April 21, 2014 | 895 users online

Mascara - Sephora - Outrageous Volume - Dramatic volume mascara

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Kjameyson

I LOVE this mascara. Only one I use I buy over and over again. Yes, it gets flakey sometimes. But if you replace every 3 months as you should with ANY mascara..it is perfect. I have shorter, blond eyelashes that look incredibly lengthy and black with this. Wonderful color and wonderful product. A must.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/29/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by InfinityGuitars

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently got Outrageous Volume mascara & I'm was thoroughly upset & let down by it. Understand that I was definitely interested in it & although it isn't the worst mascara I've used, if I ran out or lost this product, I wouldn't buy it again. It has it's ups & downs.

Pros:
The colour (I have 01 Black) is a deep, true colour. The mascara does what the name says; it's good for the volume & length! I like the brush & how it curved/curled my eyelashes & I also liked the long, thick, "falsie" look I got from using it. Finally, it does last all day... after the flaking stops.

Cons:
This mascara is ridiculously flaky! Sad to say, this mascara flaked something awful & began to be painful! It left my eyes red & irritated. A day later, my eyes were still red! What's even sadder: "Tested under ophthalmological control, this mascara was found suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers." What ophthalmologist?! As a woman who both has sensitive eyes & wears contacts, this was important to me.

Next, the thin (almost watery) formula. Because of the gloopy consistency, it's messy. Lastly, this mascara takes too long to set & for a few minutes after applying, my eyelashes literally felt wet & "weighed down," if that makes sense; although the mascara is thin, it's really easy to over-apply & clump up your lashes.

More than anything else, the excessive flaking upset me because I don't wear contacts just to wear them; I wear them because need to see & I just can't risk having itchy, irritated eyes. In spite of my bad experience, I'm going to try it once or twice more with my contacts & a few without just to be fair & to see if I can work with it or if I can wear it underneath another mascara. Even though I'm not too pleased, because of the cost ($15 or 16), I don't just want to throw it away. I'll post results & keep you all updated!

UPDATE #1 - I tried it again both before & after putting my contacts in & it still burned & irritated my eyes
UPDATE #2 - I tried it without contacts & the same redness, itchiness, & irritation occurred

rated 3 of 5 on 9/21/2013 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Jen283

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this mascara because I was in Sephora, needed a mascara, and I like high-impact, lots-of-volume on my lashes, since I pretty much never wear falsies.

As far as the brush, it is alright, but every time I pull it out of the tube I have to wipe off the clumps on the brush.

I can usually get nice volume with minimal clumps with this mascara, just because I've been doing it for years.

HOWEVER:
9 times out of 10 when I use this, this product takes forever to dry... and since I do my eyes last, I get dots on my lid and under my eye! It's so annoying to have to go back and fix my shadow/concealer.

Overall: there are drugstore mascaras that do the same thing for a cheaper price, but that actually dry quickly and don't end up on my lids/under my eyes. I would not buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by mccarla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this mascara for $15 on a whim. The packaging (which is bulky, but "plush") caught my eye. I typically prefer to use multiple mascaras to complete my look, so I assumed I'd use this as a step-two mascara, after a coat of a lengthening formula. For testing purposes, I applied one coat to bare lashes and was easily able to catch the shorter corner lashes. I found the brush to be very similar to Benefit's They're Real! which is my all-around favorite mascara.

I let the first coat dry for about 45 seconds before applying a second. I didn't experience clumping or "spider eyes." In fact, I was able to use this mascara without a lash comb, which is a rarity for me. I had very little product on my eyelid afterward. After two coats, my lashes were definitely voluminous. A third coat tipped the scale into outrageous and I'm in love. The mascara holds a curl and I didn't have any problems with flaking throughout the day.

I can't say it's cheap, but it's cheaper than They're Real! and I'm loyal to mascaras that can deliver that kind of drama on their own. I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 2:32:00 AM More reviews by lisamarie11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best Mascara I have ever used. I am always on the look out for the newest and best mascara that can make my lashes long. This is the one for that. I normally don't pay over $10 for mascara but I had to try this and I'm glad I did.. it was worth the $20 I spent. It makes your lashes full and lengthy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2013 2:03:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

If clumpy spider lashes are your thing, then this is a great mascara. If you're hoping for voluminous yet well defined lashes, this one isn't for you! I fall into the latter camp, so I'm not really wild about this one. It delivers good thickness, plus length if you work at it, but it'll look pretty cakey unless you blot the mascara wand after every dip in the tube or make good use of a lash comb.

