October 20, 2014 | 1905 users online

Fragrances - Hermes - L'Ambre des Merveilles EDP

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Golden amber resin, but with distinct powdery notes that age it amazingly and sharp notes that make it almost masculine. Not a combination I like at all

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by stls

L'Ambre des Merveilles is my favorite from the Merveilles line. Perhaps not as creative as the rest but I think it's the most feminine and easy to wear. Nothing complicated, really. Just smooth amber with a heavy dose of vanilla and some resine-y labdanum. That's all. Has a caramelized texture and I consider it a sophisticated gourmand. Moderate projection, lasts 5-6 hours. Didn't rock my world but I would still buy a bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2013 1:22:00 AM More reviews by muguetdebonheur

O. M. G! A warm and delicious skin scent that just kept getting better the longer it was on me. It was so good that pessimist me kept waiting for it to turn bad but that never happened. It just got yummier. Think seawater and sunshine and spicy cookies. This isn't a fragrance that blasts a heady sillage. That's not to say it doesn't last. It's just subtle and sensuous and golden and SEXY. I love this so much I immediately bought a second 100ml bottle in a paranoid fit of fear they'd suddenly decided to change the formula or discontinue it. Is that nuts or what? The only minus IMO is the perplexing lack of bottle cap. I suppose to induce you to spray liberally and haphazardly - not difficult with this one.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Winterwise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This scent is pretty reminiscent of Fendi's discontinued Theorema on my skin- there's a definite impression of Toblerone chocolate oranges with a dusting of cinnamon, almost like Chai. It's definitely pleasant, but it doesn't "feel" like an Hermes scent. Hermes scents almost always have a grownup, creamy heft to them, and L'Ambre lacks that trademark maturity. It isn't Yet Another Insipid Gourmand- it's definitely more interesting than that- but it is indeed sweeter and snugglier than your average Hermes offering. Worth a sniff.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Sassymedusa

I love this perfume. I got it at Sephora with a coupon. The SA asked me a few questions about what I like and what I was looking for and BAM, this was the third thing she led me to. I wanted something that wasn't toooooo sweet but not manly either. To me I get notes of leather, definitely amber, and then the vanilla and patchouli come out in the dry down. It stays close to the skin but I think it is sexy as hell.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? It is to me.

The only quibble I have with this is the packaging. There is no cap to the sprayer, just a plastic tube that goes over it in the box to keep it from spraying. So I'll have to decant if I want to travel with it. Otherwise, the bottle is BEAUTIFUL.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by lemonprint

I love Eau de Merveilles to start with, but I really like this ambery version of it. It's not too sweet (I'm not that much of an amber lover, but I like it OK); this is more of a sheer amber, more like Amouage's Opus VI type of amber but at a much more affordable price point. It has the lovely ambergrisy florals of the original EdM, but is soft, wearable, pretty, and gourmand without being sticky or heavy. I'll probably find myself reaching for this a lot when I'm not sure what to wear - it's kind of all-purpose.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by belleepoque

I can't believe I'm giving an Hermes perfume such a low rating...granted, I don't love all their fragrances (my favorites are by Hermes, though). But what bothers me about this one in particular is that it is a dead-ringer for Vera Wang Princess. Process that. Princess came out in 2006 and was marketed towards a teenage girl demographic. It's not a bad fragrance, but Hermes is charging over a hundred dollars for a single ounce of a scent that was targeted for teenyboppers. No thank you.