April 18, 2014 | 1957 users online

Mascara - TheBalm - The Body Builder

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by brunosbabysquirrel

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Awesome product, curls my lashes really well and it doesn't lose intensity throughout the day which is pretty important for someone with short lashes like me. Plus it's super black!! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 2:39:00 AM More reviews by fashe

I got to try this mascara last year and since then I have been liking this product a lot. It doesn't smudge on me, and wears for a long time without flaking (which is what alot of non-smudging mascaras do to me). It gives OK volume, unfortunately not like the name described but it does have a more natural finish and I experienced almost no clumps. It also holds up my curls really well that sometimes I do not even need to curl my lashes.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2013 7:53:00 PM More reviews by rvdiaz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you love Loreal's voluminous carbon black, you most likely will LOVE this Mascara, it has a similar waxy and thickening formula, i loved it, it has a cleaner finish than the Carbon Black mascara when you apply the same amount of strokes, it really thickens and makes your lashes look super black. If your not a fan of thickening mascaras, this isn't for you. It also doesn't have a wet formula so it doesn't smudge easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by sam23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

what a great mascara!! I swapped for a sample from an ipsy bag and I loooove it. I just used it today for the first time in a while and it works so well, instant mega length!! I would definitely buy this in full size. it gives volume and excellent length.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by musicat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I received a sample of this mascara in my October Glam Bag. I wasn't sure about it after the first use, but after a day or two I really liked it. It gives some body, but a lot of length, which is what I really need. I really like the brush, its small and makes it easier for me to do my lower lashes and inner corner lashes. It doesn't flake and lasts for most of the day. I only gave it 4 stars because I think if you load it on it will get a little clumpy, so watch out. I got the best results doing multiple layers all at once instead of waiting in between. I ordered a full size on cyber monday for 40%. Definitely worth it! Just wishing theBalm was available in stores like Sephora since I'm not too crazy about paying for shipping.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 10:49:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

What's Your Type? The Body Builder is one of two new theBalm mascaras (the other one is called Tall, Dark,&Handsome). This "long lasting, clump free mascara boasts a highly pigmented formula and a deep, black finish that won't smudge, smear, or weaken throughout the day. Specially formulated with Vitamin E, Panthenol, and Bamboo. The Body Builder works to condition and strengthen lashes to their fullest and foxiest. Its just what you need to build impressive body - without breaking a sweat". Oh, theBalm, how I love your product descriptions. I received a sample sized 3.5ml (.11fl oz) tube in my October Ipsy Bag. The 12ml (.43fl oz) full size tube retails for $19. theBalm's products can be purchased from the brand's website, Sephora, and can sometimes be found at stores like TJ Maxx at a discounted price. theBalm does not test on animals. This mascara was made in Germany.
The Body Builder's black plastic tube inquires "What's Your Type?". Then it answers for you with the name of the product; the Body Builder. On the side of the tube you can find some company info and a full ingredient list. Printing a whole ingredient list on a little tube like this one takes away from the cuteness factor all little products have, but I'll take a thoroughly labeled product over a cute one any day. That being said, theBalm is renowned for their cute, quirky, vintage packaging, and I don't think that this mascara's tube fits in with that. I don't really have any suggestions on how they could improve that though, so lets move on to the brush.
The Body Builder's brush is described by theBalm as "volumizing", but this doesn't seem like your typical volumizing brush. Brushes that deliver a lot of volume are often very round, large brushes. The Body Builder's brush is pretty long, nearly an inch, but this brush is actually pretty thin with short, traditional bristles that I associate with lengthening. The bristles are fairly close together and hold quite a bit of product. Though this brush isn't anything unique, I've definitely worked with similar brushes before, I find something about it kinda unwieldly. I tend to catch my eyelid, right at the base of my lashes, and the bottom of my browbone while I sweep the brush through my lashes. Either way, this isn't the best brush, at least not for a volumizing mascara.
The Body Builder has a wet, heavy formula. This isn't quite as wet as say, Rimmel's Sexy Curves Full Figure, or Maybelline's Great Lash, but like both of the aforementioned mascaras it never seems to dry all the way. My lashes stay sticky and tacky no matter how long this stuff is on. Do you even know how uncomfortable it is to have wet eyelashes for like eight hours? The results I get from The Body Builder aren't what I would expect from the name or description. I get almost no body, or volume from The Body Builder. That doesn't even make sense. I do, however, get really nice length! Sadly, some of that nice length gets canceled out by the weight of this mascara, which makes my lashes droop. This stuff can't hold a curl worth anything either. The Body Builder, ironically, gives me more separation than volume, though I experience some clumping as well after 2 coats. The results I get from theBalm's mascara varies a lot each time I use it. Sometimes my lashes look pretty good, but never fantastic. Other times it is a downright eyelash disaster. This mascara just isn't dependable. That is not my type.
Wear for this mascara is ok, but still not that great. It doesn't flake or smear, despite remaining tacky, but it does smudge just a little bit. It leaves a few dots of products on my browbone, but that's all. That being said, I would never wear this mascara to work, during hot weather, or if I was planning to be more active than usual. Because of it's wet formula, The Body Builder definitely has the propensity to smear under certain circumstances. This mascara is pretty easy to remover. It comes right off with no problem just with some water and cleanser or makeup remover.
theBalm's What's Your Type? The Body Builder mascara is ok. Just ok. Definitely not worth $19. I don't get much body from The Body Builder, but I appreciate the length it delivers. I don't have any major wear issues from this mascara, but I also don't trust it to hold up in a hot or moist environment. I'm pretty disappointed, I really like everything I've tried from theBalm, not that its been a lot, but this mascara was my first real disappointment. Not even the packaging is quite up to par with what I expect from this brand. I do not recommend this mascara, nor will I purchase a full size tube. I will likely finish this sample tube though, really its not an awful mascara and I've already used a fair amount of this little sample.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by SmashKetchum

