April 24, 2014 | 1767 users online

Eyeliner - Maybelline - Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing Shadow Pencil

rated 1 of 5 on 3/29/2014 3:45:00 AM More reviews by Pyrettablazed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is garbage. I got the purple, it looks more like a dull black. No color payoff, the smudger is hard and uncomfortable on the eyelid, and erases the line you just drew. Back to the store it goes!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2014 2:05:00 AM More reviews by DrZoidberg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I agree with many of the points reviewer laurakaaay mentions. This is perfectly fine as an everyday eyeliner. I have it in Scorching Brown. As an NC20 with blue eyes, this turned out to be a great choice for me. It's a nice black-brown which is not too dark, not too light.

I tend to apply it fairly lightly (see laurakaaay's technique below) and this works really well for me. I do use the smudger. Sure it is not the softest, squidgiest smudger but when laziness prevails, it is not terrible! I do not find it scratchy like someone mentioned but it is a tad firmer than I like. Meh, it does an ok job and it is more precise than my finger. It's very handy having it positioned on the other end of the pencil and it is protected by a well-fitting cap. I find that dabbing rather than swiping with it yields the best "bedroom eyes" smudges.

The staying power is good. I have fairly oily lids. Most of the time I am applying this alone and usually at the last minute before I rush out the door... I prep with a light application of pressed powder and find this is enough for the liner to stay put. After about 8 hours or so I see a faint transfer on my browbone but aside from this, it looks as good as when I applied it.

I had difficulty deciding whether to click yes or no to the question "Would you buy it again?" This is not really a revolutionary product and I'm sure there are probably better equivalents out there. I went with "No" in the end but that is not a reflection on how well it works. Give it a try, especially if it is on sale!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2014 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Ambam032

it's too soft. The blending sponge removes it even with a light hand. I found it works best to let the liner sit a bit before trying to blend it. The blending sponge is hard and scratchy. I have the color NY Concrete. It's a darker grey with a lot of sparkle. I will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by laurakaaay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have the Maybelline Eye Studio Master Smoky Long-Wearing eyeliner/shadow pencil in Scorching Brown, and to be frank, I do really like this for everyday wear, AS AN EYELINER ONLY.

I was walking through Chemist Warehouse one day, and I saw this at the Maybelline stall, and it was on offer for about AU$7.00 and I immediately picked it up, and threw it into my shopping basket. I needed a new eyeliner, but as it's summer, I wanted something less harsh, but still something that will define my eyes. The Scorching Brown colour is beautiful, it's a dark coffee brown, and upon further inspection, has a slight iridescent shimmer, which helps make this wearable for many skin tones without being too heavy and harsh. I use the pencil on my lower lash line, heavier on the outer 2/3 of my lash line, and lighter on the inner 1/3. If I'm going for a more dramatic look, with either with my finger or a mac 217 brush, I smudge it out. Although, it doesn't smudge a lot, because it isn't creamy. I just smudge it a little, just to make it look effortless, and more bedroom eyes - esque. Chuck on some mascara, and I'm good to go! (Girls with glasses like me, this makes your eyes stand out through your glasses, if applied as an eyeliner, it's awesome!)

The smudge sponge on the pencil itself is terrible, but that's a reality with many eyeliner smudge sponges at the drugstore. I only use this product as an EYELINER, not an eyeshadow stick as it isn't creamy enough to put all over the eyelid with major tugging. I'm not a fan of tugging at my eyelid, and I imagine not many people are, so if you're looking for an eyeshadow stick in a similar colour (brown) and price range, let me steer you toward the Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow stick in Bad Girl Bronze.

The pencil doesn't have any noticeable scent, it didn't irritate me when I was wearing contact lenses, and I have quite sensitive eyes. When applied, it didn't feel heavy, so I have no problems wearing it all day, or to work or university.

The pencil lasted all day on my lower lash line/Water line and at the end of the day, it looked the same as it did when first applied. I don't have oily skin or problems with eye make up coming off, so it could smudge slightly on those who have oily skin, but it's not too creamy, so I don't imagine it slipping off dramatically. It came off easily with some eye make up remover or warm water, I didn't have to scrub my eyes to get it off!

All in all, it's a great eyeliner, that would suit and flatter so many skin tones. For the price it's good quality, but it's not a revolutionary product. It does the job of defining my eyes, and if I ever run out of it, I could see myself purchasing it again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by tessture

I have the dark blue and it's garbage. It goes on thin and transparent, with practically no color at all and wipes off with the blending tool that's supposed to smooth it out. there's more pigment in an ELF eyeliner than in this thing. I'm extremely disappointed. It's only use is as a base for powdered eyeshadow, but it's still so soft it doesn't last long as that either. Not a good product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2014 8:44:00 PM More reviews by graceybaby8

This product is average. The eyeliner is quite soft and the smudger acts almost like an eraser, even with a light hand... It takes off the colour as much as it smudges.... Also the smudger is a wee bit scratchy IMO. The colour payoff is great but lasting power is below average. It's an easy way to create a smoky eye (I tend not to smoke out my bottom lashes) but the product could be better.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2013 12:52:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I found the MASTER SMOKEY is easy to apply, as it doesn't drag across my eyelid or scratch the sensitive skin and the line applies with a even colour in one stroke. It is also easy to smudge the colour out. This is where my problems start, as it is too easy to smoke out - the smudger works more like an eraser for me.

Rather then this being a fast and easy alternative to using eyeshadow, I find myself having to take ten minutes blending, shaping and layering my MASTER SMOKEY until I get a nice, wearable look. Then comes problem two; this is NOT 'long lasting'. I'll look in the mirror after about six hours and there will just be a little colour in my crease, the rest of the liner will have vanished. My skin is dry and setting the liner with powder makes no difference. Ican set it with eyeshadow, but that defeats the purpose of using it for a smokey look in the first place.

It's a shame; I bought the MASTER SMOKEY on a 3 for 2, and love the colours [I have black, grey and navy]. The pencil itself is very nice; not too hard, not too soft, but the size and price is pretty bad for using this purely as a liner. Rimmel's kohl pencils are cheaper, but smudge better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2013 11:00:00 AM More reviews by missmadisonave

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Can't believe all the bad reviews here! I bought this yesterday on a whim-the black one-and maybe they've changed the formula recently, but I was super impressed. I don't do an extreme smoky eye, but did line and smudge and I got a lot of compliments on my makeup. Plus, it lasted all night with no creasing which is big for me. I'm going to try other colors-love this!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2013 4:29:00 PM More reviews by ToriStar

It smudges too much over the course of the day so that I have noticeable raccoon eyes. It works well at first to create a bold eye but the color moves around so much that it is difficult to work with. The smudger on the end was not great for me, it kind of just erases it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2013 6:50:00 AM More reviews by lilium8

I bought these in brown and purple in a 2 for 1 deal and I must say I actually like them and use them quite a lot. However, they don't really give you the smoky eyes that are promised and so if you're looking for something that leaves a lot of colour, there are better options out there.

I use it mostly during to the day and to work where I don't want my eye make-up to be too heavy and I must say that it's a pretty nice option for that, plus it is very travel friendly. I didn't expect it to be long-lasting as even a very thick line is very easily smudged into oblivion if you apply too much pressure, but it lasts long enough for me (around 5 hours I would say) and it's very easy to touch-up.

Overall I would probably not buy again though.