August 22, 2014 | 1708 users online

Lipstick - Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Lip Tar - Black Dahlia

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2014 9:30:00 AM More reviews by leeaj1118

I had to get exchange cuz the package was broken and it messed my makeup bag. horrible. but their pigment is extremely good as an organic ingredients. 1. good for blusher like a cream blusher. but for lip ? well ...

rated 2 of 5 on 5/11/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by luluramos

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is the only Lip Tar that I stopped reaching for although I love the color. The texture and adherence to the lip is somehow very very VERY poor. It goes on super irregular.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by MollieS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I adore this color and I love the texture. Most lipsticks feel like I'm wearing a mask over my lips but this formula is so smooth and amazing. I can't wait to try more colors.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 2:10:00 AM More reviews by linhle777

Looks dark and scary in the packaging but once you spread all over your lips it is a gorgeous maroon red. Sultry sexy. The worse thing about wearing red lipstick is that if smears you look cray. With this product you don't have to worry about that because it is on there for good. Throughout the day it stains a nice color on the lips that still looks flattering. An awesome product. It is the find of the year. I wish I knew about it before it sold at Sephora because they were originally 15. 20 dollars is worth it for a product that you need little of. It will probably last you your whole lifetime.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2013 6:53:00 PM More reviews by SwampThing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

My first OCC purchase was a set of four minis and I instantly fell in love with Black Dahlia. I had my eye on it for a while and decided for the price of $20, I couldn't pass up the set. A little goes a long way! You definitely have to take your sweet time slowly building up the color in layers to achieve the look you want. You do have to be careful though, as it is very pigmented and WILL stain your skin something fierce (this goes for your lips too). The staining effect is awesome for longevity, but be prepared to work hard to get it off when you decide to remove it (I didnt remove it all and the next morning my lips were still stained)! Overall I love this shade and will definitely repurchased if I ever run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/21/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by PrettyInACasket

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

After hearing raves about OCC lip tars, I wanted to try one out for myself, so I purchased Black Dahlia. I've only used the product a few times, and unfortunately I'm not too impressed. The color was much darker in the package but when I applied it, it was almost like berry shade and it feathered out to be almost a magenta color. I was wearing a purplish lipstick and lip liner underneath so it's possible they bled into each other. I will try to wear it on its own, but if the color still looks like a berry shade as opposed to what is advertised, I do not think I would purchase it again, especially not for $18! However, I would like to purchase other lip tars from OCC because they're products are both vegan and high quality. I think it takes a lot of practice to use this product correctly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 7:26:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Wow this colour is just gorgeous it's so pretty I cannot get over it. After doing some reading I decided to get the clear or primer with the 4 mini set. Best decision ever because this shade lasts almost all day with the clear and it doesn't dry out on my lips either. You can also use the clear as a moisturizer on dry spots. So it's multipurpose which is great. This is how I apply this lip tar first I apply the clear or any lip balm or lip primer should do except ones containing silicon they do not work with these lip tars. I let the clear sink in wipe off the excess then apply just a pin size amount to the brush.

I then start in the middle and work my way out. The Black Dahlia goes on like a dream and it lasts for a very long time. You only need to start with the tiniest amount and add more as needed. Too much will bleed or feather. I then use either concealer or powder around my lips to set it. I'm waiting for the Mufe clear lip liner so I'll update how it works with that.
It lasts plus when I retouched it looked like a nice berry stain so the wear down on this isn't bad at all. I wore it from morning till night and it did not bleed or feather. You can even use the clear to refresh the colour throughout the day. This is by far my favorite winter lippie. The shade is just beautiful and can look amazing on any skin tone imo.

