E.L.F. California

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

Mica, Talc, Bismuth Oxychloride, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Paraffinum Liquidum (mineral oil), Dimethicone, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491 , CI 77492 , CI 77499), Ultramarine Violet (CI 77077), Manganese Violet (CI 77742), Ferric Ferrocyanide (CI 77510), Tin Oxide (CI 77861), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Red No.40 Lake (CI 16035), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090).

on 10/7/2013 2:24:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I wasn't expecting much from that palette and I'm pleasantly surprised! The colors are pretty pigmented and metallic and they're easy to blend.

The thing is with this is that this should really be seen as 10 singles as opposed to a palette you can use to create a lot of looks. Those shadows can become very muddy if you mix many shades together. I really prefer to either use the dark shades on their own as a smokey eye and the pale shade as a lid color with a matte eyeshadow in the crease. The white shade is the only one that is very poorly pigmented.

I still gave it 4 stars because I think this is still very nice. I did some great looks with the darker shades on their own.

on 5/8/2013 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Here is the thing, I really absolutely HATE glitter, especially if its the real chunky thing. I prefer a sheen and no glitter at all (not even the smallest) in my shadows. It just annoys me. ;)

So....I bought this pallett a few days ago and swatched it today, the colours are amazing, very opaque (especially when used wet) and very neutral and overall usable..... if it wouldn't be for the chunky glitter parts I would never use anything else. Especially because they can be easily used with fingers, wich I like a lot. There is Dimethicone in them so they blend very well and probably won't crease at all.

But as I said, they are just too sparkly for my taste, if you like that kind of thing, you should absolutely go ahead and buy it.

As an alternative I can reccomend the baked blushes, bronzers and solo baked eyeshadows, lot of sheen in them but no glitter at all in the bronzer and only very little in the others. It's just a shame that the color range isn't very big there.

(Sorry for my poor english, I am from germany ;) )

on 9/20/2012 12:40:00 PM

I'm such a sucker when ELF launches new products. I couldn't resist picking this up with my last order. I was a bit disappointed when my palette came with one of the eyeshadows broken. The dome of the light purple (bottom row, first color on the right) was completely severed. Not really a big deal b/c I don't wear purples too often, but still a bit annoying.

I thought these swatched pretty nice when dry but there is definately a lot of glitter. I have been wearing this palette for about a week and I really do enjoy it. There are a couple peachy/pink shimmery colors that could be used as 'everyday' lid colors for a brightening, neutral look. There's also 4 or so darker brown colors that are right up my alley. I do a medium brown 'smokey' eye everyday for work.

I used this palette again today and wore the shadow dry over primer and fyr pixie epoxy. The shimmer/glitter really popped and the pigmentation is great.

I've had no issues with creasing whatsoever either. I'm really impressed with the quality of this palette and will be picking up the NYC version with my next order.

The only reason for the 4-rating is because there is so much glitter.

on 9/18/2012 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a really pretty palette that I had high hopes for. As part of E.L.F.'s studio line, it looked relatively luxe and high quality. It seemed to be a dupe for a Sephora baked eyeshadow palette, at a fraction of the price. It looked so pretty on the website that I decided, what the hell; I purchased it despite my previously negative experiences with ELF eyeshadows.

The eyeshadows themselves are nearly colorless (maybe 4/10, when swatched or applied dry. They are just little pools of sparkle. While some people like that look, it wasn't what I was expecting or going for.

Foiled, I would give color payoff a 6.5/10. They are still incredibly sparkly (the sparkliest eyeshadows I've ever seen coming from a western brand) though, so I would caution if you don't want to emphasize eyelid texture. There is also some fallout. I haven't tried it over a primer yet.

All in all, they are usable, and a good value for someone just starting out in makeup. It's a lot nicer IMO than ELF eyeshadows I've tried before, and they sure are pretty to look at. But I think I'm going to give them away to my friend who is just starting out with makeup. I have much better stuff in my collection. I've added a picture of them swatched on my arm, foiled (for reference, I'm a MAC NC 35 with very golden tones).