L'Artisan Fragrances Seville a l'Aube

3.6

on 6/1/2015 8:18:00 PM

I buy this perfume on Hautelook, it was such a great deal, it was a blind purchase. I really like it but I will have passed it full price. It remind me of Nuit de Turebeuse but with more vanilla and orange blossom. between the two I prefer Nuit de Tubereuse but hey that one wasn't on sale at a steep discount. For me this is a summer scent, office friendly. the longevity is better then most of Artisan offering but won't last all day, reapplying will be necessary during the day.

on 1/21/2015 1:09:00 PM

Agree with Jardines1. jasmine, orange blossom, incense, smoke. I oddly don't get as much Lavander as other reviewers here.

It's intriguing, but somehow unsettling. (not unsettling like unwearable, Etat Libre D'Orang Magnificent Secretions). I am wary of. Jasmine and orange blossom because my skin cannot handle indolic scents, but this is fine.

I have a feeling that I will revisit and I increase the stars OR it will provoke a migraine or sneezing fit. Either of two extremes.

Not a blind buy.

Note: as per Gother's review below, if Yankee Candles smelt like this, perhaps i should buy some.

on 12/4/2014 8:05:00 AM

It's hard for me to write a review of Seville l'Aube because while I recognize that it's well-composed - I just don't like it. Usually, when I write a negative review of a fragrance, it's either because it smells cheap or it smells like a million other fragrances already on the market. Neither is true of Seville l'Aube. I know that many other people see it as a masterpiece of the perfumer's art and maybe they're right, but something about the scent just puts me off. Maybe it's some of the ingredients, like lavender (which I don't like) or benzoin.

on 4/15/2013 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

It's not a straightforward, sweet, cheerful orange blossom. This one is rounded out by a warm lavendar, beeswax, and the little hints of incense that remind me of Nuit de Tubereuse. Nevertheless, I find it warm and airy and fresh, and of course evocative, given the story. I was iffy about it on the first try, but as my skin warms it up I enjoy it more and more.

on 1/23/2013 4:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Yes yes yes! Delirious experience for us perfume geeks, to see this beautiful thing created! It is a woodsy oriental, with some of the same DNA to my nose as the stunning Nuit de Tubereuse. It is rich, luscious, modern, extremely skin friendly and enveloping with good persistence and sillage. To me this is a desert island scent, really sensual and rich, a pleasure.

To me this is a very clean, classic orange blossom-and-lavender colgne smell--reminds me very much of the L'Occitane store in the outside strip mall of Southlake, TX where they would burn various incense sticks and candles--that mishmash of lavender-floral-spice-soap smell. Granted, it's not the grand symphonic, classic French perfume (though it is very French in the notes used--lavender, orange blossom & incense) I was expecting, but it's quite beautiful, comforting and reflective. I like it!

on 12/31/2012 6:58:00 AM

..this one is sharp,green tuberose...or is it?
after an hour a beautiful,creamy orange emerges not unlike SL Fleur d'Oranger.....a wonderfully crafted fragrance, but little too loud for me....

12.l01.2015.revisited: .....became a proud owner of a bottle of this stuff.....oh, kafkaesque blog said it all...it is unbearable the first 20 minutes, lavender is so annoying,oily,persistant, and then orange which is a pure waxy ''Comme des Garcons Daphne type orange''....omg,that was just too much...but wait,wait, this one demands patience,because after 40 minutes, you will be rewarded with a fantasticly strange, completely unique deep,dusty,succulent and waxy orange which could be great for the summer but now it is winter and I could't seem to find a better companion than this perfume....
marvelous,not for everybody and definitela for patient and slow burning people...definitely a keeper,and for those who like very strange and unique orange scents...

sillage and longievity-unbelievable for L'Artisan aka ''evapporating-in-minutes-perfumes''

on 12/19/2012 2:00:00 PM

I was lucky enough to be included in a split of this fragrance before it hit shelves in the USA. I had read the rave reviews and wondered what precentage of hype vs reality was at play.

At first sniff I was transported to a lush night blooming jasmine bush inntermingled with orange blossoms in full bloom--sheer heaven! Very green and woody as well. Ahhhhh, then came the incense, lavender and smoke. It is an introspective, calming scent. It has less to do with incense and more about the orange blossom and greenness. Longevity is excellent, although it is not an "in-your-face" fragrance.

I am not an orange blossom perfume fan but I fell very hard for this one. I pre-ordered a bottle (a first for me). It is definitely worth a sniff--and as for me, Seville has a permanent place in my fragrance repertoire--sheer magic!

on 11/21/2012 1:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Eyes: Violet

The notes list is tantalizing and I had great expectations about a fragrance from a house that usually makes great fumes (namely, La Chasse, Jour de Fete, Timbuktu and the amazing incense that is Passage d'Enfer). I love orange blossom and I especially love Beeswax, not per se, but for the way it adds solidity and consistency to any fragrance where it appears.
Smelling it, on the other way, was slightly deceiving: after the triumphant start of fresh orange flowers mixed with lavender, the notes of incense started to appear and to make the mix aethereal and just a tad mysterious, not girly. After that, the beeswax made its entrance and I almost felt the fragrance melting like a church candle into something warmer and deeper, not unpleasant, but I couldn't avoid the association:
Orange Blossom + Beeswax = Yankee Candle
OK, a Yankee Candle that I would respect and maybe buy in bulks for my house, but not wear as a personal scent.
The only possible salvation is that I tried this fragrance in the late fall and I guess this is better suited for springtime, so I'm waiting for the next spring to come and give it another try, expecting the beeswax to feel less heavy and the orange blossom more cheerful and light.

on 10/21/2012 7:06:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

The incredible amounts of writing in the perfume blogosphere about this perfume had me expecting something a little more...distinctive. But it's really just a nice orange blossom with touches of incense and a labdanum-type smelling lavender (L. luisieri). The opening is crisp and interesting, but lasts just a few minutes. The drydown lasts for several hours and is very reminiscent of L'Artisans Nuit de Tubereuse. In fact, it's a lighter version of that perfume during the drydown, with a dash of Fruity Pebbles. It's worth seeking out if you love orange blossom perfumes. I like orange blossom very much, but there are others out there that are much more interesting.
Later addition: By the third wearing, I found I was getting a huge headache from the very strong drydown. Same thing happened with NdT, so it must be a particular aromachemical in common to both, ouch!

Popular Fragrances