So if you have been on the fence about these like I have get the 4 pack mini to try. I have fallen in love with these colours especially the Black Dahlia I even ordered Lydia so I have a more wearable day colour besides Memento. These will last forever too because you seriously only need a pin drop of pigment on your brush. Also the brush that comes with it works really well. I am very impressed with these and will be buying this in full size because it's just that dang beautiful! I'm very fair for reference I am an NW15-20,N1, &36 in Mufe F&B and it works great with my blonde hair and green eyes. The awesomeness is that you can layer as light or go as dark as you want. They are also mixable so you can't go wrong with that.:)
Love this product! Totally Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

When this first came out I was not all that excited about it. Probably because I stuck on silly with bright pink lippies and bronzy eye looks. Now that its fall and instead of sunshine & warm weather I'm seeing gloom & feeling chilly so I'm reaching for my deeper darker lippies. I saw it at Sephora where I swatched it and was immediately swooned on its richness. I normally don't spring for any lipstick that containts a metallic base as I'm getting older and I notice some metallic shades translate very aging on me. This shade against my nc45 skintone gives me a nice berry shade if applied as a light stain but if I go all out its a rich, very opaque blackened berry. I applied this over a lipgloss I was wearing but when I used it the next day without any type of gloss or balm....oh buddy. My lips just popped without very little effort. You have a be a pretty confident gal to rock this because its not for the faint at heart. And I would definitely keep the eyelook low key if not experienced at wearing such a deep shade. There is some transfer just to be aware. And there is no way you can apply this without a brush so don't attempt it. Overall I love this lippie and I was on the fence about getting MAC's cyber again. Well, no cyber for me because this is the one.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/17/2013 3:39:00 AM More reviews by Yuu

I was intrigued by a review on this shade of lip tar and finally decided it was something I'd be interested in having. It took forever for Sephora in my area to carry this shade but I finally have it and it's not exactly as how I expected it to be.

First off Black Dahlia is advertised as a "blackened red" but it has more blue in it than you would think and it actually turns out quite purple-pink on me. I was actually expecting a darker and redder wine colour that leaned a bit purple from pictures I googled. It certainly is vampy and that was what I was going for, but it just turns out too pink on my lips for my liking unless I put more layers on and even then I can still see the pink.

Second, it does leave a nice long lasting stain on your lips but it's also prone to transfer. Probably because of the formulation and being a liquid pigment it never fully dries, or at least this was my experience with it on my bare lips. Perhaps there needs to be a longer waiting time between layers or maybe this could be solved by layering or mixing it with other products. If you get it on your skin it's like a coloured marker and you will need to scrub with soap to get it completely off.

The packaging is a simple tube with a small tip to help you get just the tiniest drop, but because it's so liquidy you have to be careful that it doesn't leak out and make a mess of the tip.

Pros:
- Good value, 22 CAD for 10 ml may seem like a lot but it doesn't take much of this stuff to paint your lips and you'll probably never need to buy another for your entire life.
- black dahlia is a versatile colour that can vary your look depending on how much you layer on
- even if it fades or transfers it still leaves you with stained lips that lasts until you decide to take it off
- Vegan and made with simple ingredients that will not harm you if ingested, natural preservatives
- comes with a lip brush and a plastic zip pouch

Cons:
- drying. Or simply because it is just pigment there are no hydrating nor nourishing qualities. You'll need some kind of balm/gloss on top to keep your lips form flaking.
- you need perfect lips and then probably lip liner. Every imperfection will show and it feathers a bit. A clear/nude lip liner around the outline of your lips would be a good idea to keep from moving out of place.
- not beginner friendly, it will probably take practice to get used to
- you need a brush to apply

I want to give it a 3.5 if I could. The concept is nice but it's not too practical for amateurs. After I put some Black Honey Almost Lipstick on top it toned down the pink and got closer to the colour I wanted. I probably would not repurchase simply because I wouldn't need to and because there are probably easier ways to get a vampy stain. Still it's a very interesting product and great for playing around with.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2013 11:51:00 AM More reviews by Chloeclover

I absolutely love this color, you can build the color up to the dramatic blackened red or use a single layer for that wine color. Unfortunately, as time goes by, my lips look drier and the color seeps into my fine lines (about 2-3 hours of wear) but the color overall does linger for a while. A little dot goes a long way (two layers). It is not transfer resistant, so I would suggest you not accidentally wipe your mouth or anything on your hand or significant other. I highly suggest this color and product if it is in a value pack (I got this in the OCC Lip Tar All-star Mini four pack from Sephora for $20)