Revlon Color Stay Ultimate Suede Lipstick

2.7

Isohexadecane, Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Isododecane, Hydrogenated polyisobutene, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butyrospermum Parkii, Pentaerythrityl tetraethylhexanoate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate, Palmitic Acid, Methicone, Benzoic Acid, BHT, limonene, silica, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides,Yellow 5 Al Lake, CI 15985, CI 15850, CI45380, CI 17200, CI 42090, CI 75470, CI 45370, CI 45410

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have Muse. This is a very longlasting formula and I don't have a lot of issues with dryness of the formula that many people say about it. Muse is a very cool-toned pink that can be layered. It almost matches my liptone, but I have a very bright lipcolor. It can be worn sheered or totally built up to a barbie car pink, but it is not bubblegummy, it just somehow reads as natural on me. This is flattering on many people, so long as your UNDERTONE is pretty much on the cool side. Many different skintone shades can pull this off, though from the very fair to the very dark.

I have this in Couture and Finale, and while I love the colours and how they apply initially, those are literally the only good things about this product. Although they apply really smoothly, they kind of set after several minutes to become incredibly tacky and drying. It just isn't comfortable at all.

This on its own wouldn't bother me that much if it actually lived up to its claim and was truly long wearing, but I found that if you happen to press your lips together at any point, the colour kind of gets 'lifted' off by the product on your other lip and ends up in little lumps and bare patches everywhere. Kind of like how you can sometimes use the label to 'stick off' any remaining sticky bits after you peel it off. A thick coat of lip balm or gloss helps, but I feel like that just defeats the purpose of the suede finish or the one step long lasting lip colour thing.

I don't recommend these at all unless there's just one colour you need to have. I'm still using these just because they're there and makeup in Australia is ridiculously overpriced and I don't want to just throw it out, but I find myself checking my lips every several minutes and feeling incredibly self conscious and always wondering if it's just become super patchy. I also don't feel like you can just easily touch it up, because it leaves these little clumps you need to wipe away first before you reapply (then the same thing will happen anyway and you're just going to have to reapply again).

I actually wore this to a meeting with my supervisor, and only realised I had a patchy, bare ring on the inside of my lips after I was taking the elevator back down. Super embarrassing!

on 5/20/2015 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Motivated to find a less expensive lipstick than my current Estee Lauder, I colour-matched my Lauder with the Revlon ColorStay in Iconic. It is my habit to apply Nivea Hydrocare lipbalm (a rich, very moisturising balm), under lipstick.

The phenomenal dryness of the Revlon ColorStay greedily neutalised the moistness of my lips, returning a nubbly texture that no amount of subsequent damage control could save.

I wish I had read the reviews here, first! Several reviewers recommend exfoliating lips like fury (which I will *definitely* try!).

Revlon being such an icon company, how can they market a rubbish product?

Fail! 👎🏽

on 3/11/2015 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Oh god, how do I begin? First, I would give this a zero rating if I could. This is, by far, the very worst lipstick I have ever had and I am not at all hard to please. I have a Laval lipstick that cost me 1 pound and I love that! This applies creamy, and after a few minutes it turns to a waxy, sticky, patchy, horrible consistency. It feels incredibly gross and sticky on the lips. If I rub my lips just a tiny bit together it turns to a patchy mess. The consistency seems that of an extremely old expired lipstick. Awful, awful, awful. I'm taking it back and I will insist I get it swiped for something else.

Edit: Ok, I changed my mind about this after I decided to make it work since I am a little embarrassed to take it back and I do like the shade (socialite) . I will still leave it a one rating tough since it pissed me off so bad in the beginning.
I was so confused how can this be so bad because I wasn't used to "long wearing" products.
This IS longwearing. How to make it work:
- exfoliate lips with wet cloth
- put a non-petrolatum lip balm or regular face moisturizer on the lips. If any excess lipbalm is on your lips, gently wipe it off . Your lips need to be moisturized but not have any excess product on .
- line your lips
- put this on generously layering it . after you applied the first layer like you normally do, apply another layer while holding your lips in "resting" position, like you aren't actually applying lipstick. this is to "fill" any wrinkles with product . I hope I made myself understood.
- let in dry without rubbing your lips together at all. Treat your lips like you have nail polish on them it that makes sense.
-if your lips still look wrinkly put a clear lipgloss over.

