July 30, 2014 | 2014 users online

Eyeliner - Trish McEvoy - Intense Gel Eyeliner Pencil

rated 3 of 5 on 5/4/2014 5:05:00 PM More reviews by HiGayle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Initially I got Arabian Nights in a Trish McEvoy makeup kit and loved its performance. It was easy to apply and stayed where it belonged, not straying to my bottom lash line or giving me frightful raccoon eyes. So I decided to commit and buy a full sized pencil when Nordstrom had its 10% off sale. I somewhat regret this purchase and in all likelihood will not buy this product again. It is not worth the steep price.

Let me preface my criticism with a disclaimer, I prefer twist up eyeliners that you don't have to sharpen like Clinique's quickliner. I find having to sharpen pencils whether eyeliner or a brow pencil cumbersome and time consuming. I never get a fine enough point and always end up losing a lot of product in the sharpening process. I thought it was my sharpener, but I've tried different ones all with the same result. Knowing this, I was willing to deal with the hassle of sharpening because of the seemingly budge-proof formula of this gel eyeliner. Unfortunately in the long run the sharpening hassle of this product has outweighed any positive formula results.

Regarding the formula itself it has sparkles in it. Why? I don't need sparkle in my eyeliner. I find it also easier to apply with an eyeliner brush, yet again, WHY? If I wanted to apply product with a brush I would opt for a product in a pot or pan. It has staying power, I give it that. However, the Black eyeliner wasn't as transfer resistant as the Arabian Nights. I found migration after a day's wear.

If this product were half the price I'd say, "awesome blossom, get yourself two!" But at this pricepoint I say, "save your money honey."

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 8:52:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

These are amazing. The texture is as nice as any pot gel e/l I've tried (and I own more than a couple of BB gel e/ls), but the convienence of a pencil makes these so much easier to apply.

These glide on and stay on all day (and into the night) with no fading or creasing. What makes them incredible is how easily they go on--you don't need to apply any pressure to get a good, solid line. Once they set, they don't budge.

I usually don't love pencils that you have to sharpen, but I can look past the fact that you have to sharpen these because they're *that good.* I really wish that TM would expand this line and include a few more colors. The basic black, navy and brown are great, but a grey and taupe would be wonderful too.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by fz27

This gel pencil liner is very creamy and glides on like a dream. The color is super dark and dramatic. I use this for nights, parties, and maybe a big meeting at work - it's definitely useable everyday, but I like to use it when I want to make an impact.

I'm not a big user of gel pencil liners (I use liquid liners most of the time), so the fact that you can smudge it (and it comes with a great little pointed smudger) is fun for me. Once you put it on, there's probably 10 seconds where it's malleable enough to be smudged, then it sets and is pretty solid for the rest of the day. Of course, if you have oily lids, it may smudge as the day goes on, but it does "set."

The only con is that I do have to sharpen it probably every two uses or so, which uses up th product quite quickly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2013 1:44:00 AM More reviews by kellirae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This pencil is amazing. Glides on smooth and dries to a waterproof finish. I have two of them that came in her kits. One is black, with the faintest amount of sparkle and the other is Aubergine, a dark purple color. Both flatter my medium complexion and I think I am hooked!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2013 10:24:00 AM More reviews by nicolekm

I'm on my second one, and despite repurchasing it, I'm still not 100% on this pencil. I like it, and use it a couple of times per week, but it's not my favorite. I love that the black has some shimmer to it. I love that it lasts all day on me, and doesn't fade. It's a little difficult as far as application goes. More often than not, I end up having to use the other end of the pencil to even out my line. The pencil is so creamy that I have a hard time getting a straight line. However, once it's on, it's perfect. It will last all day, and when it comes time to remove it, it takes some effort. I've tried it on my waterline, but don't care for it. It only lasts a couple of hours, before coming off completely. The pencil does run out pretty quickly, which is a big negative for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2012 12:17:00 AM More reviews by micdeajones

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm really on the fence about this item because it does perform quite well. It's the sharpening and application that are the problem. The tip is extremely soft so losing a lot of product while sharpening is inevitable. Also, application is something of an issue. I was unable to lightly darken my eyelash base because the tip of the pencil was so soft, it would clump up in my eyelashes and leave small chunks of product behind. These small chunks then run and smudge and create the worse case of panda eyes I've ever seen! If applying directly from the pencil, it's best to line the upper eyelid. If applying between eyelashes, at the base of the upper eyelid, then application MUST be done with an eyelash brush. This method provides the smoothest application, with minimal loss of product.

Aside from the above, the product does deliver on it's promise not to smudge, budge, move etc. It's a beautiful black intense color with silver flecks which highlight the eye nicely. There's a smudger on the end that allows for a really nice dramatic smokey eye WHICH.DOES.NOT.BUDGE if applied over a primer AND your eyes aren't prone to watering.

This eyeliner would be amazing in other colors. It is expensive though so I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to repurchase this. For now I think I will because of the ease of carrying it along AND the fact that I don't have to worry about dry out like I would a cream eyeliner in a jar. But for the price, the pencil should definitely be longer and a sharpener, specifically designed for a pencil this soft, should be available.