La Roche Posay CICAPLAST BAUME B5 (Multi-purpose/soothing repairing balm)

4.6

AQUA / WATER HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE DIMETHICONE GLYCERIN BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER / SHEA BUTTER PANTHENOL BUTYLENE GLYCOL ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE PROPANEDIOL CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE TRISTEARIN ZINC GLUCONATE MADECASSOSIDE MANGANESE GLUCONATE MAGNESIUM SULFATE DISODIUM EDTA COPPER GLUCONATE ACETYLATED GLYCOL STEARATE POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE SODIUM BENZOATE PHENOXYETHANOL CHLORHEXIDINE DIGLUCONATE CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE

on 6/23/2015 5:06:00 PM

After reading some reviews I bought this thinking that it would be good for when my skin is acting up. When I got an itchy rash near my mouth (probably from being allergic to something) I tried using it. It didn't soothe the itching or help the rash at all, and it also balled up on my skin. I tried using it several more times but gave up and used my regular moisturizer after that. More recently I tried to use this again for an itchy bug bite on my hand but again, this didn't do anything for the itching at all. I wouldn't buy again.

on 6/23/2015 3:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Great for extra moisture. Very nourishing and repairing.

on 5/30/2015 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is fantastic!

I had a contact dermatitis in both cheeks (very red, itchy and burning skin) due to using a new cleanser from Essence: My Skin Mattifying Cleansing Gel. I was desperate, I had never experienced such a allergic reaction, but the Cicaplast baume saved me! I applied this the same day that the rash appears, in a couple of hours it calmed down the eritema and the burning sensation, it was really amazing.

I have sensitive combination acne prone skin, I put a thick layer in the night and did not break me out, wich is a huge point for me. The next morning my skin was almost normal, great! Also, is very affordable for being a La Roche Posay product and the packaging is practical, hygienic and sleek.

Now that my skin has returned to normal I use it some nights when I feel my skin more on the dry side and/or my cheeks are more red than the usual. The next morning my skin is hydrated and soothed.

I will repurchase for sure!

on 5/16/2015 2:13:00 PM

This is amazing for sensitive skin. I had horribly dry hands during winter and my skin was at the point of cracking from lack of moisture, ordinary hand creams did not help at all. I live in Scandinavia so wet and snowy cold weather was unavoidable. I went to the pharmacy because I knew I needed extra help and got recommended this product. After only a week my hands were completely normal again.
I was really amazed with how well it had worked and started applying it whenever I had a skin issue, as it is a multi purpose product. Not only did it nurse my hands back to health, it works for pimples, rosy cheeks, dry skin, scaring, sun burn. This is the answer. I sometimes use it under my day creme or smear it under my night creme as an extra treatment.

The packaging is very straight forward and simple, the tube is easy to squeeze and the product is easy to measure.
The cream has a good consistency, doesn't have any perfumed scents and smears easily.
Since it's a pharmacy product that actually works really well it's not particular expensive compared to other products, but it might be cheaper here in Europe than the U.S.
I'm on my second tube, and I will repurchase.

on 5/11/2015 3:17:00 AM

So disappointed! After breaking out in an awful red bumpy rash out of nowhere on my forehead I was eager to try this product after reading such good reviews about its effect on super sensitive and irritated skin. But on first application it just burned! So much that I had to wipe it off and quickly apply an alternative cream to the area to cool it. I persevered thinking it may require a few go's, but 5 applications later I need to cease using it. My forehead is even itchier and burns more, after using this cream. Don't know how this can receive such good reviews for being suitable for irritated skin as it's made mine worse. Very disappointed

on 5/2/2015 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is a must! It is expensive but its amazing. Acne scars than last weeks disappear in 3 days. Totally love it

on 4/3/2015 10:43:00 AM

Amazing stuff! I've been using it for 3 days now and it has saved my skin. Red flaky patches and acne spots that just wouldn't heal properly for weeks and weeks are almost gone. Skin feels glowing and well moisturized.
I was weary first to use this all over my face as it seems quite thick, but my skin drinks it up and it doesn't cause breakouts at all. It reminds me a little of bepanthen healing salve that I used as a kid for cuts and abrasions and I think they share the ingredient panthenol, which is very beneficiary for healing and moisturizing.
It is quite thick but unlike a typical diaper rash cream for instance it doesn't have this white chalkiness. Also it is really good as a makeup base.

Highly recommended!

on 3/28/2015 7:44:00 PM

Amazing if your going through accutane treatment and have really dry skin! This helped me a lot!

on 3/26/2015 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

DESCRIPTION

A barrier-repair balm. A simple moisturiser. An amazing magic miracle marvellous godsend.

In a plastic flip-top tube. Simple design, nice clear fonts, no frou-frou or outrageous verbiage; nothing triggering aesthetic, semantic, or rhetorical allergies.

The contents: Bland, basic, unscented, fairly thick whiteish-coloured cream/balm. Spreads easily on skin, which is useful if your skin is in such a dire state that you can't rub or massage it, only pat gently.

