TheBalm The Body Builder

3.6

Water, Sorbitan Olivate, Caranuba Wax, Rice Bran Wax, Stearic Acid,VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Sorbitol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Tocopherol, Bis-Peg/PPG 16/16, Dimethicone, DMPA Copolymer, Panthenol, Isopropyl Myristate, Caprylic/Capric Trigylceride, Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf/Stem extract, Phenoxyethanol, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Iron Oxides

on 4/2/2015 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

This is a pretty crappy product. I though the hourglass shape brush would be great to use but I was so wrong. It takes out way too much product but the mascara formula itself is very wet so it's very clumpy when you apply. I've had to use a lash comb every single time to make sure my lashes don't look like crap. The brush does not separate lashes at all. It also takes some time to dry and weighs down lashes. Overall, definitely would not repurchase. I want to toss it since it's more effort than it's worth but it's pretty pricey. Will be sticking to my HG Maybelline Lash Stiletto

on 3/29/2015 8:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I received this as a free gift with the nude dude palette. It's very gloopy and wet. I'm usually a drugstore mascara purchaser so... Meh. Kind of clumpy and definitely not my favorite.

on 10/12/2014 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

PROS: Extremely black matte shade really makes lashes stand out. Fibres extend off the ends of lashes and make them look way longer. Builds easily, dries very quickly. Does not smudge. Not much flaking (a tiny amount). Washes off easily.

CONS: Not that much volume. Sticky thick dry formula sticks lashes together, looks clumpy, fake, and feels heavy. Makes lashes feel sticky and crispy and can't get a lash comb through to separate. Made my lashes look crinkly and not smooth. I think other mascaras look much more "polished" and I prefer their look more. Feels unpleasant when washing off. Some lash breakage. The end of the brush not tapered and pokes me in the eye. The middle of the brush has a slight dip and I don't like how it applied, I think it took longer than usual. Pricey.

on 9/24/2014 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I'm on a TheBalm kick, so when I needed a new mascara I decided to try one from this brand. They sell TheBalm at the Kohl's in my neighborhood, so trying new makeup was as easy as a quick, one-stop trip, rather than trekking to department stores at the mall. I used tester mascara brushes to try Tall Dark & Handsome mascara and The Body Builder mascaras.

Tall Dark & Handsome mascara has a "traditional" type straight wand and brush with synthetic bristles. The brush deposits mascara and fibers onto lashes. I like the size of the brush head, because it's about 1" long and 1/4" wide. The densely packed bristles are short, and they are longer at the top and bottom, and shorter in the middle (like an hourglass shape). The wand is great for precision application on my fine, short lashes. I make a mess all over my eyes with Large wands (i.e. BadGal and LORAC PRO), so I really like this brush. Unlike most mascaras with fibers, I do not need to comb my lashes for separation after mascara application!

I put Tall & Dark on my left eye and Body on my right eye. Since I'd been devoid of makeup, both formulas looked pretty terrific. Without super close inspection (and expectations influenced by the packaging) I really couldn't see much difference in each eye after one applying one coat. After two coats, however, my left lashes definitely looked longer and more defined, and my right lashes looked a little thicker, longer, and curled. I wasn't wearing eyeliner (obviously), and it seemed to me that Body created a better look. When I wear eyeliner, though, I'm thinking I'd have preferred Tall Dark, because it made my lashes reach higher toward my brows. The curled lashes from Body don't stand out as much.

It's likely I'd purchase this mascara again. It's about $10.00 cheaper than what I usually pay for mascara, which is quite nice. I'm going to buy Tall Dark & Handsom, which has a brush with short, rubber bristles (i.e. They're Real) next time around. Maybe I just need them both!

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Awesome product, curls my lashes really well and it doesn't lose intensity throughout the day which is pretty important for someone with short lashes like me. Plus it's super black!! Love it!

on 9/12/2013 2:39:00 AM

I got to try this mascara last year and since then I have been liking this product a lot. It doesn't smudge on me, and wears for a long time without flaking (which is what alot of non-smudging mascaras do to me). It gives OK volume, unfortunately not like the name described but it does have a more natural finish and I experienced almost no clumps. It also holds up my curls really well that sometimes I do not even need to curl my lashes.

on 4/24/2013 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If you love Loreal's voluminous carbon black, you most likely will LOVE this Mascara, it has a similar waxy and thickening formula, i loved it, it has a cleaner finish than the Carbon Black mascara when you apply the same amount of strokes, it really thickens and makes your lashes look super black. If your not a fan of thickening mascaras, this isn't for you. It also doesn't have a wet formula so it doesn't smudge easily.

on 1/18/2013 2:33:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

what a great mascara!! I swapped for a sample from an ipsy bag and I loooove it. I just used it today for the first time in a while and it works so well, instant mega length!! I would definitely buy this in full size. it gives volume and excellent length.

