July 25, 2014 | 1462 users online

Blush - Chanel - Joues Contraste in Notorious

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had never owned a true contouring product before, I just used my matte Chocolate powder from Too Faced. BUT that was too warm and too pigmented, so I decided to buy something else. I saw this on youtube, and instantly fell in love with the cool color. I thought, "holy crap, that shade looks like the color of bone! Cool!" Apparently this was used on the runway for Chanel's winter collection as a contour on the models, and they decided to release this for a limited time in 2012. It was torn off the shelves almost instantly, and youtube gurus and bloggers raved about it, and people lost their marbles when it wasn't available anymore.

I tend to be all "go big or go home" in terms on cosmetics, but this was sold out everywhere and was never available in my country, so I decided to find something less expensive. It went for 70 - 85 dollars on evilbay, and I just could not justify it. Some sellers are vultures, I tell you. But I had this in the back of my head every time I did my makeup, it was almost like a chant in the back of my head! *swipe of blush* - NOTORIOUS! *Added highlighter* - NOTORIOUS! "But it's so expensive!" One day I entered ebay drunk, and the damage was easily done... Do I regret it though?

Heck no! Now, I am a pale girl and one would think this would make me look like a corpse, but this stuff just works. Why? Because the color and the consistency and the pigmentation is just so perfectly balanced. The color is like I said, the perfect bone shade. You know when people draw cheekbones or corpses for that matter, the hollow shade that mimics the shadow under the bone tend to be a cold, grey-ish color with a lilac undertone? Yup, this is it in a blush form. The formula is baked and has a slight sheen, but not enough sheen to visibly reflect the light. I guess that would defeat the purpose, but the satin sheen was a smart choice, because it's more forgiving on the skin than a matte formula would be. Like I said, the balance makes this product so great. Very finely milled off course, so it goes on smoothly and blends like a dream. The pigmentation is just right - not too much, not too little. I apply this with a smaller brush to target the deepest part of where I contour, then I blend it out with a bigger brush. I apply the most underneath my cheekbones, then some on my temples, then a bit to enhance my jawbone. I just look sharper and more defined, mature. I like the effect it gives my face a lot.

It you feel like this makes you look ashy, then apply a warmer shade of bronzer/contour powder to your brush of choice, and blend this into the notorious. That way you keep the shade, but make it less cool.

All in all, I can not live without this product, and like so many other people I find it almost concerning that it's not available anymore. This is not your typical consumers product with it's mildly off putting lilac/grey shade, but being Chanel, people just knew that this would work. So why is there no shameless, cheaper dupe for it yet? Hello drugstore brands! We seek your guidance!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by voodoodolly330

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Before Chanel Notorious, my favourite contouring product is Kevyn Aucoin's sculpting powder, it's a very nice product but still shows a little bit too bronzy on my skin. While Notorious is a mushroom/taupe colour which mimic the shadow on the face perfectly, very natural, subtle (unless you are very heavy-handed), but effective.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I am giving this a 4 based off of first impressions so that I can get this out ASAP since it is hard to find. The color is exactly as you see it online and yes it looks like a straight up eyeshadow. The difference between this and say an actual eyeshadow would be the texture and size. It is strangely pigmented but soft enough to blend over the face or eyes. Most eyeshadows that may be similar in color probably may not have the appropriate texture to contour cheeks with. The size suits most contour brushes like a MAC 186 or MAC 109 or angle brushes from Sigma, etc. Eyeshadows can be quite small, which not only can be difficult to collect from with larger brushes but it will likely get used up quicker. I of course could be wrong because I do not know the options out there in this color/texture range but I imagine it is not vast. The price is steep and the inventory is way too limited which sucks. I found mine at a local Saks a few days ago and could not find it anywhere else because it sold out months ago. Hopefully, you can still find it out there and I also hope and think that other companies might get on board with this "trend" or as some say "game changer" because it is not brown like other contour colors. On me, ~NC20, it looks a little purple but when I blend la lot and apply in layers it does look nice and natural. My boyfriend actually noticed it and said that he "sees definition/a line" under my cheekbones (but my cheeks are fat lol, I said that not him). It gets a four for now because it is not extremely easy to use right off the bat. I will update.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2013 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Hawko

I finally found it, all were sold out in dept. store. I went to the Chanel boutique and they had 20 still in stock. I bought 2, just in case.
Is it a good product for contour, YES; I found it better than using a matte brownish bonzer.
Does it worth the $45 price tag, NO.
I can search for a mushroom/grey/beige eye- shadow and I am sure it will do the job just as good.
But I did not regret the purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2012 7:44:00 PM More reviews by SweetNightmares

