Pantene Expert Collection Age Defy Advanced Thickening Treatment

3.5

Alcohol Denat., Water, Niacinamide, PEG/PPG 20/23 Dimethicone, Caffeine, Acrylates/C10 30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance, Panthenol, Triethanolamine

on 7/2/2015 11:39:00 AM

This product is scary!!!
I've never written a review before but I feel i should share my experience so that it can be useful to other people: this product left me with a big BALD PATCH on my head, I was terrified!
After suffering for 3 or 4 day of itching, I noticed that my scalp was very red at the front of my head but I didn't think it was because of the new Pantene shampoo and conditioner I had been using for a week. The next day I woke up and noticed I had LOST ALL MY HAIR IN THAT AREA! It was horrible and very visible, I went to see the dermatologist, did lot of exams and cried a lot...eventually, after 4 and half months my hair started to re-grew very slowly. This is what they call 'contact dermatitis', it can happen with products that contains lots of horrible chemicals...My suggestion is: stay away from this product!

on 4/9/2015 11:28:00 PM

Okay. I purchased this product strictly for the topical caffeine. I am currently attempting to grow my hair to tailbone (or longer).
I have read a fair amount of research which indicates caffeine applied to hair roots in a 15% solution can speed growth substantially. So, I am not actually using this for immediate thickening; I am actually using this product in order to accelerate total growth and increase length.
I normally average 3/4 inch of hair growth per month, but I have exceeded 1 inch per month as a result of using this every 3rd day. In 4 months I grew just under 5 inches of hair!
After reading studies, I discovered that caffeine has the ability to block DHT. This is the same hormonal by-product which causes baldness in men who are predisposed. DHT also causes thinning/loss of hair in menopausal and post-menopausal women. This happens because estrogen production declines thereby allowing testosterone to become the dominant hormone, hence the DHT component. Apparently,caffeine also increases follicular blood flow which translates to accelerated growth.
The nice thing about the topical application of caffeine is the uptake quickly reaches a saturation level in 30 minutes and remains active in the hair follicles for an average if 72 hours. So, I don't see the virtue of allowing the product to remain for a long duration. I also read that exceeding this application process can be detrimental to long term results by actually leading to hair loss.
A balancing act, no doubt. Wonder if Pantene knows this? I don't mean to be cynical, but perhaps the company is pushing an excessive amount of product under the circumstances. That would certainly increase revenue without actually increasing the efficacy of the treatment...
I only use Pantene's Thickening Serum twice per week, leave on for about an hour and wash my hair. Following these guidelines, I am very happy with my increase in hair growth.
I hope this review is helpful.

on 2/25/2015 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is the first beauty review I have ever made. My experience was so bad I feel a need to warn others.

I am 38 y/o. I have color treated shoulder length hair. My hair is oily and tends to frizz easily.

I first tried this product about 4 months ago. It didn't seem to do anything to my hair (good or bad) so I stopped using it and kind of forgot about it. About 2 weeks ago I decided to give it another try hoping I would see cumulative results if I stuck with it. I saw results. Just not the kind anyone would want.

This product didn't just give me split ends. Sections of my hair have burned away! Chunks of my hair near the front are dramatically shorter than the rest of my hair. I havent seen damage like this since I tried to bleach my own hair as a teenager!

This is shocking to me b/c Pantene is my hands down favorite shampoo/conditioner maker. I hope my review saves others from the hair hell I now live in!

on 7/29/2014 1:44:00 PM

This is a great alternative to salon products. I found it to work very well at conditioning, and for a substantially less price than salon brands. No product out there will fix everything, but it is a good conditioner. Did not weigh hair down or feel greasy.

on 5/27/2014 4:48:00 PM

Wow! I just used this for the first time and I know why they call it "Age Defy". I have always had straight, silky fine hair with little body. I get regular highlights to try to create some fullness, but as I've gotten older my hair, while still on the oily side, has begun to dry out and look and feel "lifeless". I used this product today and,not only did it give my roots some lift (and I'm 2 months post-highlights so that's quite a feat), but my hair feels bouncy, thicker and full of life. I've used every imaginable root lift, volumizer, bodifying spray and this one takes the cake.

on 4/15/2014 10:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This stuff has changed my life which is a pretty dramatic statement but my hair - I expected gray hair by my fifties, not to lose hair, and mine has to be cut & styled just so to cover my head. I read about this Pantene treatment in Allure mag. I use it right at the roots on the crown of my head, where it's the thinnest, then use some volumizing mousse all over. My hair looks and feels thicker and styles beautifully, better than it has in years. It's pricy, especially for a drugstore product, but for me it's worth it. Highly recommend!

on 4/9/2014 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am using this product a week ago and I have my hair thicker and it has more volume. on the product label says that the maximum thickness at 14 days is achieved, so I keep using to see how it goes. the disadvantages are: the price, and I must remember to use it every day!! but I love it..

on 2/22/2014 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I got a deluxe sample of this product in an Ulta gift bag. I have fine, limp, color-treated hair and was hoping this would save me. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my hair other than feel product-y. No volume or softness. Maybe it would work better for thicker hair? I got a third of the way thru the bottle and realized this wasn't doing anything for me.

on 2/20/2014 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

OMG! So glad I only bought the trial pack. Massive allergic reaction! Made my scalp blister and scab. In the bin.

This product promises to not only make your hair look and feel fuller and thicker, but to actually make it that way. I have used the product for almost a week now and I can truly say that it delivers. My hair has been starting to weaken, break and thin for a few years now. After almost a week, my hair is more voluminous and stands up straighter on my head. It feels plush and look even plusher! Also, the product delivers on the promise that your brush will have less hair in it. I usually lose 10-20 hairs every time I shower and a brush full more later. Today, I only lost about 4-6 hairs in the shower and hardly any in my brush! One thing I am disappointed in is the cost of the product for how little you get. I bought a three-pack with the AgeDefy shampoo, conditioner and serum. I usually always go light on shampoo and conditioner, so I still have plenty left, but I am almost out of the serum. I followed the instructions carefully, so it does bother me that I will have to buy more so soon. Otherwise, it is a great product and a definite buy if you don't mind dropping a little extra coin.