La Roche Posay CICAPLAST BAUME B5 (Multi-purpose/soothing repairing balm)

4.6

AQUA / WATER HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE DIMETHICONE GLYCERIN BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII BUTTER / SHEA BUTTER PANTHENOL BUTYLENE GLYCOL ALUMINUM STARCH OCTENYLSUCCINATE PROPANEDIOL CETYL PEG/PPG-10/1 DIMETHICONE TRISTEARIN ZINC GLUCONATE MADECASSOSIDE MANGANESE GLUCONATE MAGNESIUM SULFATE DISODIUM EDTA COPPER GLUCONATE ACETYLATED GLYCOL STEARATE POLYGLYCERYL-4 ISOSTEARATE SODIUM BENZOATE PHENOXYETHANOL CHLORHEXIDINE DIGLUCONATE CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE

on 3/28/2015 7:44:00 PM

Amazing if your going through accutane treatment and have really dry skin! This helped me a lot!

on 3/26/2015 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

DESCRIPTION

A barrier-repair balm. A simple moisturiser. An amazing magic miracle marvellous godsend.

In a plastic flip-top tube. Simple design, nice clear fonts, no frou-frou or outrageous verbiage; nothing triggering aesthetic, semantic, or rhetorical allergies.

The contents: Bland, basic, unscented, fairly thick whiteish-coloured cream/balm. Spreads easily on skin, which is useful if your skin is in such a dire state that you can't rub or massage it, only pat gently.

Key functional stuff:
---blandness (wate, shea butter, glycerin, panthenol)
---marvellousness (water (again), zinc gluconate, copper gluconate, magnesium sulphate, madecassoside).

WHY?

I have been using Cicaplast Baume for nearly a week, as a barrier repair cream.

Skin here: in a normal state it is dry, thin/fragile, reactive, irritable, with occasional eczema.

At the beginning of this month, this skin was hit by what I thought was just the usual seasonal allergies. Turned out (once I got around to admitting this was worse than mere allergies and went to the doctor) there was also a skin staph infection. The result was red, inflamed, rashy, with raised things that looked spotty or cysty; very sensitive to the touch. Puffy eyes, watering, part-closed when the allergic end of things was severe. Any water on my face hurt: eyes watering, washing my face, even--at its worst--rain.

It is possible that there may be other things going on with my skin, incouding rosacea. I got the tip to use this balm (or at least start looking at La Roche-Posay) from a combination of doctor #2's list of Approved Unguents and MUA, with massive thanks to some of the most helpful super-star MUAers who have rosacea, especially Lizzy28 and sebderminformation.

Also good (maybe even better, and good around eyes): LRP Tolériane Ultra.

Other things used: oral antihistamines, 3-day course of heavy oral antibiotics, bland syndet liquid cleanser, Metrogel topical 1% magic potion, then this stuff applied once the Metrogel has sunk in and dried. (Update 2015-03-29: Had to stop the Metrogel with irritation by it. All else here stands.) LRP Tolériane Ultra in the eye area and on other skin unaffected by The Grot. Then a physical sunscreen.

My face is much better. I can, for example, go outside in the rain without wanting to claw my face off. When you live in a temperate rainforest climate, that's pretty important for everyday life. My skin is generally soothed and feels pretty normal.

I've also been using the Baume on my hands, which feel better and may be less grotty, crackly, etc.

Will report back if any changes occur.

COMPARISONS

Other barrier-repair creams may well work as well; this one happened to be well-recommended on MUA and beauté-test.com, is readily-available immediately (without ordering online and waiting, incompatible with medical urgency), and comparatively cheap.

I had also used an old stand-by, Avène Cicalfate (a similar repairing soother with zinc, copper, etc.), sample tubes from doctor: different results, none of the immediate soothing relief (actually, no soothing), and no feeling of moistened calm comfort afterwards. I'd met Cicalfate before as I used Avène a lot in the past, back in the day when they and their parent-company were a better ethical choice than La Roche-Posay and theirs.

Also used previously in Dire Skin Circumstances, but not on this kind of skin condition just on very dry skin, irritation, eczema: A-Derma Epithéliale A.H., Skin Cream, and Exoméga; Allergenics cream and ointment; Aquaphor; SDM "Life" brand knock-off of Aveeno; Avène crème pour peaux intolérantes, Tolérance extrême, Trixéra, Xeracalm; CeraVe (something in both the lotion and cream bug my skin though); various things from Derma E, E45, Elave, Eucerin; Desert Essence, Hugo, Weleda and other baby ranges (for thin fragile skin issues); and a bunch of other emollient and barrier repair creams and balms, mostly own-brand or pharmacy compounded stuff (look in any drugstore/chemist's, first aid section, bottom shelf).