I am an NC40 gal... & yes, even I still have to use a LIGHT hand when applying this! It is completely different than what I currently own (Guerlain 4 seasons) & I truly am in love with it. It seriously chisels in your cheekbones & makes the jawline beautifully pronounced. I wish I could get my hands on a backup but I don't need to use much at all for an application so I'm sure I'll have it for awhile. Lovely, amazing, downright perfect contouring product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 5:48:00 AM More reviews by ns4487

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

*shakes fist* WHY CHANEL, WHY MAKE THIS LE?! I have already bought 2 of these, and am looking for a third one. It quite simply is the most beautiful contouring powder I have come across. I am NC15 and did not make a habit of contouring as I was unable to find one that worked well with my skintone. Bronzers generally looked dirty or muddy on me. When Chanel brought this product out, I literally turned to my husband and said 'why has no-one done something like this before? shadows are grey, not brown...it makes perfect sense to bring out a greyed contouring powder!' Once I tried it, I was in love. It perfectly replicates a shadow in the hollow of my cheek and the slight shimmer that is in the pan does not translate to my face. I find it quite sheer but easily buildable. I really hope Chanel realises that this is a gamechanger and makes it permanent, although no doubt other brands will now release similar products. If you are pale and bronzer contours have not worked for you in the past, I urge you to try this if you can still get your hands on it. I don't think it will be as spectacular on darker skintones though. This is my 'product of 2012' - love love love it!

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2012 6:36:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

When i heard people talking about Notorious, i had to look, but i wasn't going to buy this very expensive powder. Then i saw photos, and how could i resist a taupe-grey contour powder! ...you see, i like unusual, atypical makeup colors.
I didn't get to see it in real life, but i still rushed to order it from chanel.com, since it was already sold out at all the department stores in my state. I was on tenterhooks waiting for it to arrive. What was it going to be like?
First, the packaging is luxurious - not quite as luxurious as Guerlain, but, then, Chanel is less expensive than Guerlain. I opened the shipping package and nestled inside was a medium sized black cloth bag. Inside was a shiny black box. Inside the box was a small velvety cloth bag. And inside that was the shiny black plastic compact with the Chanel logo.
The compact is not terribly large. Inside the lid is a convenient mirror. The dome of powder fills only about 60%, the other 40% holds a tiny, natural hair brush. I was a bit disappointed at how small the powder was.
Then came the moment of truth - applying Notorious. Using my own, easier to manage brush, i put it on over my liquid foundation - it didn't blend as well as i would have liked. Using a large, dense, flat headed brush i buffed it out. Still imperfect, but nonetheless i was really liking the basic look.
I learned one lesson: first powder all over a moisturizing foundation, before applying Notorious, or give that foundation plenty of time to set. That way it will have a more natural look.
The powder is a small dome of taupe-grey with a hint of mauve. It appears to have some shimmer, but it is not shimmery, rather it provides luminosity. The powder is quite fine and silky. A little is all you really need, but if you want a more intense color, it is definitely buildable.
Final impression: Notorious is an amazing neutral contour. Many contour products are brown, "bronzy", or even orange-y. Notorious is the color of a shadow. I love it.
I'd buy it again, but it's Limited Edition and sadly sold out (and, no, i will not give in to insane evilBay prices)

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by fikins123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love a contour powder and as soon as I read the reviews on here I knew I had to try it and boy am I glad that I did! This is the most complimentary contouring powder I have ever owned, it is so easy to use and easy to blend! After using for a week I went and stocked up on 2 more pots due to it being Ltd Edition!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2012 6:04:00 PM More reviews by Serena94

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I read about this product on several blogs and ordered it almost as a joke. In photos, the product looks so muddy - you can't actually believe a person would intentionally apply it to her face! But these bloggers had to be right about something. Notorious is indeed a muddy gray-brown with a slight sheen - not shimmer, just iridescence. It comes in an excellent, lightweight package with mini-brush (which works okay in a pinch, but it's better to have your own brush). Very classy Chanel packaging with cloth bag. The powder is not as densely-packed as most blushes - when you tap your brush on it, some of the powder tends to swirl in the air. So the trick is to use a VERY light hand -- very, very light, and then you blend like crazy. Once you do, the result is sort of amazing. Your face does look more sculpted. I tried it along the sides of my nose, and that also looked excellent. This product is great for nights out and.. so key... for photos!! If you feel as though your face needs more definition, especially in important photographs (wedding, etc.), this is a must have. I'm glad I listened to the bloggers!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 2:24:00 PM More reviews by Zacherley

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I seem to be darker skinned toned than the previously reviewers, but still this worked wonders on crafting cheekbones, using it as an eyeshadow and for a brow color. Anyplace where you would want shadows--also very good for firming up the jawline. I have to agree with one of the previously reviewers, this really thins up the face if you tend to add the weight on there--an instant 5 to 7 pd weight loss!

Just have to really have to take a moment or two to blend, blend, blend. Quite a wonderful product.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No