October 20, 2014 | 1115 users online

Mascara - Korres - Volcanic Minerals Volumizing Mascara Obsidian Black

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by Heather716

I have bought this mascara twice and have never been disappointed. I think it only comes in one colour, which is Obsidian Black and it's quite dark. I really like the brush - not too big, and not one of those plastic bristles.I find it lengthens my lashes and gives just enough volume for everyday wear and can be layered for more intense volume. I don't find it flakes or smudges at all unless I'm picking at my eyes. It comes off easily with makeup remover or soap and water.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2013 3:57:00 PM More reviews by crissy234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this as a sample size in a package with lip balm. This mascara was ok for me. It gives nice fluttery lashes, but doesn't really volumize much. It seems to slowly rub off as the day goes on, so if I don't check in the mirror throughout the day, I'll definitely end up with a shadow of mascara under my eyes. I don't think I've ever ended up with full on raccoon eyes with this mascara, but that may be because I remembered to check and would clean it up occasionally through the day. I have combination/oily skin, so it might be ok on someone who has drier skin, but I don't really know.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by dakota2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I tried another Korres mascara (Provitamin B5 & Rice Bran) and was sorely disappointed. I had high hopes because this, IMO, is considered a semi-high-end brand.
When I received a sample size of the Volcanic Minerals mascara, the first thing I noticed was the incredibly large brush. I was amazed it could fit in such a small container.
This mascara is definitely a winner in my books! It went on in one coat, whereas the B5 & Rice Bran took multiple coats to achieve the same look.
I will definitely purchase the full-size. It will be my first over $10 mascara I have ever purchased, but I believe it is worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by kkate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was very disappointed with this mascara. It was okay when I first started to use. Nothing to write home about but not really worth returning. The mascara wand was okay but wasn't great at getting mascara on individual lashes. I have been more pleased with other brands at similar prices. After just a few weeks, it was dry and clumpy. I know you're supposed to throw away mascara after three months but this was ridiculous.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I got this mascara as part of a sampler kit at Sephora. I have been really disappointed in the mascara options out there for a long time and never seem to find what I like. I have been using L'Oreal Double Extend Mascara, but it is not a very pure black (it seems grayish to me) and tends to flake over time. This mascara gives it a run for its money. It is quite black and has nice separation. I can also put more than one coat on without clumping (something I cannot do with my current mascara). The mascara has a strange smell, but I think it is more interesting than weird. I look forward to purchasing the full-sized product when I run out.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/8/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by superlemon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this mascara. And when I first put it on, I did! It went on smoothly and gave me soft, fluttery lashes. It creates a very nice, natural-but-better kind of look. Unfortunately it also smudges worse than anything else I've tried. The first time I looked into the mirror mid-day and saw a black smudge under my eye, I thought it was a fluke. It happens, you know? But no such luck. It happens consistently every time I wear this. And I'm not talking about days where I'm swimming or crying or sweating up a storm or walking around in the rain - I'm talking normal days at work or even lazy days when I barely leave the house! It's ridiculous.

So unfortunately I can't recommend this one. I got a mini tube as a 100 point perk from Sephora, so I'm not too upset about its lackluster performance, but if I'd paid $20 for the full-sized version I'd be far less blase about it.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by lilyeffigy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This reminds me a lot of (the discontinued) Clinique long pretty lashes. I liked that mascara. I didn't love it.

When choosing a mascara, it is important to factor in climate. I know that sounds wonky, but here is what I mean:
This mascara is on the wet side. It's very malleable and it takes a while to dry or "set". This is great if you live in an arid climate, like LA or Vegas, because I imagine anyone living in those places has to replace their mascara more often than others due to products drying out. For someone in New Orleans, this mascara would be a nightmare. It would never dry.
I live in Chicago, where we have very cold, dry winters, and very hot, humid summers. I have to shift my makeup routines based on weather (it is not uncommon to be 20 degrees and snowing one day and then 80 and humid the next), just like my hair products.

I included the above because I think it's important that when reading a review of a product, one should take into account the climate where the product is used.

That being said, this is a decent mascara. It looks very natural, and can be built up if you have patience (it takes a bit of time to dry). it is very dark black. It smells weird. I was a fan of the previous Korres volumizing mascara, and I do not like the pro vitamin b5 mascara. This seems to be a combo of those two, with a darker pigmentation.

Buxom lash is $1 cheaper, and a better mascara all around. If you have the option to buy Buxom, I would choose that instead. It is a better year round mascara, although I do reach for something else on very humid days.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2013 9:13:00 AM More reviews by blairpeony

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I love this mascara. It gives a nice curl ( and actually holds it) to my naturally straight lashes. I usually apply 3 coats and it doesn't get clumpy.maybe a little. I am not crazy about the brush,could have been a lot better.It has a nice smell unlike other mascaras. Definitely a must.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Very clumpy. I think the brush is poorly designed, seems to gather my lashes together as it swims through. Glad I got it as a sample.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2013 1:34:00 PM More reviews by repercussionist

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Got this with some points from Sephora, and I don't like it. The brush is weird and has some gaps in the bristles that I doubt are doing the application any favors. The volumizing is....not noteworthy. I get better volume with Voluminous mascara. Also, there is some fallout throughout the day. So glad I got this with points and didn't pay for it.