October 30, 2014 | 1736 users online

Lipstick - Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Lip Tar - Black Dahlia

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2014 10:45:00 AM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I received a full-size tube of OCC's Black Dahlia matte lip tar. I was kind of disappointed when I first saw the color since it's so dark and I usually don't wear vampy, red, or matte lip products. These colors generally make my full lips look thin and my teeth have a yellowish tinge. But I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. This is such an absolutely beautiful color! Yes, it's very dark, but it's incredibly flattering and makes my lips look full. It does transfer like crazy, but I read online that it should be blotted, so I'll try that next time. I think this tube is going to last me a very long time, but if I ran out I would definitely consider repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 12:02:00 PM More reviews by thepulptoyourfiction

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The best vampy lip stain ever.
As a fan of gothy, dramatic makeup, I've searched everywhere for a brand that caters to my needs until I stumbled upon OCC. I love love love their lip tars.

Very long-lasting (I cannot emphasize this enough). I've selected "No" for "would you buy it again" because I think one would last me a lifetime.
It is so pigmented that you only need a drop of this product for the entire day.
This is the most unique product I've seen -- a gloss slash lip stain slash matte lip stick.

I'd describe this colour as a dark violet with black undertones, plus a metallic shimmer.
I have tried to dupe this by mixing MAC Rebel and Kat Von D Rosary which matches the colour, but not the shimmer.
It is definitely a unique shade.

A+

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2014 2:09:00 AM More reviews by lilymoonflower

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first I wasn't loving Black Dahlia because it would apply rather unevenly on my lips, and bleed, I loved the color but I hated the way it applied. I got the hang of it now though and I love it! First I make sure my lips are well moisturized with my Rosebud Salve as I'm prone to very dry lips. After I'm done with the rest of my face I dab off the excess balm and line and fill in my lips with NYX lip liner in Deep purple, then I put the tiniest drop of Black Dahlia on my lip brush and put a thin layer on my lips, I wait for it to dry and repeat once or twice. I know it sounds like a lot of work but it is so worth it. I love vampy lips but hate reapplying with this method I can eat a meal/drink whatever and it lasts about 8-10 hours. If i need to touch up (which is rare) I just carry my Wet'n'Wild lippie in Cherry Bomb, the colors are similar enough which makes it easy. Wow, that was a lot...anyway the point is I love this stuff.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2014 9:30:00 AM More reviews by leeaj1118

I had to get exchange cuz the package was broken and it messed my makeup bag. horrible. but their pigment is extremely good as an organic ingredients. 1. good for blusher like a cream blusher. but for lip ? well ...

rated 2 of 5 on 5/11/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by luluramos

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is the only Lip Tar that I stopped reaching for although I love the color. The texture and adherence to the lip is somehow very very VERY poor. It goes on super irregular.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by MollieS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I adore this color and I love the texture. Most lipsticks feel like I'm wearing a mask over my lips but this formula is so smooth and amazing. I can't wait to try more colors.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 2:10:00 AM More reviews by linhle777

Looks dark and scary in the packaging but once you spread all over your lips it is a gorgeous maroon red. Sultry sexy. The worse thing about wearing red lipstick is that if smears you look cray. With this product you don't have to worry about that because it is on there for good. Throughout the day it stains a nice color on the lips that still looks flattering. An awesome product. It is the find of the year. I wish I knew about it before it sold at Sephora because they were originally 15. 20 dollars is worth it for a product that you need little of. It will probably last you your whole lifetime.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by SwampThing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

My first OCC purchase was a set of four minis and I instantly fell in love with Black Dahlia. I had my eye on it for a while and decided for the price of $20, I couldn't pass up the set. A little goes a long way! You definitely have to take your sweet time slowly building up the color in layers to achieve the look you want. You do have to be careful though, as it is very pigmented and WILL stain your skin something fierce (this goes for your lips too). The staining effect is awesome for longevity, but be prepared to work hard to get it off when you decide to remove it (I didnt remove it all and the next morning my lips were still stained)! Overall I love this shade and will definitely repurchased if I ever run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by PrettyInACasket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

After hearing raves about OCC lip tars, I wanted to try one out for myself, so I purchased Black Dahlia. I've only used the product a few times, and unfortunately I'm not too impressed. The color was much darker in the package but when I applied it, it was almost like berry shade and it feathered out to be almost a magenta color. I was wearing a purplish lipstick and lip liner underneath so it's possible they bled into each other. I will try to wear it on its own, but if the color still looks like a berry shade as opposed to what is advertised, I do not think I would purchase it again, especially not for $18! However, I would like to purchase other lip tars from OCC because they're products are both vegan and high quality. I think it takes a lot of practice to use this product correctly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 7:26:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Wow this colour is just gorgeous it's so pretty I cannot get over it. After doing some reading I decided to get the clear or primer with the 4 mini set. Best decision ever because this shade lasts almost all day with the clear and it doesn't dry out on my lips either. You can also use the clear as a moisturizer on dry spots. So it's multipurpose which is great. This is how I apply this lip tar first I apply the clear or any lip balm or lip primer should do except ones containing silicon they do not work with these lip tars. I let the clear sink in wipe off the excess then apply just a pin size amount to the brush.

I then start in the middle and work my way out. The Black Dahlia goes on like a dream and it lasts for a very long time. You only need to start with the tiniest amount and add more as needed. Too much will bleed or feather. I then use either concealer or powder around my lips to set it. I'm waiting for the Mufe clear lip liner so I'll update how it works with that.
It lasts plus when I retouched it looked like a nice berry stain so the wear down on this isn't bad at all. I wore it from morning till night and it did not bleed or feather. You can even use the clear to refresh the colour throughout the day. This is by far my favorite winter lippie. The shade is just beautiful and can look amazing on any skin tone imo.

So if you have been on the fence about these like I have get the 4 pack mini to try. I have fallen in love with these colours especially the Black Dahlia I even ordered Lydia so I have a more wearable day colour besides Memento. These will last forever too because you seriously only need a pin drop of pigment on your brush. Also the brush that comes with it works really well. I am very impressed with these and will be buying this in full size because it's just that dang beautiful! I'm very fair for reference I am an NW15-20,N1, &36 in Mufe F&B and it works great with my blonde hair and green eyes. The awesomeness is that you can layer as light or go as dark as you want. They are also mixable so you can't go wrong with that.:)
Love this product! Totally Recommended!