There are other common readily-available products that might work as well or at least be worth a try, but that I've not used or not in ages (ex. Cetaphil) because other ingredients in them irritate my skin.

ETHICS

Non-insulting, non-patronising, clear label and information. This is a functional product so I guess it wouldn't make much sense to waste money on marketeering fluff to flog it to fools. It's more of a medical thing than cosmetic.

Respectable price. Costs around CAD12.00-18.00, 40 ml tube. In drugstores/pharmacies and online. Cheaper elsewhere. Available in a 100 ml tube in Europe, not seen here. I would not only buy this again but would buy the bigger tube!

While LRP does not test on animals (not least because of EU law), the parent company, L'Oréal, may do so or allow others to do so on their behalf elsewhere in the world (ex. China).

Recyclable packaging. Contains no ingredients that to the best of my knowledge are problematic for disposal, biodegradability, environmental effects. The company and their parent have been making efforts for sustainability at all stages from purchasing materials onwards, though of course over to the critical consumer on how far that goes, issues of greenwashing vs genuine change and long-term planning, and other niceties of ends/means or means/ends ethics and politics.

Aqua / water, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Butyrospermum parkii butter / shea butter, Panthenol, Butylene glycol, Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, Propanediol, Cetyl peg/ppg-10/1 dimethicone, Tristearin, Zinc gluconate, Madecassoside, Manganese gluconate, Magnesium sulphate, Disodium edta, Copper gluconate, Acetylated glycol stearate, Polyglyceryl-4 isostearate, Sodium benzoate, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorhexidine digluconate, Ci 77891 / titanium dioxide.

on 3/10/2015 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Initially when I tried this product I wasn't impressed, but I think it only works its magic when you have a problem. After a flu and flying my skin was so dry and I tried everything, it was red and irritated. However, using this and the serum version, I was back to normal in two days. After using it had an immediate effect. It is excellent and I'm really beginning to use pharmacy type skincare over fancy cosmetic type moisturiser and they really work. Excellent when you need it!

on 3/7/2015 1:14:00 PM

When I first got this I thought it was brilliant. It really helped when my skin was irritated or feeling a bit sore and definitely helped when I had a flare up of psoriasis. I found I could even use it on my face without any adverse affects. However, the last couple of times I've used this that hasn't been the case and my skin has reacted really badly.

I had a very sore patch of skin on my cheek recently and whereas before this would have helped to calm it down, this time it just made it worse. Much worse. In fact, so much worse that I had to take an antihistamine to reduce the red, swollen, hot and angry mess my cheek had become.

I'm so disappointed because now I don't trust using it on my psoriasis any more as I'm worried about the kind of reaction I'm going to have. And I definitely wouldn't use it on my face again. I'm really sad about this cream as it had so much potential, but looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board and find something else.

on 2/14/2015 6:14:00 AM

This stuff is saving my skin and I wouldn't have found it without all of you! My skin is turning into a flaky, itchy, dry mess, while still oily in spots. We're in the dead of a cold, windy Canadian winter right now. Nothing else was working so I picked this up. I'm using it as the final step of my skincare routine. I love the method of warming in my hands and pressing, not rubbing, into my skin. At first, my skin looks like an oil slick but it absorbs within 10 minutes. I layer some products at night and this goes nicely over it as a final step. In the day, I sometimes use this after my usual routine (toner, antioxidant cream, sunblock) but before applying makeup and my makeup still wears really well.
My skin is more hydrated and this is taking redness and irritation away. It feels SO good on, like my skin feels so calm, soft and happy. I'm no skin care expect but LRP lists the following as active ingredients in the product: [Madecassoside] + [Copper - Zinc – Manganese]• Soothing of dry, irritated areas [5% Panthenol] • Skin protection. it also claims to have antibacterial properties.
I'm very breakout prone and this doesn't seem to cause any problems. I don't detect any scent. For the price, less than $20, I'm really really pleased.
Update: This really healed my moisture barrier and after a couple of weeks I don't have to use it regularly although am still applying outside of my oily spots some of the time. I do dab it on healing pimples and in the morning I'm surprised that they look much less red.

on 12/27/2014 2:10:00 AM

Edit: One month later, B5 has proven to be even better than I thought it was when I first reviewed it here. It's not too heavy to use it daily, and even when I put a lot of it on my face and/or body, my skin seems to just drink it all up. I now use it under makeup with no problems whatsoever. And I do think one of the previous reviewers was right in saying that it helps with minor breakouts a great deal. This is a truly fantastic product. I might switch back to Cicaplast in Summer, but right now my skin is loving this. If you get a big one(100ml), you can easily get great skin from head to toe with not much money at all!

