I was so excited to try out this product. I don't have terrible acne, but I am in graduate school and getting married in a little under a year so I have been having some breakouts due to stress and really wanted something to help keep my face clear. And as excited as I was to try this, I was terribly disappointed.
- This stuff smells amazing! Kind of like orange, and it's really strong but doesn't leave your face smelling like oranges.
- The first couple of times using this, I loved it. Initially it made my face feel SO nice and clean.
- While $21 for a bottle of cleanser seems very expensive, you don't need to use much and this bottle should last a VERY long time.
- I have very oily skin, and this stuff dried my face out to the point that it started peeling and flaking off. And that was after only a couple of days.
- I'm not sure if this stuff broke me out or if I had an allergic reaction to it or both, but after the second day of using this I started noticing that I had these little tiny red bumps all over my face. Not pimples, but more like a rash or something. After reading some of these reviews, this appears to be a pretty common occurrence.
I have combo-oily skin, and I suffer from hormonal acne on my chin and jawline. Usually I get large cycstic pimples that are deep, painful, and can take weeks to clear up. I also get the occasional whitehead here and there. I use a prescription topical acne-treatment that has cleared up my skin considerably, but if I'm not using a good cleanser my skin will start breaking out again.
I tend to go for drugstore cleansers -- there are a lot from the drugstore that work well for my skin, so I never really felt the need to buy a lot of pricier cleansers. But I got this as a gift and was super excited to try it out. This product has a gel-like consistency and it lathers up well. I use 1-2 pumps, depending if I'm just cleansing with my hands or with my Clarisonic. This has an awesome orange-citrusy scent, and the smell doesn't linger on your face after it's rinsed off. This rinses off clean and doesn't leave any kind of residue on the skin.
Sometimes cleansers with salicylic acid can really dry my skin out, but this one didn't do that at all. I could use this morning or night since it left my skin just feeling nice and balanced, not dry and tight and itchy. I usually only used this once a day, but sometimes I used it twice a day and it still didn't dry me out. When I used this product consistently, I did notice fewer breakouts and my skin overall appeared brighter and smoother. If I was breaking out, this didn't irritate the pimple by drying it out too much, and it didn't burn or sting when used on active breakouts.
I'll definitely pick this up again. It's not too expensive for a high-end skincare product ($21) and the bottle lasted a long time. I'm also now interested in trying other products in the Clear Days Ahead line. If you're acne-prone and your skin responds well to salicylic acid, I'd recommend trying this out.
I have been using this face wash for about 6 months now, and it has completely changed my skin.
I have acne prone skin and was extremely broken out when I started using this. I use it once in the morning when I shower. It smells sort of like oranges but the scent doesn't linger (like Purity Made Simple does). Within a week I didn't have any new breakouts. Within a month, my skin was more or less healed. It keeps my oily skin at bay all day and doesn't make my skin overly dry.
Absolutely worth a try if you're struggling with acne and active breakouts.
This product can be a little drying but it does work. I use the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser after I use this one and it balances my skin out again. I like the smell of this facewash, the foaminess, and it does work to clear my skin. If it wasn't so drying I would give it a 5 but if I don't use the CeraVe cleanser I'm all dry patches. Overall this is a really good cleanser and would work well on oiler skin but I make it work for my combination/dry skin.
I don't really suffer from acne but sometimes I will have the occasional menstrual breakout (if that was TMI-I do apologize). When does times come around I like to whip out this cleanser and use it at night because the next morning the pimples will be gone or decrease dramatically. After two or three nights of use my face is back to its pristine no acne zone face.
This is my first review because I feel the need to let everyone know how adding this product to my skincare routine has does wonders for me. For the past 3 years, I've only been using Philosophy's purity cleanser day and night because it helped calm my eczema flare ups. The past year or so, I started breaking out with acne on my forehead and chin pretty bad but was afraid to try new products with the possiblity of eczema flare ups or worsen my acne. I bought this cleanser on a whim after reading that just 1% salicylic acid is safe and appropriate for skin so you get an exfoliation of your dead skin cells (eczema is dry skin condition so it may have led to acne). I am 30 yrs old and finally my skin has become the most BALANCED ever since before my teen years suffering from terrible cystic acne then eczema in my mid 20s. My skincare routine is Philosophy Purity only in the morning and Clear Days Ahead at night with Clean & Clear 10% benzoyl peroxide gel on acne spots. My moisturizer day and night is California Baby calendula cream (at Target and cured my eczema, amazing product). Once or twice a week I mask with Formula 10.0.6 Deep down detox ultra cleansing mud mask (amazing from Ulta) Just one last thing, the cleanser may leave you a little dry but with a cream moisturizer you are putting back the moisture your skin needs after its super clean.
I love this stuff. Perfect for acne prone skin, cleansing without being too drying. I alternate cleansers on a daily basis (Philosophy Purity, this, Dr. Murad, Lush Coalface) because I'm recovering from cystic acne and so sometimes I need gentler vs stronger cleansers, or at least this has been what's working for me. I will ALWAYS rebuy.
WOW! I have suffered from acne for two horrible years. Being in highschool I have stayed home from many events with the horrible cystic acne I had. After a little research I decided to buy this product. I was hesitant at first just because 21 dollars is a little much for a cleanser in my opinion. I finally bought it and just wow! The first night I used it it was refreshing and foamy. The next morning I woke up with smooth and clearer skin! After a week most of my acne is completley cleared! HG product!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE
Where do I start?? This stuff is AMAZING!! This is truly the first product I've found that actually works in a long time. I've had horrible trouble with acne since I was in high school, I'm now 26, so it's safe to say I've tried a lot of stuff.
Also, 3 years ago, I had surgery to remove my left ovary and most of my right.....and my hormones have never been the same since. A friend of mine with similar issues recommend this wash to me, and I LOVE IT. This stuff has even helped to combat the awful, cystic hormonal breakouts.
Some things I should mention:
1) If I'm wearing makeup, I always wash all my makeup off my face BEFORE I use this face wash. (Usually just with an Olay daily facials cleansing cloth-for combo skin) That way the stuff that's in it can really sink into my skin and do it's job.
2) I also use the overnight salicylic acid treatment pads that philosophy makes as part of the clear days ahead system. They're a little pricey ($40 for 60) at Ulta, but I think it's worth it to also have the treatment on my face overnight. I've found it really did help clear my skin up!
3) The smell is really not bad at all, I was afraid it might be, but it's not! I don't really know how to describe it, it's sort of citrus/floral.
4) The texture is so fun! It's gel. It feels really good to massage into your skin every day.
5) I do not use it with a clarisonic, I just massage it into my skin with my fingers for about a minute, then rinse. But hey, if you have a clarisonic, go for it. I've heard it works great!
I know some people say this is really drying, and I can see how it would be if you have really dry skin. I have to say, I've never had any problem with dryness using these products, but I do have oily, acne-prone skin.