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This has got to be one of the most disappointing mascaras I've ever used! While the packaging is totally cute (As The Balm's packaging always is), the product inside is a dismal. From the moment you take the wand out you can tell that it is a clumpy formula, as it looks gloopy on the brush. As you start to put it on, it immediately starts coating your lashes in a wet, black colour (Which I like). However, it doesn't live up to the statement of being defining, considering it just gloops my lashes into 3 big lashes. What makes it worse is after an hour of wear, I start to have raccoon eyes and lots of flaking! The flakes get into my eyes, causing them to water and become irritated. The only plus I can say is, if you use "The Body Builder" first, and then go over it with The Balm's "Tall, Dark, and Handsome", it gives your lashes great length, good volume and definition. But for the price of $22CAD (At LD) it's really not worth it whatsoever. Would not recommend for anyone, unless you have money to burn and you love the balm. (I will say, their eyeshadows are AMAZING!)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/15/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by georgide

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Got a sample of this in my glambag, was pretty excited cuz i'm not picky with mascara and would never buy full price thebalm mascara product sight unseen. I did not like it at all! It made my lashes stick together and also separate! like a few stuck together then a big space, then a few more stuck together and so on. this has never happened to me with any other mascara, i usually don't have any problems. I don't own a mascara brush to try to break up the clumps. Maybe my sample was a little dried out or something? would never purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2012 12:40:00 PM More reviews by DearSherry

I got a deluxe sample of this in my ipsy glambag for October. I currently use Lancome Hypnose Doll Lashes, which is an amazing jet black formula, but I actually preferred this to the Hypnose when I had a chance to try it. This formula seemed to be a better fit for my particular lashes.

My lashes are VERY long and very straight, and even after a curl and two coats of most other mascaras, they always sink and straight back downwards again. I think that because this is a waxy, faster drying formula (as a past reviewer explained), I found that my lashes for the first time in my life have actually maintained a curl without me having to heat up my curler with a blow dryer!

I experience no clumping with this formula, but perhaps this is because I apply the mascara all at once and don't wait for it to dry/go back again after. I don't think continuously building upon this formula is necessary, as it seems to look great with less as it is.

I have experiencing no smearing, no black dots under my eyes. It stays put and looks natural.

Overall, very pleased. So glad I had the opportunity to try this. I may get this after my Hypnose runs out, although I have been hoping to try Benefit They're Real! mascara. I am not sure how the formulas compare.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 1:27:00 AM More reviews by yousoldtheworld

I was surprised that I fell in love with this mascara! While it did add body and volume, I was most surprised at how much length it added! I love that it dried quickly, and it held a curl all day. In fact, I can get away with skipping the eyelash curler with this mascara. Super impressed.