April 18, 2014 | 1485 users online

Liquid - Liz Earle - Signature Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 7:50:00 AM More reviews by Mellymoomar

This has fast become my new all time favourite foundation. That may sound a little dramatic, but this stuff has been a bit of a game changer for me.
I have this in the shade Ivory 02, which I was matched to by the lady in the Liz Earle shop, although we found it kind of hard to choose between Ivory 02 and Porcelain 01, because I have some rosy pink tones to my skin that makes it suitable for Porcelain 01, but I still have a bit of warmth there to go with Ivory 02, as long as it is blended out it worked pretty well, and made me a look a little less pale, which is always a bonus. Ivory is just a little more yellow toned compared to Porcelain.
The formula is really luxurious and silky on the skin, it almost feels as though you aren't wearing foundation. The coverage is also very buildable to, it can range from like a sheer medium to full coverage. As I said before though, even if you go full coverage it is so light you won't really notice it all that much. It has a very natural looking finish and a lot of people asked me if I had changed anything in my skin routine as this foundation makes you look quite fresh faced and radiant.
I would say if you have an oily complexion then this foundation probably isn't going to work for you. I could be wrong, obviously I have dry skin so I wouldn't know how to shop for oily, but I think the foundation makes me look quite shimmery so I'd imagine it would accentuate oily skin rather than mattify.
The foundation is super easily blendable, and it last all day, which is a major plus point for me. I'd say my only complaint is the price, which is 21. You don't get an awful lot for your money but the price still doesn't put me off particularly, I would so buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2014 6:56:00 AM More reviews by loucarroll73

Love this foundation for the winter, nude suits my skin colour perfectly and gives my skin a very natural/even look, medium coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 3:34:00 PM More reviews by PrincessBean

This foundation is the second best to my favourite Revlon Colourstay ( BEFORE THEY CHANGED THE FORMULA ).

By this I mean the coverage is 8/10,
The smooth - non-cakeyness is 7.5 / 10,
The lasting power is 6 /10.

The Revlon colourstay scored 9.5 / 10 on all accounts above (before THEY CHANGED THE FORMULA ).

Because I have had to hunt for an alternative foundation, this Liz Earle Signature foundation is the best I have found so far.

Its cakeyness is the least I have found*
The coverage is the best I have found *
Post-Lunch, on my combination skin, it is 65 percent remaining. So I would touch up my nose, chin, and any pigmentation sneaking through.

Take note though:
I looked like I was ' Ivory' colour choice, because the colour looked perfect for my skin. The formla however dries a little more oxidised darker colour than presented when wet, so allow for this. (started to look a bit more orange with build up, so of course blend) I am going to look at the lighter colour Porcelain in the store and see if that also dries darker too! so it might be a more appropriate closeness for my skin.

*Second best to Revlon Colourstay 16hrs original formula SOFTFLEX

For foundation lovees, I don't think you would be dissapointed at all with this Liz Earle one.

It also comes with a pump, because Liz Earle listens to her customers : )

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 1:21:00 PM More reviews by RosaRose89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm so relieved to find this fantastic, medium-coverage foundation. I will repurchase this until it is discontinued.

PROS:
- The lightest colour is light and cool-toned enough for my very pale skin, which I cannot say for most brands.
- Hygienic pump-dispenser
- No SPF. To some this may be a con, but I use a separate SPF underneath, so I don't want anything in my foundation to destabilise the UV blockers in my dedicated SPF.
- This glides over my large pores and makes them disappear.
- It feels light on the skin, yet stays put (no sliding around on the skin).
- It doesn't emphasise dry, flakey skin.
- Cheaper than other foundations of equivalent quality.
- Very natural-looking. Not at all cakey.
- This really adheres to the skin and stays put all day.

CONS:
- It does not build to full coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2013 4:17:00 PM More reviews by RIX

Excellent.foundation. Ivory matches my nc20 skin and nude is great when I'm more tanned. shades are quite neutral not too pink based which is good. a demi matt finish which.is great for a polished look,.powder may not be needed for those with a drier skin. Good value and good packaging,.will re purchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2013 8:34:00 AM More reviews by susieglass

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this product, and had read enough excellent recommendations to get my hopes up, but it just didn't suit my skin. I have some acne scarring, some acne blemishes and am a bit on the oily side. This foundation was a dream to apply, the shade was perfect, it blended really well.... but by the time I had it on, my skin looked as though I had just applied a tinted moisturiser. It was just too sheer, and gave so little coverage. A real shame, because it ticked all the other boxes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by susie03

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ticks all the boxes for me as a foundation, lightweight but decent coverage, lasts, dewy but not shiny and comes in a shade that I can use - Nude - perfect for me as NC25.
Like the reviewer below I am a Sisley Oil Free fan but find the price hard to justify. This is a very similar foundation in consistency and wear and much cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 5:19:00 PM More reviews by bbailey86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This foundation is amazing. Feels like silk on your skin and is really worth the money. I discovered this foundation by accident whilst searching for a nice cruelty free foundation. If you like full coverage like me, you will need to put another layer on. Can't recommend this enough!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2012 2:48:00 PM More reviews by IzzyMuses

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My normal foundation is Bare Essentials where I wear Fairly Light in the winter and Light in the summer. I prefer makeup with a yellow undertone. I chose the Ivory shade from the Liz Earle Signature Foundation collection and found it a good match for my skin.

