MAC Amorous

4.3

on 2/23/2015 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this color! It's not very dark, but it looks rich and velvety on my lips. I like the texture and the appearance too - it's soft and smooth but not shiny. Suitable for both day and night.

Day - apply it over a layer of lipbalm
Night - apply it over a layer of matching lip pencil

on 1/29/2015 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I have pale skin and very vibrant copper hair so I sometimes struggle to find lipsticks that suit my hair colour and don't clash. Amorous is gorgeous!!! This is my go to winter lipstick! On me it's a deep plum with a just a hint of brown in it. The satin finish is my favourite mac finish. I love that they are completely opaque and look matte without feeling matte. Amorous lasts about 8 hours on me and I can eat and drink and it will still stay on. It wears off evenly and leaves a beautiful midtone plum stain behind. I love this lipstick so so sooo much and 100% will be buying this again when my current one runs out!! I would absolutely recommend this shade to people who are trying out a vampy shade for the first time as this one is deep without being too dark and is very very flattering.

on 1/28/2015 9:49:00 AM

I bought this and then returned it a week later. It's a realy pretty plum color that is muted/browny/grey enough to not be TOO noticeable or in your face. But it's just too dark to pulll off and I don't think i'd ever wear it, except on occasion maybe in the fall. But yeah, it's too dark.

on 1/15/2015 1:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this some time ago as a gift and since I wasn't wearing plummy shades at the time, I sort of just forgot about it. But yesterday, I was cleaning out the oldies in my stash and stumbled upon this. Coincidentally, I had also seen the color on the Youtuber Bailey Van Der Veen a couple days ago and thought it looked gorgeous, so I figured I'd give it a shot rather than pawn it off on a friend. Boy am I glad I did.
What a shapeshifting color! You wouldn't expect that from a satin finish, but it really catches light differently in various settings. In warm tungsten light, it pulls to a brown-mauve. In natural light, it's a very pretty, muted plum. It's not as light as a true mauve, nor does it lean as pink, but it's not as dark as some of the other plum shades I've seen recently. It skates the fine line between the two, and for that, I think it's perfect.
I'm a bold lip kind of gal, but sometimes, I want to wear something that is a bit more subdued, especially at the office (though it's not foreign for me to wear blackened purples to work because why not). This is perfect for that.
The texture of this satin finish lipstick is quite creamy upon application, but not so creamy that it migrates around my lips. I find the staying power to be adequate after I've done my apply-blot-apply-blot-apply method (as I do with all lipstick), and I've not experienced any feathering, even without a liner. This settles down to a satin-matte finish over time, which makes it even more flattering. Since it's a step up from the matte MAC lipsticks, I find this applies considerably more evenly right out the gate - I don't need to go through any extra effort to get opaque coverage.
I find this lipstick to be neither drying nor hydrating. So far, I've not experienced any flaking, though if your lips are already dry, it may behoove you to apply a light balm first.
The packaging is standard to all MAC lipsticks - simple, black, chic, and always sturdy. It's $16 on their site, which is still low for a premium brand considering other higher-end brands charge far more.
Love this shade!

on 12/22/2014 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love it. I don't have to even wear a liner when I wear this lipstick and its a very toned down shade of mauve that can be wearable at work. One of my favourites...

on 12/15/2014 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I LOVEEEE this colour, it's such a beautiful shade and I believe can flatter any skin tone . I believe if you're not yet ready to buy Rebel this is definitely the first step to it !

on 8/10/2014 12:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Omg, I instantly fell in love with this color the moment I put it on my lips and looked in the mirror at the MAC store! I had no intentions of buying this lipstick when I went to the store, nor have I ever even heard of the shade. I was just looking for an everyday kind of mauve color. Idk why I've never heard beauty guru's on YouTube talk about this, but I'm so glad I found it! This is the perfect shade for those who like to wear lipstick on an everyday basis, but are too afraid to wear bold colors. I can't exactly describe what color this lipstick is.. it is somewhere between mauve/taupe/pink/plum. Very school/work appropriate, but could also be worn on a night out!

on 7/30/2014 9:09:00 AM

I love this lipstick! Im fair to medium skin and glanced at this one and mac captive, i couldnt decide between the two so i purchased both!! Fair to medium gals, u can definately wear this!! Must try!!

on 5/19/2014 8:45:00 AM

This is such a lovely color, I receive compliments every time I wear it. It's a beautiful reddish plum color that reads almost like a wine red on me. I'm a MAC NW20 and although Amorous goes on darker on my lips that it would seem in the tube, I don't mind, I still love it! I was surprised to see the other reviews here mentioning the "mud" undertones because I don't see that on me at all. The wear of this lipstick is excellent as well, it goes perfectly with MAC's pencil lipliner in Half-Red and with the two paired up it can even last through a meal if I'm careful. My only consideration when wearing this lipstick is that it can be a bit drying, but I solve that by applying a bit of lip balm underneath. Since MAC's Satin lipsticks are just one step up from their matte colors, this tends to highlight any flakes or flaws in my lips too, so I just make sure to keep my lips hydrated and exfoliated. Overall this is a definite must-have in my lipstick collection, I'll be purchasing it again when I run low. LOVE!!!!

on 4/17/2014 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

Amorous is an odd color for me. I am NC45-50 for reference. I initially bought it because I saw a girl with a similar skin tone wear this in a review video and it looked awesome on her. The first time I put it on, I was disappointed and didn't like it - it looked darker than I thought it would. Afterwards, it grew on me but there was always something I didn't like about it. Then I realized that this color basically looks pinkish-plum with an undertone of MUD. There's a muddy look to it when I wear it alone. I can make it look good by applying a pink gloss or glaze over it.

I went to MAC and tried on other similar colors and I found CAPTIVE. Captive is basically this color but with no mud undertone. It's definitely more pinkish with a plum undertone. I love it - it's a great everyday color for me and it's a much better option for gals of my skin color.

Popular Lipsticks