September 23, 2014 | 2072 users online

Lipstick - Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics - Lip Tar - Hush

rated 2 of 5 on 4/29/2014 9:46:00 AM More reviews by peachykeen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had heard lots of good things about these lip tars. I love lip stains and long wearing lipsticks so I thought I would try this one.
As others have mentioned, it's very liquidy - which in itself is not bad. It's easy to apply a drop or two and smooth with a fingertip for opaque coverage. So far so good.
The color HUSH isn't great for my NC 30 skin tone. It doesn't last for hours. I've tried it on it's own, with a base, with a gloss on top...the longest it will last is a couple of hours.

The Sephora collection cream lip stains are a similar texture and wear for MUCH longer. I would not repurchase a lip tar.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2013 12:50:00 AM More reviews by SS100

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Contrary to most people, I found that lip tars are fairly easy to control and are far sheerer than they are usually said to be. It also does not last long. I am glad I bought only one lip tar. The shade does not make me look dead though and gives me a nice pale pink lip albeit it settles on the lines of my so a light layer may look streaky as it is not a creamy product. Its texture is liquid. It's true this will last for a while but so while other good quality lipsticks of the same price. The tube packaging is quite nice but it comes with a lip brush and a clear ziplock packet and if you store the used lip brush and product there, it tends to get messy as it spreads the remaining product around. Nice size overall. Would buy for novelty but not hg.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2013 4:55:00 PM More reviews by FlawlessLeopard

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product after hearing so many great reviews. I normally go for reds and berry tones for my olive skin but I thought the pink would be something fun. I put some on as soon as I got it and did not realize how little you need to use. Seriously, the tiniest bit or you will end up like I did looking like some terrible 80's video vixen, my finace looked at me work horror! I decided to re-try with applying only a small about of the product. It is not bad, however If I want a light pink MAC has great shades that are easy to apply. The amount of product will probably last me forever as it is very generous but the consistency is almost like lacquer paint and the tube leaks and is messy so I definitely cannot bring this in my purse ever. The lip brush it comes with is a nice bonus however it is too small for me to use on a proper angle.

Will not be re-purchasing any further lip tar products.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Juliasyji

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a huge fan of OCC lip tars but this shade is off on my nc30 skin. I was hoping to get a soft looking pinky nude-y shade and hush seemed to fit the bill. When I wear this, it makes me look like i painted my lips with one of those neon baby pink stuff from the 80's (u know, the stuff skiiers would wear).
I have to layer this with something else (another lip tar or a lipstick or a gloss) to make it look acceptable. On its own it's horrible on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 4:13:00 PM More reviews by LadyKolie

This is the new style packaging. I bought if from a Sephora store a month ago. I love the color of Hush. Lip tars are meant to be mixed with other lip tars to make your own colors or wear straight from the tube. They are super fun to play with. Also considering the amount of product and the price, it's a good deal. It will last a while.

I am a big fan of products that work and have 100% Vegan ingredients. This is one of them. This particular one is a semi matte finish, possibly matte, depending on your lips. It is long wearing. Now I wear lanolin under every lipstick because it keeps my lips from drying out and splitting and getting horribly flaky. It doesn't matter what lipstick I wear, if I put anything with color on my lips will dry out. So lanolin is my protection (yes I know vegan and then lanolin, what I am thinking, but it is the only thing that keeps my lips from becoming a mess).

That said, OCC lip tars are drying, because of their finish. I currently own four colors. Anime, Hush, Momento, and Grandma. The lasting time is impressive, though with a balm underneath I do find that I need to reapply.

My skin tone is a smiggen pink (Nc/NW 07-10 or exactly Nars Gobi for reference) and it works well with this color. With lip tars a little goes a long long way, I barely use anything to get amazing color pay off. I see this lasting me a very long time. longer than any tube lipsticks.

