MAC Amorous

4.3

on 7/20/2015 1:19:00 PM

Amorous is a browny-plum MAC Satin that doesn't come off as red, ever. It's a beautiful lipstick, and more versatile than you might think. The shade itself is incredibly flattering, and the formula is amazing, so let's just get these things out of the way.

Dark without being harsh, daytime vampy -- and at night it just looks like you're the coolest chick in the place. It's a unique shade (not brown, not berry, not red, not purple, not plum, not mauve, but somehow all of these things at once), and very well done at that. It strikes a perfect balance between classy/sexy/trendy without looking like you're trying too hard that I really appreciate.

-In summer, when I'm tan, it's almost a neutral on me. An "up the ante" neutral, if you will
-Will fulfill most fall goth lip ambitions
-Make a *gorgeous* stain when sheered out and blended with your finger
-Lasts forever on the lips, wears evenly, doesn't settle into lines
-Doesn't need a liner
-Can work with a lot of eye makeup if you'd like (i.e. it's not TOO much lip on its own)
-But if you're low on time, swipe it on and it's all you'll need

<3 Amorous!

TIP: Revlon's Plumalicious lipstick is, indeed, very similar to Amorous so check that out if you're intrigued and on a budget. I have both. I still just love Amorous, though.

on 6/29/2015 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I absolutely adore this lipstick! It's a beautiful shade of purple that compliments warmer skin tones. I have quite tanned skin and pink lips so this shade looks natural on me. It's easy to apply (it's in their satin collection so not too creamy or matte) and very build-able, so you can definitely go for a more dramatic/gothic look.

on 2/23/2015 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this color! It's not very dark, but it looks rich and velvety on my lips. I like the texture and the appearance too - it's soft and smooth but not shiny. Suitable for both day and night.

Day - apply it over a layer of lipbalm
Night - apply it over a layer of matching lip pencil

on 1/29/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have pale skin and very vibrant copper hair so I sometimes struggle to find lipsticks that suit my hair colour and don't clash. Amorous is gorgeous!!! This is my go to winter lipstick! On me it's a deep plum with a just a hint of brown in it. The satin finish is my favourite mac finish. I love that they are completely opaque and look matte without feeling matte. Amorous lasts about 8 hours on me and I can eat and drink and it will still stay on. It wears off evenly and leaves a beautiful midtone plum stain behind. I love this lipstick so so sooo much and 100% will be buying this again when my current one runs out!! I would absolutely recommend this shade to people who are trying out a vampy shade for the first time as this one is deep without being too dark and is very very flattering.

on 1/28/2015 9:49:00 AM

I bought this and then returned it a week later. It's a realy pretty plum color that is muted/browny/grey enough to not be TOO noticeable or in your face. But it's just too dark to pulll off and I don't think i'd ever wear it, except on occasion maybe in the fall. But yeah, it's too dark.

on 1/15/2015 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this some time ago as a gift and since I wasn't wearing plummy shades at the time, I sort of just forgot about it. But yesterday, I was cleaning out the oldies in my stash and stumbled upon this. Coincidentally, I had also seen the color on the Youtuber Bailey Van Der Veen a couple days ago and thought it looked gorgeous, so I figured I'd give it a shot rather than pawn it off on a friend. Boy am I glad I did.
What a shapeshifting color! You wouldn't expect that from a satin finish, but it really catches light differently in various settings. In warm tungsten light, it pulls to a brown-mauve. In natural light, it's a very pretty, muted plum. It's not as light as a true mauve, nor does it lean as pink, but it's not as dark as some of the other plum shades I've seen recently. It skates the fine line between the two, and for that, I think it's perfect.
I'm a bold lip kind of gal, but sometimes, I want to wear something that is a bit more subdued, especially at the office (though it's not foreign for me to wear blackened purples to work because why not). This is perfect for that.
The texture of this satin finish lipstick is quite creamy upon application, but not so creamy that it migrates around my lips. I find the staying power to be adequate after I've done my apply-blot-apply-blot-apply method (as I do with all lipstick), and I've not experienced any feathering, even without a liner. This settles down to a satin-matte finish over time, which makes it even more flattering. Since it's a step up from the matte MAC lipsticks, I find this applies considerably more evenly right out the gate - I don't need to go through any extra effort to get opaque coverage.
I find this lipstick to be neither drying nor hydrating. So far, I've not experienced any flaking, though if your lips are already dry, it may behoove you to apply a light balm first.
The packaging is standard to all MAC lipsticks - simple, black, chic, and always sturdy. It's $16 on their site, which is still low for a premium brand considering other higher-end brands charge far more.
Love this shade!

on 12/22/2014 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love it. I don't have to even wear a liner when I wear this lipstick and its a very toned down shade of mauve that can be wearable at work. One of my favourites...

on 12/15/2014 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVEEEE this colour, it's such a beautiful shade and I believe can flatter any skin tone . I believe if you're not yet ready to buy Rebel this is definitely the first step to it !

on 8/10/2014 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Omg, I instantly fell in love with this color the moment I put it on my lips and looked in the mirror at the MAC store! I had no intentions of buying this lipstick when I went to the store, nor have I ever even heard of the shade. I was just looking for an everyday kind of mauve color. Idk why I've never heard beauty guru's on YouTube talk about this, but I'm so glad I found it! This is the perfect shade for those who like to wear lipstick on an everyday basis, but are too afraid to wear bold colors. I can't exactly describe what color this lipstick is.. it is somewhere between mauve/taupe/pink/plum. Very school/work appropriate, but could also be worn on a night out!

on 7/30/2014 9:09:00 AM

I love this lipstick! Im fair to medium skin and glanced at this one and mac captive, i couldnt decide between the two so i purchased both!! Fair to medium gals, u can definately wear this!! Must try!!

Popular Lipsticks