November 22, 2014 | 2000 users online

Gels/Soaps - Shea Moisture - Organic African Black Soap Shea Butter Wash

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2014 10:58:00 PM More reviews by dawnathann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this body wash at a Target because I was looking for a new one that was SLS free. At ten bucks a bottle it was a little pricey, but it claimed to have some pretty great benefits for my sensitive/acne prone skin.
Pros:
-Leaves my skin feeling refreshed, super clean and fresh while being surprisingly moisturizing and not causing any irritation or dryness even when shaving.
-The smell at first I must say was not super great. I bought it blindly because the bottles were all sealed in-store. It's kind of strong and it really lingers on the skin. The best way to describe it is as an almost a dry, powder-y, sandalwood-y scent which I have to say had to grow on me, but now I really dig it.
-SLS and paraben free (yay)
-Makes a lovely bubble bath
Cons:
-As stated the smell is not exactly mild. And if you are looking for a sweet/fruity scent then definitely look elsewhere
-Price. It's a little pricey for body wash for a poor college kid but it has lasted me quite a while.
-I'm not sure I would say it heals or helps dry up acne as the label says

Point being I would certainly buy this again. I'm curious to try the other varieties from this brand.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2014 12:49:00 PM More reviews by BeautBetty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I started buying this before the company changed the title on the bottle to include body wash ( since 2008). I did call the company on this and they told me that they had been recently being acquired by another cosmetic company and the new group had changed the name. My face complexion cannot live without this. It has eliminated my brown spots, keeps my oily complexion in control, my zits under control. My elderly mother loves it on her face. I don't use it as a body wash. I don't like their black bar soap. If I use a bar, it's one of the real stuff that you can buy online-at least where I get it from is wonderful.
It lasts forever. lathers wonderful, use it with a cosmetic sponge or one of those rotating brush if you want more dermabrasion.
I'm ok with the fragrance

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 3:09:00 PM More reviews by flixbix

The mosquitos in my yard have been unbearable this spring and to top it off, I contracted poison ivy or some skin allergy on recent travels. Both left numerous and unsightly marks on my legs, not to mention the itching. I bought this in the hopes that the salicylic acid would treat both and it has. I also don't need moisturizer afterwards, which saves time (and moisturizer). I do not think this is intended for use on the face. Also, for those concerned about the smell, just smell other products in this line before purchasing. I happen to enjoy the scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2014 9:07:00 AM More reviews by truepeace72

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I love all of my Sheamoisture hair products and decided to give their body products a try. Unfortunately, I had to return this product due to the high concentration of fragrance used. The sandalwood fragrance is nauseating and irritating to the skin and other delicate areas. The scent lasted all day and stays in the shower for two days. The only way I would repurchase is if they reformulated with less fragrance and fragrance blends. Yuck!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2014 3:51:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this body wash! A few weeks ago I started to get lot of hormonal acne on my shoulders and back (really, really gross!) I saw this body wash at Target and decided to give it a try. After 2 weeks of use the acne spots are almost all cleared up. I have also noticed my skin doesn't seem to be as dry. You only need a tiny squirt to do the job. It foams up into a very rich lather and I think it smells delicious, slightly woodsy and a little bit sweet. The scent doesn't linger and my husband has started using it, too. I have had no issues with it staining either my shower or washcloths. I will absolutely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by pinkqueen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Soap leaves my body feeling very clean. Much more clean than fancy smelling stuff. It does a great job of leaving my skin refreshed and free of dry scales. I was hoping this would improve my facial acne. After weeks of using it, I see a difference in my acne, just not a good one. My blackheads are decreasing and my pores are smaller. I have acne issues I never had before though, I started getting painful & large pimples around my jaw & chin. They are horrible. So although the rest of my skin looks better and my mild acne of small pimples is gone, they have now been replaced with fewer but larger more painful pimples.
I don't want to give up just yet, I want to experiment some more. Hopefully I can update this soon, with better news. Note: I have also tried the soap bar of this...no difference in blackheads or acne.
I know this is not meant for face, so here is the reason I give it 3 stars for body.
The exfoliating beads do not stay evenly dispersed in gel.
Gel is hard to get flowing in cold temperatures....super annoying.
A pump would be better
Turns your washcloths black.
Smells a little like urine when I open my shower stall. The smell can be strongly lingering. It doesn't bother me when I am lathering up, but once the shower has dried the residual smell has a urine-like quality.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent, excellent body wash! I bought this with the specific intent of using it on my lower left leg, where I have had an ongoing issue with some kind of skin condition that has been seen by several dermatologists. I've almost had as many different diagnoses, but they tend to lean toward some type of eczema. All I know is that it consists of small, rough red, itchy areas of inflammation, mainly surrounding hair follicles. It started out with just a couple of spots and over the last several years has spread to involve more of the lower leg, ankle and a little bit on the top of my foot. It's also left behind some hyperpigmentation. I have been prescribed all kinds of topical creams, to no avail. I finally decided to try this product and I am a witness, let me tell you! I can say, 100%, that after only 3 weeks use I no longer have any irritation whatsoever. The skin now feels completely smooth, no raised areas of roughness, no redness. I can even see the hyperpigmentation gently fading. The bottle says that it calms and heals -- yes it does! If they take this product off the market I will have to hurt somebody, lol!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 1:46:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This gives a deep clean and lathers wonderfully without drying out my skin. The ingredient list caught my eyes and I am glad I gave this a try since I love the coconut and hibiscus body wash as well. This formulation has a chocolate, earthy, smoky scent. It is hard to describe but it is not too cloying to my nose. It doesn't irritate my eczema and keeps my skin feeling soft. It rinses clean and doesn't break me out which is a huge plus since I am acne-prone on my chest and back. I actually look forward to trying the shaving kits next in the Shea Moisture line. Thanks to those who reviewed this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2013 12:08:00 PM More reviews by AyoC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

O definitely repurchasing! It's winter now and this is working great on my skin. Not drying. And it's seems to be helping any scars etc. I don't really have skin problems per say just some blemishes here or there. But this is amazing! Use a coupon if you can! A little also goes a long way

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by elakia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love it! This products helps with body acne and excema!