July 30, 2014 | 1183 users online

Palettes - Tarte - The Big Thrill LE Color Collection

rated 4.0(1 review)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I came across this shiny pink and gold box at Ulta, and since I'd never tried any Tarte products before, I thought that for about $50, this would be a good opportunity to try three different products. I especially liked the set of shadows because the colors are fun, but still suitable for the office. The blushes also caught my eye because they seemed suited to my skintone (fair, pink undertones).

The set has 16 full-sized Amazonian Clay Eyeshadows, 4 Amazonian Clay Blushes, and 3 full-sized Vitamin Infused Lipglosses. They are all arranged in an eye-catching box with pullout drawers in which the products sit.

This is a lot of product for about $50, but what matters is whether they work well. Thus far, I think I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

I've been working with the eyeshadows, and it can be tricky to figure out which shades to use because a few go on more sheerly than they appear (Giant Peach). I wish these shades were less dusty and more adherent to the skin. I'm used to UD shadows that practically jump on your eyes from the pan. Other shades, however, are very pigmented (Brilliant Bronze), and apply just like my Naked 2's.

The blushes are blendable, sheer, and natural on the skin, and the highlighter imparts a soft sheen. You can also highlight and sculpt with the bronzer and shimmer powders, which is really convenient.

The glosses are all scented like their namesakes, and they apply sheerly and kind of fade into the lips after a short while. They don't have the thick, film-forming quality of MAC glosses, for example, and they seem to be suited for a super-natural rather than dramatic look. I am currently the least impressed with this part of the set.

Part of the reason I got this set is that even though I have many eyeshadows I could honestly say that the colors in this set were not merely dupes of stuff I already owned. The colors:
Shooting Star - sheer sparkly/glittery ivory
Giant Peach - sheer glittery champagne
Totally Taupe - shimmery warm taupe
Brilliant Bronze - high shimmer reddish-undertoned bronze
Cloud 9 - satin matte bisque
Pop of Pink - sheer glittery/shimmery cool pink
Amazed by Amethyst - shimmery amethyst purple
Pumped About Purple - satin matte eggplant
Silver Burst - high shimmer cool white with a gray/blue undertone (imo, a standout shade as an interesting alternative to white shimmer eyeshadow)
Next Level Lilac - satiny grayed lavender, similar to Puck but slightly less warm
Intergalactic Metallic - high shimmer gunmetal gray
Jump for Juniper - satin matte deep green with a blue undertone, a true evergreen color
Clay Crush - soft matte greige
Rush of Gold - high shimmer gold, less yellow than Mac's Goldmine, closer to Amberlights, but maybe less red-orange
Go for the Green - shimmery spring/olive green
Exquisite Emerald - pretty dupe-y of Mac's Club and UD's Lounge, but Lounge applies more red on me, and this shade retains a delicate emerald shine

The blushes:
Park Ave Princess - a sheer, shimmery golden bronzer
Angelic - sheer, shimmery golden cream highlighter
Thrilled - shimmery cool pink
Curious - satin matte warm apricot/peach

The lipglosses:
Strawberry Sensation - sheer, slightly shimmery, creamy pink
Apple-a-Day - sheer, slightly glittery cool fuschia
Abra-Cad-Apricot - sheer, creamy warm nude pink

Right now, The Big Thrill is getting a 4 from me while I still spend some time using it. It's a great value and a good choice for someone who wants a lot of variety for relatively little money, considering what HE products cost apiece. It can be good or bad for travel–it won't fit in a purse, but maybe it could downsize a huge makeup bag in a suitcase. I'm sure it would look lovely sitting on a vanity, and I think a lot of women would be excited to get it as a gift, especially if they're into natural but luxurious products.

I'll update later if my opinion changes.