September 17, 2014 | 2002 users online

Mascara - Lavera - Intense Volumizing mascara

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2012 8:24:00 AM More reviews by slivka81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

To start with, I have fairly long but thin and light eyelashes, so I'm always looking for good volume and color.
I really had high hopes for this mascara - I wanted to try something that had natural ingredients. After reading reviews of various different mascaras, I decided to purchase this. I was sorely disappointed. I do not have particularly sensitive eyes but the mascara was stinging and burning my eyes badly. Reading other reviews of Lavera's mascaras I noticed that quiet a few reviewers experienced the same. It did nothing for volume or length either, it only added color. The brush is big and bulky, I understand that women either love it or hate it, I guess one needs to know how to use it. However the formula was rather wet and it would end up not only all over my eyelids but also in my waterline - so unless I was wearing a black eyeliner, there is was no point putting the mascara on with other eyeliner/eyeshadow colors. I tried it few times just to be sure, it was stinging me and it smudged every single time. What a waste of money.Avoid.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2012 10:03:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My review is for the 'Intense Volumizing Mascara' in black. I bought this at Target for around $12. First off, this mascara did absolutely nothing for me. No volume, no lengthening, nothing. After about 3 coats I could see some minor difference, but not much. I do have fairly long dark lashes to start with, but it was shocking how little this did. I've used lighter/natural mascaras like Aveda and Besame 1930s mascara before, so I'm not always after false-type lashes, but this literally looked like I had NO mascara on at all. Secondly, I do not have overly sensitive eyes, and in my 20+ years of wearing cosmetics, I have only had a reaction to ONE other product (Diorshow mascara). Two days into using the Lavera mascara, I had to throw it away. I had the *exact* same reaction I had to the Diorshow - horrible eye itching, swelling, and redness. I'm not sure what is in this product since it is supposedly all natural & safe, but it made the rims of my eyes itch so horribly it was unbearable. Red eyes & itching for 2 days after I tossed this. I am typically not one to post bad reviews, but if I could give this zero stars, I would. Zero performance and extremely irritating ingredients. Avoid at all costs!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2012 4:50:00 PM More reviews by jedi_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

To clarify, my review is for the 'Intense Volumizing Mascara' in black. It is a fat oblong tube and is found at this link here: http://www.lavera.com/products/Intense_Volumizing_Mascara_Black-987-1000024.html

This is another mascara that does absolutely nothing for me.

To begin it is important to share a few things about my lashes and my product experience so that you can take away from this review useful information for yourself:
1)my lashes are black and long and I have lots of them, but they are thin. So what I want is just volume or thickening.
2) Most mascaras smudge on me as I have extremely oily eye lids. This includes high end department store mascaras. As a result I only put mascara on my top lid, I don't even bother with the lower lash line (unless I get a water proof forumula).
3) My favourite mascara so far is Maybelline Full & Soft because it is so dependable. i.e. It does not smudge or flake and gives me a soft volume. Nothing crazy dramatic, just lush volume.

So my expectations from this Lavera Intense Volumizing was just to match the volume from Full & Soft, I wasn't actually expecting *intense volume* like the name implies.

Unfortunately this mascara was only able to add a tiny bit of definition to my lashes in that it made them a bit more 'black' looking. But there was NO volume or thickening to my lashes. So what I wanted from this mascara was not achievable.

The brush is very large and thick and not easy to use. It has so many bristles that I could not get my own lashes down into the crevices of the brush to get a proper coat of mascara on. As a result it look a while to apply this mascara as I needed to work very carefully with the brush.

The formula was smooth and creamy and applied easily (other than the brush issue). I did not have any smudging which is a great thing. Most mascaras can't say the same thing on my eyes ;) It is a wet formula so I needed to be careful not to get it on my lid.

And the price tag of $26.00 CAD was too much for me, but what I am understanding now is that when it comes to 'all natural' mascaras one has to cough up a little dough. Okay, fine, I can come around to this idea. But if I *am* going to cough up the dough then the product *needs* to do something and unfortunately this one missed the mark.

Because the formula is creamy and glides on nicely and there was no smudging I am giving it 2 lippies. Thank goodness the store took it back.

The girl at the store said she uses the 'Double Black Lavera Mascara' which has two ends/brushes to it and she swears by it. She was wearing it and I could tell she definitely had some thickness. But her lashes were very different than mine so I am not sure how it would perform on me. If I feel like risking another $26.00CAD I might give it a try. But for now I'm a little gun shy. (Another option the ladies at the health food store gave me is Dr Haushka's Volumizing mascara but that is a leap in price point and I'm not sure I would be able to take the disappointment if that one didn't work either ;)