difficult to use. You have to exfoliate your lips and moisturize them in advance. Your lips have to be dry to the touch when you apply it--otherwise it goes on uneven. And the product fades really ugly - fading away almost in its entirety on the inside of the lip and leaving a chunky lining around the lips. Too often I went outside with this lip pencil on my lips only to find - to my absolute horror- upon checking myself in a mirror later on in the day that my lips looked a hot mess. This happened more than five times. There is probably a way to "work with" this pencil, but for the price and NARS reputation - I expect better quality.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2013 7:53:00 PM More reviews by JoyMultiplication

the color is so perfect, and I've been wearing it almost too much for such a striking shade. but no regrets on this impulse buy. Love the matte aspect, it's really the only way to wear darker shades - absolutely the best looking matte lipstick I've tried.
PROS:
the color, no need to layer this on, it's perfect in one stroke - what a great texture
the pencil makes it easy to apply and touch up, important as it's so dark.
goes with all my darker outfits this fall/winter
CONS:
A little bit drying- need to exfoliate
needs to be worn alone, anything underneath or over the top can mess up how it looks/applies.
pretty expensive, I'd have to really save up-have second thoughts about buying it again (but I would)
Easily rubs off - get a little lipstick ring and need to reapply after approx. 4 hrs. and need to immediately reapply if I've eaten or drank anything.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by MES

Matte velvet lip pencils are a bit of a hybrid between a lip liner, and a lipstick. I think for dark shades such as this one the packaging is absolutely innovative and perfect. The tip is smaller than that of products like Clinique Chubby Sticks, or Tarte Lipsurgence Lipstains, but larger than a lip liner. The size makes it easy to control, and fill the lips precisely which is a requirement for such a dark shade.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2013 4:07:00 AM More reviews by samiiyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product looks terrible on me. I have very fair skin, and based on reviews I've read Train Bleu looks great on fair skinned people. Not on me! I have a pretty neutral skin tone. This also has really bad lasting power and wore off within like 20 minutes of me wearing it. It also goes on really patchy, so if you happen to like this color on you and don't care that it fades really quickly, then definitely exfoliate and moisturize your lips REALLY well. I'm returning this to Sephora, unfortunately!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Theasylph

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love these matte lip pencils by nars. They're my favorite lipstick. I love the texture and the staying power. This color is such a rad dark gothy eggplant. It looks great even on my olive complexion. Really unusual. Great color and product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2013 3:13:00 AM More reviews by kelseykay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

ALWAYS get compliments when I'm wearing this lip pencil! The color is easy to manipulate and make much darker or lighter than what it is. Kind of intimidating seeing as it is so rich but I like to smudge it and make it a lighter hue of purple. Stunning color on fair skin, it's become a staple in my makeup kit!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have a love/hate relationship with Velvet Matte Pencils - Train Bleu is no exception. The color of this pencil is absolutely, drop dead, gorgeous. It applies like an absolute dream. Seriously, it glides on like butter. It is comfortable to wear on the lips, not drying or tight feeling at all.

I feel like this is where the problem lies -

I hate the staying power of these. Loathe it, even. This wears off so incredibly fast, and it wears off from the inside out, so I'm stuck with that "ring around the lips" look. Dreadfully obvious in a color so dark.

I also find these are so easy to remove. They wipe off just as smoothly as they apply - which is great when you're taking your face off - not so great when you're trying to wear them for the day.

They leave no stain behind. The comfortable wear of this I think is it's wear time downfall. Since it doesn't cling or stain, it just sits above the lips.

I still love this shade, though. SO much. It's the PERFECT vampy fall lip. It's sexy and a little bit evil. Guess I'll just have to reapply.