As a side note, I tried this as a liquid/cream blush. Literally the smallest dot did both cheeks, stayed on for hours, and didn't move around (have combo, oily skin). I did this on a bare face, no primer, no foundation. I haven't tried it with, so the results my differ.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2012 11:32:00 AM More reviews by Ilse333

I saw these on Temptalia's site and thought they looked intriguing. Let's face it, we are all constantly searching for that perfect lip color that lasts and lasts. So I snatched this up at Sephora and .... how disappointing. There is nothing soft or natural or flattering about this product. It looks like I painted pale neon cookie frosting over my mouth. And it's drying, to boot.

Because I hate not to get use out of something, I have found a way to use this under a deeper shade of nude lipgloss, and it looks okay that way. But really, I can't recommend this to anyone. Too many better lip products on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by ramseyeaton

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really like the color of this product, it's very neutral and nude so it looks great with my skin tone, and probably all skin tones. It's not vibrant or loud, but a very pretty natural pink. The peppermint smell is pleasant, and a little bit goes a long way. The color is very opaque, and when it goes on it feels more like lipstick than a lipgloss. I love the way it doesn't feel sticky or goopy or thick, but just right. It also lasts a long time and I would definitely recommend this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2012 4:58:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tend to not write reviews for products that I dislike or that don't work for me because I either get rid of them right away and forget about them quickly, and because I'm much more excited to review things I actually love. But I just bought three OCC lip tars and I was disappointed with all of them. I chose the colors based on swatches and reviews and while I liked one of the colors, the formulas are a let down. This color was my first choice based on the swatches I saw on different blogs, but it's a very lackluster pink based nude that has the same orange undertone I noticed in Memento. It's not a pale nude, more of a light to medium that actually looks very pigmented and shows up as a medium pink-foundation color on my skin. I don't know where they get the description of it being an "antique bridal pink" since to me that conjures up images of a soft, neutral pale pink or a virginal, dusky light pink. Very thin consistency that's difficult to apply without it getting outside the natural lip line, especially with the little brush that's included. If I leave it as a thin layer it slips all over my lip and settles on the outer areas; if I dab it off and leave it as more of a lip stain it just looks terrible and flat so there's no grey areas to work with it. Plus I didn't find anything special or great about the color where I'd want to try it out with a gloss, balm, etc. to try and make it look better.

Packaging is annoying given that it's hard to control how much product comes out, and it gets all over the tip and inside the lid unless I wipe it off each time I use it, which is difficult if I'm out somewhere and don't have tissues handy. Leaks as well. There's a generous amount of product in the tube given how little is actually needed but I'd rather they make a package that's designed to distribute the product more cleanly and with less leaking.

It seems to have a long wear length, about as good as a long wearing lipstick but it was so drying that it's impossible to wear alone without a lip balm or gloss on top. Looks drying and flat as well. Not flattering in finish or color. When it's worn in about the same thickness or layer as a lipstick it looks like I dabbed a flat foundation all over my lips. It does have excellent pigmentation and covers my lip well but since it's an opaque cream it does settle and dry strangely. I like the minty scent and the natural ingredients but I don't understand the hype behind these lip tars. For me these just didn't work and I'm returning them to Sephora.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2012 8:43:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

This is my only OCC lip tar so I can't speak for them in general but the shade in Hush is not as neutral as I thought it would be based off of online swatches. I find it difficult to apply..too much it is cakey and pastel..too little it is like any other dry pinky peach nude lipstick. Once you find the right amount it is nice and my boyfriend complimented me on it so that was good, maybe not. It is drying and even though they are known to be long lasting, this particular shade is not on me at least. I think I might try the brighter or darker shades and see how they perform. For this one, until further notice, I would pass.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by clarissa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I felt like this was a blind buy since I am not able to try it out in a brick and mortar store and had to buy it online as a final sale. For the shade “Hush”, I’ve heard it described as a peachy pink or a light pink nude. It was more of a mid tone neon pink on my lips. Not a good look for me, but maybe for Nicki Minaj. I will not repurchase.