August 1, 2014 | 1835 users online

Gels/Soaps - Shea Moisture - Organic African Black Soap Shea Butter Wash

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 3:09:00 PM More reviews by flixbix

The mosquitos in my yard have been unbearable this spring and to top it off, I contracted poison ivy or some skin allergy on recent travels. Both left numerous and unsightly marks on my legs, not to mention the itching. I bought this in the hopes that the salicylic acid would treat both and it has. I also don't need moisturizer afterwards, which saves time (and moisturizer). I do not think this is intended for use on the face. Also, for those concerned about the smell, just smell other products in this line before purchasing. I happen to enjoy the scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2014 9:07:00 AM More reviews by truepeace72

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I love all of my Sheamoisture hair products and decided to give their body products a try. Unfortunately, I had to return this product due to the high concentration of fragrance used. The sandalwood fragrance is nauseating and irritating to the skin and other delicate areas. The scent lasted all day and stays in the shower for two days. The only way I would repurchase is if they reformulated with less fragrance and fragrance blends. Yuck!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 3:51:00 PM More reviews by bikerchick

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this body wash! A few weeks ago I started to get lot of hormonal acne on my shoulders and back (really, really gross!) I saw this body wash at Target and decided to give it a try. After 2 weeks of use the acne spots are almost all cleared up. I have also noticed my skin doesn't seem to be as dry. You only need a tiny squirt to do the job. It foams up into a very rich lather and I think it smells delicious, slightly woodsy and a little bit sweet. The scent doesn't linger and my husband has started using it, too. I have had no issues with it staining either my shower or washcloths. I will absolutely repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/31/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by pinkqueen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Soap leaves my body feeling very clean. Much more clean than fancy smelling stuff. It does a great job of leaving my skin refreshed and free of dry scales. I was hoping this would improve my facial acne. After weeks of using it, I see a difference in my acne, just not a good one. My blackheads are decreasing and my pores are smaller. I have acne issues I never had before though, I started getting painful & large pimples around my jaw & chin. They are horrible. So although the rest of my skin looks better and my mild acne of small pimples is gone, they have now been replaced with fewer but larger more painful pimples.
I don't want to give up just yet, I want to experiment some more. Hopefully I can update this soon, with better news. Note: I have also tried the soap bar of this...no difference in blackheads or acne.
I know this is not meant for face, so here is the reason I give it 3 stars for body.
The exfoliating beads do not stay evenly dispersed in gel.
Gel is hard to get flowing in cold temperatures....super annoying.
A pump would be better
Turns your washcloths black.
Smells a little like urine when I open my shower stall. The smell can be strongly lingering. It doesn't bother me when I am lathering up, but once the shower has dried the residual smell has a urine-like quality.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 10:46:00 AM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent, excellent body wash! I bought this with the specific intent of using it on my lower left leg, where I have had an ongoing issue with some kind of skin condition that has been seen by several dermatologists. I've almost had as many different diagnoses, but they tend to lean toward some type of eczema. All I know is that it consists of small, rough red, itchy areas of inflammation, mainly surrounding hair follicles. It started out with just a couple of spots and over the last several years has spread to involve more of the lower leg, ankle and a little bit on the top of my foot. It's also left behind some hyperpigmentation. I have been prescribed all kinds of topical creams, to no avail. I finally decided to try this product and I am a witness, let me tell you! I can say, 100%, that after only 3 weeks use I no longer have any irritation whatsoever. The skin now feels completely smooth, no raised areas of roughness, no redness. I can even see the hyperpigmentation gently fading. The bottle says that it calms and heals -- yes it does! If they take this product off the market I will have to hurt somebody, lol!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 1:46:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This gives a deep clean and lathers wonderfully without drying out my skin. The ingredient list caught my eyes and I am glad I gave this a try since I love the coconut and hibiscus body wash as well. This formulation has a chocolate, earthy, smoky scent. It is hard to describe but it is not too cloying to my nose. It doesn't irritate my eczema and keeps my skin feeling soft. It rinses clean and doesn't break me out which is a huge plus since I am acne-prone on my chest and back. I actually look forward to trying the shaving kits next in the Shea Moisture line. Thanks to those who reviewed this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2013 12:08:00 PM More reviews by AyoC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

O definitely repurchasing! It's winter now and this is working great on my skin. Not drying. And it's seems to be helping any scars etc. I don't really have skin problems per say just some blemishes here or there. But this is amazing! Use a coupon if you can! A little also goes a long way

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by elakia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love it! This products helps with body acne and excema!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by CarsickMathNinja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My husband and I love this body wash! It is absolutely amazing for body acne, keratosis pilaris, and many skin maladies. My husband gets dry, itchy skin, and this is one of the only body washes that prevents and treats it. I don't use this on my face, but he does, and he has no problems with it whatsoever. It is a BODY WASH, though, and I wouldn't recommend using it on your face. It lathers very well with a body pouf or loofah, and it smells lovely. My husband doesn't mind the scent, even though he typically does not like most scented products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2013 2:45:00 AM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Please don't let the bad reviews of this product turn you off as I'm sorry natural or not last time I checked don't blame the body wash for not working for you when you use it on your face! LOL Yet another case of bad review for not using something properly. I also would never personally use African Black Soap on my face. I too have super clog/breakout prone skin and have tried all the natural remedies out there and even though African Black Soap bars/etc work for some to clear blemishes etc the ph is insane and no doubt strips skin insanely which is what it did for me. It's benefits for the body however are AMAZING as our body skin is much thicker. I LOVE this body wash and wish I had tried it earlier. No secret I have become a huge fan of the entire Shea Moisture line in the last year after I finally opened my eyes and ran across it in the Ethnic hair care/etc sections at Target/Walgreens. The formulas are so rich, nourishing, and full of clean amazing ingredients without a single cone or sulfate or drying lathering agent. They are so healthy and healing for skin and hair and most of all are so insanely affordable as the company is very modest in it's mission. I haven't tried HE products that I have spent 5x the cost on that had an ounce of this quality. Anyhow back to the body wash I love that among the ABS is is full of great oils and shea butter etc. So unlike the regular bars or pure ABS it isn't drying at all. It in that offers such a creamy (non fake irritating) luscious lather from the tiniest amount but as well keeps my body clarified and so balanced and moisturized. I don't need to use moisturizers or anything after I shower. I have tried and love the Coconut Hibiscus among other washes from the line which are incredibly hydrating and delicious smelling as well but just love the added clarification this version offers. Don't let the black color scare you away as leaves no mess at all. When you squeeze it out on your loofah the gel is clear grey and when you lathers it turns white. Can't recommend this product or line more for a natural quality and cheap solution to keep your skin/hair clear and looking beautiful. I just recently got hooked on the lines shave products as well as wow never going back to the full of chemical non nourishing garbage I was using before. Run and don't walk to try this! :)