Burt's Bees Super Shiny with Mango

3.4

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 4/24/2015 4:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

To make this review more useful, I am adding a disclaimer: This Is Not the Shampoo For Everyone. Or the conditioner for everyone. I personally have very thick, very coarse, naturally curly hair - basically, the driest, most textured texture possible on a white girl. When I wear my hair "natural," I kind of look like the little girl in the movie Brave (minus the bright red hair). I add 2-3 tablespoons of liquid oil (usually olive or grapeseed) to every new bottle of conditioner I buy, then put coconut oil in my ends on top of that, and still only need to wash my hair every 4th day. I've tried shampoos and conditioners at every price point, from $2/bottle Suave to $28/small bottle Aveda, all with the same so-so results. So, I finally decided that if nothing was going to make me happy, I might as well try to save some money by buying cheaper brands - and maybe do the environment some good by buying more natural, biodegradable formulas, too. I did not have high expectations for Burt's Bees whatsoever...I don't love their other products, and the sulfate-free shampoos I've used in the past left my hair a brittle, waxy, tangly mess. After a very short "adjustment phase" my hair adapted to the non-stripping quality of the shampoo and I am back to washing my hair every 4th day. My hair gets sufficiently clean and rinses well. I don't use a ton of product in my hair other than coconut oil, so I am not sure how well it would remove build-up or residues. The conditioner isn't as heavy/greasy as I expected, but it does moisturize my hair quite well, even without me adding extra oil! Specifically, I chose not to add any more oil to the conditioner because there is a natural oil listed as like the 3rd ingredient, and it is enough to do the job. I stuck with the mango scent for both products and it smells amazing - more like orange than mango, but still very fresh and clean. I definitely plan to repurchase in the future - this is the first hair product I've been genuinely satisfied with in a very long time!

on 3/22/2015 2:37:00 PM

This smells great, but made my hair feel coated, stiff, dry, and difficult to style. I do have dry, color-treated hair, so if you've got finer hair it may work for you. The hunt for a great cruelty-free shampoo continues!

on 2/3/2015 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this shampoo yesterday and I think it's awesome. It smells like mango puree; no added chemicals or synthetic smells. This is a sulfate-free shampoo so it will not dry your hair out like other shampoos. A lot of reviews on here say it does not lather but I did not have that problem...it lathers just fine. I have hair to my chin, though. I probably wouldn't recommend this for people with super long hair.
*UPDATE* I guess I spoke too soon...although it does smell wonderful, only hours after washing my hair with this, my hair was greasy enough to fry an egg in it. You might say that's because it's sulfate free, and I'm sure that's better for your hair, but unfortunately the cost is an oily scalp. I want my hair to actually feel clean, so if sulfates is what gets my hair clean, I'll take the sulfates. I will continue to use this as a body wash\shave gel so it doesn't go to waste, but I won't be using this on my hair again. I wouldn't recommend unless you don't mind having greasy, smelly hair...

on 1/12/2015 1:10:00 AM

This stuff is bloody awful, and I only realized halfway through the bottle, as the effect this leaves on your hair is very similar to when you move countries and blame the change in water type. I assumed for the last two months that my lank, unclean, tangled hair was down to Los Angeles County water, when it was in fact this stinky shampoo. Now, I do love many Burt's Bees products, but if you are looking for an all natural hair range, turn to Giovanni (I love the Tea Tree line) and don't look back. I can imagine this stuff maaaybe working on very overprocessed hair that needs only gentle washing once or twice weekly. Maybe. For me, I dumped out the rest and recycled the bottle. Sorry Burt!

on 12/18/2014 5:37:00 PM

This is one of the best shampoos I've ever used, and I've used cheap drugstore brands ($2/bottle like Fructis) all the way to expensive department store brands ($50/bottle like Shu Uemura).

The smell is a bit off-putting, a bit synthetic, and really citrusy...almost like gummy candies. It's a strong scent out of the bottle, but fades quickly after it gets washed out. I'm assuming because of the lack of SLS in the shampoo, the texture/consistency is quite thin... it's a bit on the runny side when pouring out, and I need a bit of extra product compared to other shampoos.

I hate it when shampoos make my hair feel like straw in the shower before conditioning. This product does not do that. I use this in conjunction with Evolvh conditioner (which is also all-natural), and my hair feels like SILK after washing. Keep in mind, I do use other high quality (Ouidad) leave-in/styling products, however, this shampoo has made a huge difference in my hair. It's soft and shiny, and this is with hard water (we do not have a water softener at home). My hair is easier to blow-dry, and I have not had any issues with grease (I've tried many Fekkai shampoos that weigh down my hair completely).

Couldn't be happier with this product, and the price is in the mid-range, I'd say. I will continue to repurchase this unless I find something even better!

on 9/11/2014 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Really great natural shampoo.
Cleanses well without any stripping of hair and scalp.
At first I thought it was going to be horrible because after shampooing and before conditoning, my hair felt sticky like the oils in it weren't washing out. However, after blow drying there was no oiliness or stickyness to be found.
Lathers pretty decently for a natural shampoo, though it always going to be less than sulfate laden shampoos.

My sensitive scalp was not irritated or dry.

I don't care much for the icky citrus/sour sherbet scent. If you're expecting this to smell like mango you'll be disappointed. The scent didn't linger for longer than a few hours.

Overall, this is a great natural shampoo and at AUD8.00 I will certainly be repurchasing.

The conditioner is not so great.
It's worth mentioning that neither the super shiny Mango shampoo or conditoner is anywhere near as good as the discontinued Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugarbeet versions.

EDIT: recurrent use of this shampoo really dried out my hair. It's ok when mixed with a more moisturizing shampoo but I can't be bothered. Minus one lippie.

on 7/7/2014 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Absolutely great, natural shampoo for my long hair! I love this and the smell is great as is the price>I am used to paying much more for shampoo but this does the job leaving my hair and scalp naurally clean with out harsh chemicals. The smell is divine!! Will repurchase :-)

on 1/11/2014 6:13:00 AM

I think this works well on thick hair - it gives my hair a certain stiffness that prevents frizz and means I need to use less, if any, product when shaping it. Wish I could purchase in a larger size - is a little expensive!

on 10/31/2013 10:54:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I adore this shampoo. It cleans my hair without stripping it and des in fact make it super shiny like the name suggest. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't help out with my frizzy curls problem. I still have the same amount of frizz that I had before I tried this shampoo. Other than that it does the job and smells amazing.

on 10/18/2013 4:47:00 PM

I found this shampoo was too expensive for how much I need to use in my hair. My hair is shoulder length or so but it took way too much product to clean my whole head. It smells delicious and natural. I am fairly allergic to most beauty products with scents or harsh chemicals but this one did not bother me and I really liked that. The only issue was the price in relation to product. Nobody wants to pay more for something when they don't have to!

Top Rated Burt's Bees Products