July 30, 2014 | 1903 users online

Treatments (Face) - Murad - Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by whatmirror

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product burned my skin worse than anything. I couldn't sleep it was so bad. It contains hydroquinone which I highly recommend you read about in terms of warnings before considering even a one time use of this product.
It took almost a month for my skin to heal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by herbst3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Woke up on day 3 with tons of whiteheads all over. Like 15 of them.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by Lizzielizay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was using this for my acne scars (dark spots) and I didn't see no change at all whatsoever. So I decided to just give it a month tops and see how it goes but still no change, it hasn't lightened anything. Not to mention this made my skin red and gave me bumps. Even the Ponds Clarant B3 which im using now is working so much better/faster than this ever did.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/15/2013 6:55:00 AM More reviews by shamcd

This serum is a total waste of money. It hasn't lightened my hyperpigmentation at all, not even half a shade. I've had better results out of store bought lightening cream that also contains hydroquinone. It there really is HQ in this serum, it's seriously underdosed or something. Don't waste your $$ on this garbage.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/5/2013 3:40:00 PM More reviews by ting2

I used this daily for almost 4 months and have not noticed any lightening in my sun spots. I only have a few spots on my cheeks and am hoping this would at least lighten them a little. But nope...nothing happened, at least my skin didn't break out from it. Don't waste your money.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2013 11:28:00 PM More reviews by lhuynh10

This contains 2% hydroquinone which is an ingredient with the whitening effect. There's a lot of mixed reviews and research on the ingredient so I advise doing your own research. With that said, I would say the price tag on this product is pretty consistent with any skincare on the market that you can buy with hydroquinone in it without having a prescription or having to special order it from a medical spa. Because the product is meant to lighten your skin, your skin while using this product will be quite sensitive to other ingredients and the sun. If you are using the product especially around summer, wear a sunscreen with high SPF because your skin will burn. Avoid moisturizers with an additional whitening aspect, it may be really harsh on your face. Try using this with more natural or organic skincare. It will give your face a break from you piling on the chemicals without taking away what this product is supposed to do. Apply it before anything else and really massage it into your skin.

If you plan on using this only on spots or areas where you are darker, beware that those areas may eventually look lighter than the rest of your face. I tried this in the morning and night, and I found that it was quite harsh on my skin. The facewash I use is locally made where I know every ingredient that goes into it. The serum made my skin so sensitive that the facewash would have a burning sensation when I wash my face at night. I use the serum now strictly at night.

Take a photo of your face with no makeup and skincare on before using the product. Take a photo again two months later. Yes, two months is the average time it takes to see significant results that I have encountered through conversations with people who have tried it and my own experience. You won't see results you'll like unless you take a before and after photo because you look at yourself everyday therefore you won't notice small changes. I wouldn't buy this product again just because I think it's nice to get to a certain "clear skin" point I'm happy with and alter other things in my skincare and life routine to maintain skin that is beautiful and healthy. I think it's nice to give my skin a break from using so much chemicals. If a time comes down the line where I feel like I might want to use a product like this again, this would be the first thing I'll look for.

This by no means is an overnight miracle product, but it yields the best results compared to other brands I have tried in the areas of the speed that it lightens pigments and the consistent way the product works. What that means is after long use of say one to two to even three months, it continues to work on your skin compared with the Clinique Dark Spot Corrector which stopped working on me about one month in. Quantity is not your best friend, don't think the more you apply to your skin in one session equals the faster it will work. All you might do is increase the sensitivity of your skin. But everybody's skin is different therefore use this at your own risk.

What it won't do:
- lighten or depigment older scars, sunspots, etc. at the same speed that it lightens new ones (be aware that certain sunspots or scars that are in simple terms really embedded into the layers of your skin may not be lightened without going to an actual dermatologist)

What it will do:
- provide your skin with a youthful glow or a brighter effect
- consistency in results

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 10:54:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I waited a long time before reviewing this product as I did desperately want to give it a chance to work. I have 2 huge dark spots on my forehead, one half inch in diameter, the other about 1.5 inches long and half inch wide (like a vertical stripe on my forehead, very ugly). I have been trying many products to reduce or eliminate these two spots and just as I expected, this Murad product did nothing.

Every evening I get home from work and wash my face, then exfoliate my forehead, I apply this serum in first a thin layer then add a thicker layer on top. If it dries (it is a very sticky product so it takes a long time to feel like it is absorbed) then I might add another layer before bed and before any other moisturizers or serums. I don’t wear this during the day but I do wear a high SPF cream under my makeup. So I really tried to make this work, I really did. I don’t want to have to purchase another bottle of this to see if ot will work over time, I can’t see any difference after three months so I will give up and move onto something else. Very disappointed.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2013 2:46:00 PM More reviews by amyfarrahfowler

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a few areas of hyperpigmentation that I'm working on lightening up. Watching QVC a few weeks ago the Murad spokesman hawking this product proclaimed it to be THEEEEE best on the market because it contains the highest percentage of hydroquinone available in the US without a prescription. I thought that was an outright false statement since this contains 2% HQ and it's actually 3% which is the highest non-prescription strength available in the US (that's the percentage used in Nadinola cream which is my HG for fading hyperpigmentation spots).

I decided to give this a try anyway since the spokesman guy also said people see dramatic improvement in a single week. I gave it a week and saw NO change whatsoever. Also my skin doesn't like the high amount of glycerine this product contains - it always leaves my spots feeling sticky/tacky even though I rub it in very very well. I gave it another week just to be sure I wasn't being too quick to judge. Still nothing.

I tried it for 2 weeks and saw NO change whatsoever. I went back to my HG fade product which remains to be Nadinola cream.

I would not repurchase and I do not recommend.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/21/2013 9:28:00 PM More reviews by JenniferLorraine

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Didn't do a darn thing.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by loverofmakeup

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am shocked by how well this product works. I have never used a facial product that delivered on its promises like this. My only hesitation is the conflicting research on Hydroquinone. I will not use the product long term because of this, but, I am very happy with the diminishment and in some instances total disappearance of sun damge.