I have been a faithful user of Cicaplast as my moisturizer for a few years now. I have such sensitive skin that my skincare routine is extremely short and simple. (As few items as possible, on a good day I can count all the products I use with the fingers on my right hand, including makeup.) And almost everything I use on my face are from La Roche Posey. In my personal opinion, they have safe, gentle, effective, and affordable products. Admittedly I haven't tried all of their products, but the ones I do try and use are all very satisfying. (God, I hope I don't sound like their spokesperson or something.) I often wish I had known and used their products since my teenage years, I think my life might have been somehow improved if that were the case.

Anyway, due to the weather and heater and my own stupidity (which is enormous and boundless, apparently), my facial skin has been really dry and itchy. It hasn't really flaked yet, but it's tight and uncomfortable and there are visible dry patches. I even tried putting a really thick layer of Cicaplast as a kind of masque in my bath, it did sooth my skin a bit, but the results didn't last. When I started feeling like I was having chicken pox again with all the itching and temptation to scratch (and leave scars, grr....), I asked my loving boyfriend to get me both Cicaplast and Cicaplast B5 on his way home. The whole time through dinner I was literally squirming like a worm because I wanted to scratch my face so badly, especially around my eyes, it was so dry that it sometimes hurt when I blinked.

I put some on my whole face after dinner, the cream came out of the tube completely white and a bit thick, the texture is very different from the original Cicaplast, which is a clear gel. It went on my face quite heavily but sinked in really really fast. Just like Cicaplast, it can hurt a little when you first apply it on the really dry or affected areas. But the soothing sensation follows immediately after, and this time it lasted enough for me to get a good night's sleep. I thought it had a scent that Cicaplast doesn't have, but it's supposed to be fragrance-free, anyway the scent is by no means strong or offensive. I actually told my boyfriend that it smelt nice when I first poured it unto my palm. It's not some quick magic worker, but I woke up this morning with much better looking complexion and zero itching sensation. I put a lot of it around my eyes which the instructions suggest against, but I always put Cicaplast around my eyes with no problems, and my eyes are so dry that I did it anyway, and it certainly did help with the skin around my eye area a great deal without any bad reactions. (Hello again, blinking and batting eyelashes!) It leaves a visible white cast on my lips overnight, but not my face.

I prefer the packaging of Cicaplast, but this one is cheaper. I think B5 is more like an emergency solution for me, it would be quite heavy to use it daily, but I am really glad I bought it on the first sign of skin discomfort and it did what it claimed to do. So yes, I will use it again and recommend it to people who are suffering from extremely dry skin. And hey look, it's got shea butter in it! And no mineral oil!

Currently I have extra dry, cystic acne prone skin. This is one of my favourite, repurchased products that I recommend to all my clients and friends.

As well as the claims - it leaves a beautiful bouncy glow to the skin and is amazing to pop on top of a serum or another moisturizer.

It heals all of my dryness, the texture from my retinol A and acne medication (Tactuo gel) and speed heals any cystic acne or other issues my skin may have.

The price point and accessibility is fab, as well.

I highly, highly recommend this and trust the rest of the La Roche Posay line.

on 10/21/2014 7:15:00 PM

I have such ridiculously sensitive skin. I have rosacea, scent allergies, normal allergies, and at 44 I still get acne. Finding a product that does not make any of that act up is very difficult. One of the hardest things about finding good skin care products is that my skin hates silicone, which gives me acne. Silicone is in darned near every skin care product. Fortunately, this one is silicone free. It is also perfume free, another ingredient I have to avoid.

This cream is thicker than I would normally like, but it absorbs quickly and leave my skin very moisturized. What I like about it most is that it is very soothing after using retinoids or other exfoliators and helps prevent the flaking that I used to get from using them. I only use it at night as it is too thick for use under make up. However, I also have oily skin so I don't usually use moisturizer under make up anyway.

This doesn't have active ingredients to target any of my other skin concerns: rosacea, acne, wrinkles. However, I have serums and such for that. What I really needed in my routine was a soothing moisturizer and this does the job perfectly.

on 10/14/2014 3:43:00 PM

Oh oh it seems I am the only person that doesn't like this balm! It is not really that I don't like it, but I think it doesn't like me. It makes my skin itch wherever I put! I don't know which ingredient is to blame but is a shame it didn't work for me as I have a wound I am trying to ''repair''.

on 10/10/2014 6:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I have rosacea dry skin and bought this cream after having some persistent flaky patches on my face. The first time I used this it made my skin flake WHILST I was applying - weird! After I tried applying over moistuiser/oil to lock it in, and it still came out drier than had I left it at just the moisturiser alone. It didn't irritate my skin, but didn't improve it either. Disappointed after all the rave reviews.

Popular Treatments (Face)