December 21, 2014 | 868 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Extremely Rich Compensating Cream [DISCONTINUED]

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 8:51:00 AM More reviews by missbioniclegs

I love this cream, I've never used any Avene products before but needed a new night cream and sort of bought it on impulse as it was cheaper than my usual (but still fairly expensive).

This cream is very thick, I have oily/combination skin but I still like a rich cream at night. It doesn't sink in completely, there's still some residue after rubbing in which I don't mind as I'm only going to bed but might not be so great for the day. It's very mild and soothing, I think it's designed for people with sensitive skin so that may be why. It doesn't have a strong fragrance, just a mild 'baby' smell lol which I don't mind.

I'd say the name sort of says it all, it's very very rich, my skin feels lovely in the morning. My skin looks lovely and plump and hydrated in the morning - no tightness or irritation, I've also had no spots even though this is really rich.

Also a note on the packaging, it's in a jar which I love as you can get every last bit out! It also comes with a little spatula which is handy and more hygienic.

I think this will be a great cream for the coming winter months, and I will be re-purchasing.

Update: Stopped using this in morning as it made my skin very greasy all day - still great at night though and doesn't clog pores, just re-bought this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 12:23:00 PM More reviews by mcalcia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have super dry skin (1 year post-Accutane) and moved to a cold climate recently, so I am always on the hunt for the perfect winter moisturiser. I also have facial keratosis pillaris, so moisturising is always a must. Avene is a brand that I really trust as most of their products have worked very well for me. However, this cream has let me down a bit. I'll probably use it up but not repurchase it.

PROS:
- thick cream - which is a pro if you have very dry skin and deal with cold weather, wind and heating. However, if your skin is only slightly dry or if it's combination, it is probably not the best formula for you.
- absorbs in a few mintues and does not leave a shiny residue

CONS:
- unhygienic jar packaging (it comes with a spatula, though)
- does NOT leave my skin feeling moisturised after 1 hour or so. I normally have to reapply it or use a moisturising mist a few times a day
- now the biggest con: it balls up A LOT if you layer it over or under other products. I normally use a hydrating toner/lotion (like Hada Labo moist lotion) and/or rosehip oil (during winter, just a moisturising cream is never enough). Most moisturisers do well with this, but NOT Avene Extremely Rich Compensating Cream. After applying it over a toner or serum, I get lots of little flakes almost immediately. This is a huge problem since I have to layer sunscreen over it during the day, and this is the reason why I won't repurchase it after I run out of it
- After using it for 2 weeks, I don't really think it performed any better than most moisturisers for dry skin that I've used before it. So definitely not an outstanding performance.