October 2, 2014 | 972 users online

Fragrances - Yves Saint Laurent - Yvresse (Champagne)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by stls

I wish wish wishhhh I could get a vintage bottle of Yvress, such an exquisite creation! That's another whole dimension of fruity perfumes. A chypre heavy on the FRESH peach, apricot and nectarine (unlike Tresor) that's still classy and grown up - they don't make them this way anymore (oh, I sound like my grandmother and I'm still 25)
It's interesting that Yves Saint Laurent changed the name from Champagne to Yvresse because of lawsuits filed by French producers of the sparkling wine that originally bore the name.

According to my nose Yvress opens with a heavy blast of the aforementioned fruits (did I stress it enough that they smell incredibly natural?) and a touch of mint. Then lots of cinnamon is revealed and the warmth of it makes a fantastic contrast with the mint and the fruits. This is a strong scent that won't pass unnoticed, gets loads of compliments and lasts forever.
During the drydown I can smell lots of oakmoss too. I know oakmoss might not appeal to the young audience and will be banned from perfumes soon because of IFRA and allergies - it really makes me sad because it's such a sophisticated note! There are other notes too like litchi, rose caraway, violet, carnation, patchouli, amber, jasmine, benzoin, iris, anise, coconut, vetiver, cedar, vanilla, musk, styrax ans lily of the valley. Although they are not that prominent to my nose they really contribute with their subtle nuances and contrasts, it's a real olfactory symphony. Bows to Sophia Grojsman!

Yvress does smell unique and sparkling, it's a powerhouse and a total beauty!
Did I just say ''does''? I meant ''did'' and it hurts me to say so. The new (2011) formulation ''La Collection'' packaged in the white blocky bottle is just madiocre. The top notes were almost the same and I was hopeful. But after a certain amount of time I only get a far cry from the original. Looked at the notes too and there are just peach, litchi, patchouli, violets and rose. Imagine Capella Sistina without colors.

I can't even wear it - although it's still better than most fruity perfumes out there - because I remember what a breathtaking beauty it was and how they ruined it. I have no words for this crime.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by jodiebug22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I have bought many many of these over the years (back when it was called Champagne). I always get compliments when I wear it and it is a must have in my perfume collection. I never tire of the smell. Its gorgeous.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2012 9:46:00 AM More reviews by katieflo

My favorite perfume! My mother-in-law introduced me to this in its old bottle (Champagne) and I fell in love with it! Now, there is no other perfume good enough, this is the one I wear everyday and always get compliments on it :) It's very distinctive and original not like most perfumes these days. I can't really explain the smell but its just beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2012 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am affluent ( since you need to be if you have the yvresse addiction! ), sophisticated, immaculately-mannered and with a library in my head. This is how Yvresse speaks to me and commands to behave accordingly! This is THE upperclass lady scent, and it smells absolutely ridiculous on those who can't at least play the role! Cold season/evening substance, rather grownup ( would think twice before if I were in my 20s! ) and very content with life and itself: full-bodied, plum, sparkling currant or rose wine. It is everyday glamour of intelligence. Dimmed lights in an old library occupying a grand historic building, suede emerald ( I detect a little chypre in there ) and wine-coloured fabrics, curtains with tassels, old books sitting in neighbourhood of a cognac-filled glass and creme de la creme moving around slowly while discussing the burning political and social issues. When I wear it it makes me work for it, listen, read, learn, keep my back straight and never dine without a napkin and proper dinnerware. A very old beauty of a rapidly vanishing lifestyle: so grateful it has been at least preserved in a bottle! Apropos, the factice is everything the scent is not: as far as you can get away from sophistication, a child's toy shape and hardly memorable, would not be bringing any grace to one's vanity table. The only thing that holds me back from keeping it inside a wall cabinet is the contents: I would never want it to be too far away from my reach. I sniff it at least one a day ( from the bottle cap) even when I am wearing other perfumes. It reminds me what I can be and what kind of woman I aspired to become when I was a little girl.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2012 2:55:00 PM More reviews by airubgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This was my first "real" perfume purchase when I was in my early 20's. It was my signature and the only scent that I wore. It still holds a special place in my heart and fragrance wardrobe. For me this scent is a little black dress and high heels, but on the flip of that, I can and have worn it with jeans and a tank top. With it's bright sparkling top notes, warm cozy dry down and the luscious floral heart, it is a dichotomy of playfulness and sophistication. I still have a bottle of the original, when it was called "Champagne", and it just gets better with age as a great perfume should do. The sillage is just right, haloing around the wearer and the lasting power is amazing. While I don't wear it any longer, I still hold onto that bottle and give it a sniff on occasion and smile at all the memories it holds.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 9:51:00 PM More reviews by GothicGal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is such a gorgeous perfume. It is a very original frangrance, not like anything else I have come across. The scent itself is very strong, when first applied it needs to be done minimally or else it can be overwhelming. When other people wear this I can smell it instantly. It lasts a long time when worn also, doesn't fade quickly like other perfumes. And I love the bottle, it's really pretty! Overall one of my favourites!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2010 3:39:00 PM More reviews by ml176

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I defintely smell the peach, which is not really ny cup of tea, so this isn't for me. It has a mix of an almost powdery scent to me that I can't put my finger on. Since fragrance is so subjective I would recommend this to someone who likes fruity type perfumes. It is pretty for what it is, it's just not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2010 2:53:00 AM More reviews by laurelrea

I first had this when I was quite young (when it was Champagne) and always had fond memories of it. I always notice it when I smell it on somebody else and it always smells so sparkly and delicious. I decided to buy it again recently. and it's lovely and warm and fizzy peachy. It's a pretty heavy scent so you need to apply lightly, which I never do because I'm a terrible over-sprayer. I probably wouldnt get it again, but i did enjoy reliving it for a while.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 11:12:00 AM More reviews by tessture

Paler than I thought it'd be. Nectarine, light rose, a nice stable base that's too indefinite to describe but is probably mossy wood or the ghost of mossy wood. Very faint. I was expecting something glittering and golden, with an original name like Champaign, but this is not really it. Still, I find myself trying it again. Perhaps it is growing on me. Nice, but didn't strike me as particularly spectacular and yet....I'll have to keep sampling.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2010 10:12:00 AM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely adore this fragrance, but it can get a touch too loud in the opening so I can only give it a four. Contrary to the previous reviewer, I get an almost straight up peach bellini for most of the life of this scent - which I love. Bright and effervescent, it shines and inevitably makes me happy for a few hours. This doesn't have a strong enough base on me to really count it in the chypre category - when I think of chypres, I'm thinking Diorella, Caline, Jubilation 25. If you were to lay this out on a scale of 1 to ten on where it might fit in a chypre category, I'd put it solidly in the 2 or 2.5 on the scale.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No