Key functional stuff:
---blandness (wate, shea butter, glycerin, panthenol)
---marvellousness (water (again), zinc gluconate, copper gluconate, magnesium sulphate, madecassoside).

WHY?

I have been using Cicaplast Baume for nearly a week, as a barrier repair cream.

Skin here: in a normal state it is dry, thin/fragile, reactive, irritable, with occasional eczema.

At the beginning of this month, this skin was hit by what I thought was just the usual seasonal allergies. Turned out (once I got around to admitting this was worse than mere allergies and went to the doctor) there was also a skin staph infection. The result was red, inflamed, rashy, with raised things that looked spotty or cysty; very sensitive to the touch. Puffy eyes, watering, part-closed when the allergic end of things was severe. Any water on my face hurt: eyes watering, washing my face, even--at its worst--rain.

It is possible that there may be other things going on with my skin, incouding rosacea. I got the tip to use this balm (or at least start looking at La Roche-Posay) from a combination of doctor #2's list of Approved Unguents and MUA, with massive thanks to some of the most helpful super-star MUAers who have rosacea, especially Lizzy28 and sebderminformation.

Also good (maybe even better, and good around eyes): LRP Tolériane Ultra.

Other things used: oral antihistamines, 3-day course of heavy oral antibiotics, bland syndet liquid cleanser, Metrogel topical 1% magic potion, then this stuff applied once the Metrogel has sunk in and dried. (Update 2015-03-29: Had to stop the Metrogel with irritation by it. All else here stands.) LRP Tolériane Ultra in the eye area and on other skin unaffected by The Grot. Then a physical sunscreen.

My face is much better. I can, for example, go outside in the rain without wanting to claw my face off. When you live in a temperate rainforest climate, that's pretty important for everyday life. My skin is generally soothed and feels pretty normal.

I've also been using the Baume on my hands, which feel better and may be less grotty, crackly, etc.

Will report back if any changes occur.

COMPARISONS

Other barrier-repair creams may well work as well; this one happened to be well-recommended on MUA and beauté-test.com, is readily-available immediately (without ordering online and waiting, incompatible with medical urgency), and comparatively cheap.

I had also used an old stand-by, Avène Cicalfate (a similar repairing soother with zinc, copper, etc.), sample tubes from doctor: different results, none of the immediate soothing relief (actually, no soothing), and no feeling of moistened calm comfort afterwards. I'd met Cicalfate before as I used Avène a lot in the past, back in the day when they and their parent-company were a better ethical choice than La Roche-Posay and theirs.

Also used previously in Dire Skin Circumstances, but not on this kind of skin condition just on very dry skin, irritation, eczema: A-Derma Epithéliale A.H., Skin Cream, and Exoméga; Allergenics cream and ointment; Aquaphor; SDM "Life" brand knock-off of Aveeno; Avène crème pour peaux intolérantes, Tolérance extrême, Trixéra, Xeracalm; CeraVe (something in both the lotion and cream bug my skin though); various things from Derma E, E45, Elave, Eucerin; Desert Essence, Hugo, Weleda and other baby ranges (for thin fragile skin issues); and a bunch of other emollient and barrier repair creams and balms, mostly own-brand or pharmacy compounded stuff (look in any drugstore/chemist's, first aid section, bottom shelf).

There are other common readily-available products that might work as well or at least be worth a try, but that I've not used or not in ages (ex. Cetaphil) because other ingredients in them irritate my skin.

ETHICS

Non-insulting, non-patronising, clear label and information. This is a functional product so I guess it wouldn't make much sense to waste money on marketeering fluff to flog it to fools. It's more of a medical thing than cosmetic.

Respectable price. Costs around CAD12.00-18.00, 40 ml tube. In drugstores/pharmacies and online. Cheaper elsewhere. Available in a 100 ml tube in Europe, not seen here. I would not only buy this again but would buy the bigger tube!

While LRP does not test on animals (not least because of EU law), the parent company, L'Oréal, may do so or allow others to do so on their behalf elsewhere in the world (ex. China).

Recyclable packaging. Contains no ingredients that to the best of my knowledge are problematic for disposal, biodegradability, environmental effects. The company and their parent have been making efforts for sustainability at all stages from purchasing materials onwards, though of course over to the critical consumer on how far that goes, issues of greenwashing vs genuine change and long-term planning, and other niceties of ends/means or means/ends ethics and politics.

Aqua / water, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Butyrospermum parkii butter / shea butter, Panthenol, Butylene glycol, Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, Propanediol, Cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone, Tristearin, Zinc gluconate, Madecassoside, Manganese gluconate, Magnesium sulphate, Disodium edta, Copper gluconate, Acetylated glycol stearate, Polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, Sodium benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorhexidine digluconate, Ci 77891 / titanium dioxide.

on 3/10/2015 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Initially when I tried this product I wasn't impressed, but I think it only works its magic when you have a problem. After a flu and flying my skin was so dry and I tried everything, it was red and irritated. However, using this and the serum version, I was back to normal in two days. After using it had an immediate effect. It is excellent and I'm really beginning to use pharmacy type skincare over fancy cosmetic type moisturiser and they really work. Excellent when you need it!

Popular Treatments (Face)