The way the tube and brush are designed, there's going to be a lot of excess product on your brush as your pull it out. You can try to scrape it along the sides of the tube, but that creates a mess too. I'm not crazy about the brush design. It has short, fine plastic bristles that are positioned in stripes down the length of the brush head. There are dead zones were there aren't any bristles and those are the places excess product loves to hide. Using it on the lower lashline can be particularly tricky.

I do like though that this mascara is very black, long wearing and doesn't flake. A lot of heavy volume mascaras can leave my under eye area dusted with black debris by the end of the day but this doesn't. It's not waterproof, but I don't have a problem with it smudging during the day. Even if my eyes water, it resists running so long as I don't touch my eyes.

I wouldn't repurchase this, but I don't think it's a bad mascara. It just produces a style of lashes that I don't really favor.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by Sarahjuang

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For asian lashes, this mascara is a nightmare, is has a super wet formula, takes forever to dry and feels very heavy on my eyelashes. I bought this mascara because I had a friend who absolutely loved it, so I bought it and hated it. After a few months, the mascara isn't as wet and sometimes I like to layer it on top of another mascara (that works for my lashes) to get more volume. I wouldn't go through the trouble of buying this mascara again, it wasn't worth it and I can probably find tons of better mascaras for cheaper.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by csnyder22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara can be messy when you first start using it. My first impression was: this mascara is way too thick. But I started using an old benefit mascara wand that I recycled after the initial mascara application to separate my lashes. After about a week of using this method, I realized that the sephora mascara formula must have dried out a bit because it did not come out nearly as thick on the wand. This allowed for smoother coverage, better application, and a GREAT voluminous look for a GREAT price! It works wonders after you get past the thick mess for the first couple of applications!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 6:41:00 AM More reviews by dwagyak

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As in life, we are all very different people and the absolute panorama of makeup lines who are doing very well means that it is rare that we would all love the same thing. Every year, voters of most "Best in Beauty" polls tell me over and over that Maybelline's Great Lash ('that pink and green tube!') is the best thing since chocolate and all I know is that I didn't like it when I was younger and it has not changed my mind when I've tried it in my advanced years.

I have tried a ton of mascaras, both drugstore and prestige brands, because my eyes are what I choose to focus on even when running out the door. I always aim for a touch of smudged eyeliner drawn from the middle of the eyelid out to the end, followed by mascara. I also do very slight eyebrow fill-in, but I don't always get around to eye shadow, depending on time.

I've done the top Dior mascaras and the top Lancôme mascaras and they deserve their top-tier status that ensures the high price tags. I'll assume that most who read this site know that Lancôme 'owns' Maybelline and most of Lancôme's ideas do make it into their drugstore 'sisters' formulations.

I also try to clean off mascara brushes with a cotton round soaked in eye makeup remover at least once a week. For me, I want to have clean brushes where the buildup of extra mascara is lessened in order for the brushes to really be able to do their job. A bit more cleaner than simply pulling the brush through the opening of the mascara tube,

So after getting a chance to get a free Sephora 'Outrageous Volume' mini-tube/sample size, I took it. I was ready to place it under the heading of 'it's okay'. But a funny thing happened on the way to waiting for the 'okayness' to kick in - I totally and utterly fell in love!

I am THRILLED with how this mascara makes my eyelashes longer and thicker after one use. I then usually wait about 20 seconds and apply a second coat. My eyes are immediately worthy of any focus. Can there be clumps? Sure, but it does not happen very much and I usually have an eyelash comb to separate out any clumps.

I even use a bit on my lower lashes (a no-no at my age, but it does frame my eyes).
And I don't notice mascara creep down under my eye and on my cheek from regular wear throughout the day. If I sleep in it (not a common occurrence), well then there are the usual raccoon-eye issues.

This is the first time I have ever written a review like this for Make-up Alley. If you love your Lancôme Definicils and Dior DiorShow mascaras, beg for a sample of Outrageous Volume at a Sephora store and try it. If you like it - here comes the tough part. You're going to have to pay a whole 15 dollars plus tax. But you'll definitely regret it if you never look into it.

Yes, the case is a large faux plastic-quilted cover. Again, that works for me - I usually have larger purse and this mascara is easily found when rummaging through those purses,

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by cpetersen

I did like this product, but it can be very clumpy and messy. It is very easy to get off though, which can be a positive and a negative. I like taking it off at night but when it's hot out it can run rather easily. Overall I thought this product was okay, but I will not be buying it again.