Skinceuticals Blemish and Age Cleansing Gel

3.0

on 5/19/2015 10:25:00 PM

I really wanted to love this product as I am a fan of the Skinceuticals line. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I used this cleanser with my Clarsonic and it foams up really nicely. With only a a very small amount of product my face is thoroughly cleansed.

I would not buy this product again, due to the fact that it leaves my skin super tight and dry. It feels as if it has been over-stripped. I would have expected an anti-aging cleanser to moisturize, not over-strip my skin leaving it tight and dry.

on 5/15/2015 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product is difficult to find since it's only sold through selected health professionals and spas. I went to a cosmetic surgeon (only person nearby who sold the product) just for a consulation on picking the right skinceutical products for my skin and gave me great advice on using the products.

I have oily acne prone skin and I've been on acne medication for 6 years. I had moderate to severe acne since I was 13 and now I'm 21. I've been on three acne medications for 4 years and tried different brands such as Cerave, Cetaphil, Avene and La Roche Posay lines, but they didn't make a difference. In the last 6 years, my acne had never cleared up, but I think I am finally going to see a difference with my skin.

The Blemish + Age Cleansing Gel is a clear transparent gel that smells like mint. For every application I only need to use half the size of a thumbnail surface. The gel will foam and there's a fresh menthol like feel as you use it and once you wash it off completely. This product conpletely cleanses the face on the surface. The only downside is that this product is expensive.

As of May 12th, 2015 I had over a dozen of pustules and 5 nodules. Also, I had over a dozen of brown pigmentation as a result of popped pimples and extremely red redness on my cheeks where my acne were. Other problems that were present included enlarged visible pores, oilyness and rough skin texture.

By May 15th, 2015 no new acne formed, the redness on my face was almost completely gone (about 75%), my pores were no longer enlarged, my skin was smooth and soft, the brown pigmentation was reduced and my acne pimples were drying out and going away (about 40% gone). Unexpectedly, my face was no longer oily and remained normal throughout the day.

I'm actually shocked at the many negative reviews about the skinceuticals product line. Even though I've been using this product (as well as others from the same brand) for three days (starting May 12th, 2015), the results were extremely noticeable.

Below I wrote out what products I used with this and my routine. I will update in 6 weeks about the results (the cosmetic surgeon recommended to use the product for 6 weeks before stopping if I didn't like the results).

Skinceutical products used:

clarifying clay masque

Other products:

Dormer 211 SPF 30 cream
(note: only available online OR ordered at any pharmacy counter in Canada).

Dermatologist perscribed medicaton:

Clindoxyl advanced gel (5% benzoyl peroxide and 1% clindamycin)

Daily Morning Routine:

Blemish + age solution
Clindoxyl advanced gel (5% benzoyl peroxide and 1% clindamycin)
Dormer 211 oil free fluid moisturizer
Dormer 211 SPF 30 cream (applied only when going out)

Daily Evening Routine:

Evening Weekly facial treatment Routine:

clarifying clay masque
Blemish + age defence serum

I have oily sensitive skin, sadly this cleanser was just too strong for my skin and caused me to breakout. It feels nice using it, but it is very strong, so if you have any sort of sensitive skin, I would avoid

on 11/28/2012 7:13:00 PM

I am obsessed with gorgeous skin!!! I have an oily skin. Tried so many different brands to get my skin looking flawless but not the oily shine. I can truly say SkinCeuticals does it all. I am finishing my first bottle( lasted about 3 months/ used it twice a day) and will definitely re-purchase it. If you are looking for a great skin care try SkinCeuticals. But it is really important to choose what suits your skin type. Ask the pharmacist or your dermatologist first.

on 11/4/2012 6:47:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Normally I'm pretty lenient with cleansers, acknowledging that different ingredients work for different people and understand higher costs for marketing and packaging. This cleanser, however, leaves me perplexed about the ingredients and quality as well as the claims. As a Skinceuticals fan, I'm very surprised. This cleaner is expensive (around $40 CDN) and claims "potent cleansing agents combined with even and precise cell-by-cell exfoliation deep clean pores, remove impurities, and soften the skin". A review of the ingredients compared to cheap cleansers is infuriating: sodium laureth sulfate, parabens, menthol, surfactants and emulsifiers on the toxicity scale- ingredients cheap cleansers have been reducing for years. Even sodium chloride is listed as a 5 on comedogenic scales. Sure, it has salicylic acid and glycolic acid, but so do many a 5th of the price. This irritated my skin and didnt help much with my adult acne. I've always found Skinceuticals products to be high-quality and consistent with claims and am pretty disappointed with this irritating cleanser with common ingredients. Might as well check out drugstore cleansers with glycolic and salicylic acid without menthol, sulfates and parabens for a fraction of the price. I personally like Etival Clarifying cleanser if you're in Canada. Too bad! I'll still use the other great products, but not this one.