Yeah it's a lot of work and still think the product is rubbish but it can be made to work.

on 2/19/2015 9:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I'm a recent fan of Revlon products and wearing lipstick and fell inlove with Ultimate Suede after watching the Olivia Wilde ads. I got this in Muse which is a beautiful pink color. The packaging is sleek and clear plastic so you can see exactly what you're getting. It's not bulky so perfect for purses. It's easy to apply,glides smoothly and lives up to it's name,it feels moisturising and luxurious,like suede. However,after an hour or so, it got tacky and dried out. I even tried a gloss to keep it in place but when that wears out,the lipstick is very unsightly. Think I shall stick to Superlustrous lipstick.

on 2/8/2015 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm not sure why there's so many bad reviews....I have been on the lookout for a longwearing, transfer proof lip color for the longest time, because I am getting married in May. I want something transfer proof so I don't get it all over my husband, and long wearing because duh, I don't want to have to constantly reapply my lip color on my wedding day!! I have this in 4 different colors, ranging from a dark berry to pale pink, and they all are transfer proof for me!! No matter how many times I kiss my hand or my fiance, it does not leave a trace of color! It glides on the lips smoothly, and does not show every crack and line like most long wearing lipcolors do. It goes on smoothly at first, and then it will dry after a while, becoming transfer proof and pretty much stain like. You cant really rub your lips together easily, because it makes your lips slightly tacky, but I don't mind that because of how long wearing it is. I can eat and drink in this and nothing will rub off or fade, it looks the same! It's not moisturizing and somewhat drying but it does not flake off or peel or anything, and I don't mind the slight dryness of it because you can always apply lip balm/gloss over it. For how long wearing it is I will gladly take my lips being slightly dry! I've had this on for 8+ hours and not needed to reapply, I just love it! And the good thing about this is that when you DO reapply, it doesn't look gloopy or chunky or anything, like other long wearing lip stains can do (cough cough Rimmel Provocalips, Sephora Rouge Infusion Lip Stain...) it goes on perfectly like the first coat! There's no flavor or scent, and the color payoff is great. I'm so glad I have found my wedding lip color!!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really like it. It's nice and smooth. It can be drying, but with a nice lip balm, it's just wonderful.

on 2/4/2015 11:29:00 PM

My main problem is the container. I bought two lipsticks of different shades and within a week one of the containers had cracks in the cap, and it was not mistreated. Now the cap comes off in my handbag, so that's a bit of a disaster. Also the casing is just a little too long, so they don't fit in my lipstick holders (those colourful little Asian ones with a stud on the side and a little mirror inside) so now I have to carry the empty lipstick holders or a separate mirror. The lipstick itself is quite dry.

This is a little drugstore gem I found when I lost my good lipstick. I typically am not a fan of red lipstick because it tends to be too bright (kill me) or too dark to the point where I can't wear it on a day to day basis. I haven't found another lipstick, Chanel, or Mac or whatever that has this perfect of a shade. Also the price is definitely great. My only thing is that this lipstick is extremeellyy drying and during the winter my poor lips don't need that along with the harsh wind so EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE EXFOLIATE. It stays on at full vibrancy for a good couple of hours but I like to reapply once a day just to be safe. You can't expect too much of the packaging because it is walgreens material and the plastic cap doesn't always stay on but it's bearable. Overall I will come back for more until I find something with this beautiful a shade and price.

on 2/1/2015 3:37:00 PM

I'm reviewing #055 "Iconic"
The good:
No discernible fragrance - I usually think of Revlon as highly stinky.
I like that you can put this on full strength and it doesn't look overly strong.
The formula is good for covering my uneven lip line without using a separate liner.
but...
I'm fair and yellow (NC 15) and this color is good but not great on me. The base color is a bright-ish neutral pink but the gold flecks push this too warm to be totally flattering on me.
The dealbreaker is the wear: after an hour (no eating or drinking) the color has gone patchy and my lips feel and look dry.
Also the glitter is too chunky for me - I prefer a finer shimmer.

Popular Lipsticks