A video on the Liz Earle website suggests that you should apply this foundation with a makeup brush and I got much better results when I used the brush than I did with a fingertip application method.

The makeup works best for me if I give my moisturiser time to settle before applying foundation.

On the skin, this foundation feels light and comfortable. I liked that it gave my skin a soft radiant appearance.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 3:28:00 PM More reviews by Johelian

[For reference I am of mixed Filipino/English descent, with light olive skin-tone that leans towards warm/yellow. Skin-type is Combination/Sensitive, with redness on my nose & cheeks. Pronounced pores. NC20-25]

Having found the best foundation going in Sisley's Phyto Teint Eclat, and thinking that my foundation search was finally over, I was somewhat nonplussed to find myself idly browsing makeup counters again. What was the reason for my dissatisfaction? The simple reason was that PTE was just too damn expensive for me to shell out on on a regular basis; I had to find a cheaper alternative for every-day wear. While reading through pages of reviews online, I noticed that one product came up time and time again - Liz Earle's Signature Foundation. More than likely this was just due to timing; LE sent out a mass of samples to various British beauty bloggers earlier this year, and every single one (well, all bar one) raved about this foundation. Seeing as I had a LE store in a neighbouring town, I thought it would be rude not to check out the hype.

Liz Earle are a British company specialising in simple, but effective, skincare and makeup products. They have only two foundation lines - a tinted moisturiser and the Signature Foundation - supporting their ethos of straightforward products that just 'work'. No need for countless products for different skin types, finishes...just one really great product that suits everyone. Sounds like they're living in a dreamworld? Well, LE are so assured that everyone will love their product that they are currently offering a money-back scheme online if you don't love the product. Now that's confidence.

The Signature Foundation comes in nine shades that are, for the most part, relatively neutral. I guess the intention then is that they will suit the broadest range of skin tones. I take 02 Ivory, which is described on the website as being 'suitable for fair skin with yellow tones'. In reality Ivory is - again - more neutral than warm, and looks a tiny bit pink on my skin (which needs true yellow to balance the colour), but this is easily workable. 03 Nude is described as being 'suitable for most caucasian skins' - for me this is too darkly orange, so I guess perhaps this is for tanned/fake tanned caucasians? Anyway, colour selection is easily the only downside of the product. Everything else is, dare I say it - eerily perfect.

The product comes in a classy frosted glass bottle with signature LE navy lid and a pump. One pump is more than enough for my whole face, but you can half-pump which saves wastage. It's moderately thick, I suppose a touch more liquid than Revlon's Colorstay, and I find the best application is with the Sigma Kabuki buffing brush. LE recommend applying with a foundation paddle brush; for me, this gives too much coverage and the neutral colour of Ivory stands out too much on my skin, so I opt for the buffing brush. Coverage is a glorious medium - not at all mask-like (unless you slap gallons on), with just a hint of dewiness to give a natural appearance. It neutralises all of my redness, and - and this is VERY rare for decent-coverage foundations - actually just makes my skin look better. Not made up - just better. Set with a touch of powder this lasts easily all day, from application until I take it off at night, without breaking up on my nose (95% of foundations do this) or fading away. The best way to describe this is Estee Lauder Double Wear, without the chalky mask effect. I realise that that's a big claim - and I absolutely stand by it. I have never had a foundation last so long and look so good. Best of all, it comes off with water and cleanser at the end of the day. It has a vaguely plant like scent to it, possibly from the plant extracts present - inoffensive (if a bit odd), and dissipates quickly.

I have been using this for a couple of weeks now, and have not experienced any breakouts; rather, my skin looks and feels calmed and even better than before I started. Liz Earle is best known for the inclusion of 'natural' (in inverted commas because the products do still contain some chemicals) ingredients in their products, so perhaps these are offering some skin-improving properties. At either rate, I am incredibly happy with this product, and cannot really think of a bad thing to say (other than the lack of truly yellow shades)...oh wait, it can transfer a little due to the satin finish. If I blow my nose for instance there will be some product on the tissue. Thankfully it wears down very nicely and does not leave a tidemark - really NEVER enough of a problem to even bother me. And the price? A measly 21 at the time of writing. This is a massive 9 cheaper than my beloved Bobbi Brown foundations, and approximately 1/3 the price of the Grail of foundations, Sisley Phyto Teint Eclat. This is my new every-day foundation, and I feel terribly disappointed that I did not discover this earlier - I would have saved a fortune buying and throwing away countless foundations that promised so much and fulfilled so little. If you try one foundation in this price range this year, make it Liz Earle's Signature Foundation.

The Good
1) VERY reasonably priced for the quality of the product
2) True all-day lasting power without becoming oily AND while looking natural
3) Did not cause breakouts on my super-sensitive skin, and in fact made my skin feel better
4) Bottle with pump
5) Medium coverage, buidable
6) Easy to remove at the end of the day
7) No oxidisation
8) Returns policy available at the moment.

The Bad
1) Limited colour range
2) No SPF
3) Some dodgy ingredients (though no moreso than many other foundations I'm sure)
4) May transfer a little.

The Bottom Line
You owe it to yourself to try LE Signature Foundation, especially while they are offering the opportunity to return it if you are not happy. And no, they are not paying me.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No