on 12/10/2012 6:43:00 PM

I received a sample of this mascara in my October Glam Bag. I wasn't sure about it after the first use, but after a day or two I really liked it. It gives some body, but a lot of length, which is what I really need. I really like the brush, its small and makes it easier for me to do my lower lashes and inner corner lashes. It doesn't flake and lasts for most of the day. I only gave it 4 stars because I think if you load it on it will get a little clumpy, so watch out. I got the best results doing multiple layers all at once instead of waiting in between. I ordered a full size on cyber monday for 40%. Definitely worth it! Just wishing theBalm was available in stores like Sephora since I'm not too crazy about paying for shipping.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

What's Your Type? The Body Builder is one of two new theBalm mascaras (the other one is called Tall, Dark,&Handsome). This "long lasting, clump free mascara boasts a highly pigmented formula and a deep, black finish that won't smudge, smear, or weaken throughout the day. Specially formulated with Vitamin E, Panthenol, and Bamboo. The Body Builder works to condition and strengthen lashes to their fullest and foxiest. Its just what you need to build impressive body - without breaking a sweat". Oh, theBalm, how I love your product descriptions. I received a sample sized 3.5ml (.11fl oz) tube in my October Ipsy Bag. The 12ml (.43fl oz) full size tube retails for $19. theBalm's products can be purchased from the brand's website, Sephora, and can sometimes be found at stores like TJ Maxx at a discounted price. theBalm does not test on animals. This mascara was made in Germany.
The Body Builder's black plastic tube inquires "What's Your Type?". Then it answers for you with the name of the product; the Body Builder. On the side of the tube you can find some company info and a full ingredient list. Printing a whole ingredient list on a little tube like this one takes away from the cuteness factor all little products have, but I'll take a thoroughly labeled product over a cute one any day. That being said, theBalm is renowned for their cute, quirky, vintage packaging, and I don't think that this mascara's tube fits in with that. I don't really have any suggestions on how they could improve that though, so lets move on to the brush.
The Body Builder's brush is described by theBalm as "volumizing", but this doesn't seem like your typical volumizing brush. Brushes that deliver a lot of volume are often very round, large brushes. The Body Builder's brush is pretty long, nearly an inch, but this brush is actually pretty thin with short, traditional bristles that I associate with lengthening. The bristles are fairly close together and hold quite a bit of product. Though this brush isn't anything unique, I've definitely worked with similar brushes before, I find something about it kinda unwieldly. I tend to catch my eyelid, right at the base of my lashes, and the bottom of my browbone while I sweep the brush through my lashes. Either way, this isn't the best brush, at least not for a volumizing mascara.
The Body Builder has a wet, heavy formula. This isn't quite as wet as say, Rimmel's Sexy Curves Full Figure, or Maybelline's Great Lash, but like both of the aforementioned mascaras it never seems to dry all the way. My lashes stay sticky and tacky no matter how long this stuff is on. Do you even know how uncomfortable it is to have wet eyelashes for like eight hours? The results I get from The Body Builder aren't what I would expect from the name or description. I get almost no body, or volume from The Body Builder. That doesn't even make sense. I do, however, get really nice length! Sadly, some of that nice length gets canceled out by the weight of this mascara, which makes my lashes droop. This stuff can't hold a curl worth anything either. The Body Builder, ironically, gives me more separation than volume, though I experience some clumping as well after 2 coats. The results I get from theBalm's mascara varies a lot each time I use it. Sometimes my lashes look pretty good, but never fantastic. Other times it is a downright eyelash disaster. This mascara just isn't dependable. That is not my type.
Wear for this mascara is ok, but still not that great. It doesn't flake or smear, despite remaining tacky, but it does smudge just a little bit. It leaves a few dots of products on my browbone, but that's all. That being said, I would never wear this mascara to work, during hot weather, or if I was planning to be more active than usual. Because of it's wet formula, The Body Builder definitely has the propensity to smear under certain circumstances. This mascara is pretty easy to remover. It comes right off with no problem just with some water and cleanser or makeup remover.
theBalm's What's Your Type? The Body Builder mascara is ok. Just ok. Definitely not worth $19. I don't get much body from The Body Builder, but I appreciate the length it delivers. I don't have any major wear issues from this mascara, but I also don't trust it to hold up in a hot or moist environment. I'm pretty disappointed, I really like everything I've tried from theBalm, not that its been a lot, but this mascara was my first real disappointment. Not even the packaging is quite up to par with what I expect from this brand. I do not recommend this mascara, nor will I purchase a full size tube. I will likely finish this sample tube though, really its not an awful mascara and I've already used a fair amount of this little sample.

Popular Mascaras