July 29, 2014 | 2118 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Healthy Defense Daily Moisturizer SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2014 3:39:00 PM More reviews by avey5

Ughhhhhhhhh. Based on the reviews of how "great" this stuff is, I went out and bought some. "Healthy defense," haha..more like pore clogging disaster. Let me first just say that I was very impressed by the spf 50 but that is all. I am not one to usually post reviews on products but felt I had to warn others who might have the same issue as I did. I have Mediterranean heritage, combo skin, more oily t zone, bigger pores in t zone and overall sensitive skin. I have been searching for so long for a great spf for my face that doesn't break me out, higher spf, and non greasy etc. I put this on my face and ughh, so greasy and smelled like body spf (it probably is just in "face" packaging with a higher price lol). I thought "well it'll prob take a little bit to dry," and I put on my makeup. Mind you I did not use a lot of product. Still felt greasy through the day and I couldn't wait to get the stuff off at the end of the day. I also used some on my neck an chest. Next day: pores were so clogged I could feel little bumps under the skin mostly my t zone especially around my nose. Had a few small breakouts on my neck an chest. It's been over a week and my skin is still recovering from this disastrous crap. I had to get a peel done to just clear out the junk and get semi clear again. So IMHO, if you have my type skin, NO I absolutely DO NOT recommend this product for you and I will continue my search. If you have dryer type skin, I guess this may work for you but Def did not work for me. I should have known better, every neutrogena product I've tried I've usually had an issue with. Sigh, I will use the rest on my hands and body though bc the high spf, so there's a plus. For now I'll stick with PCA skin spf..it works, but I still feel it's too heavy and would like something lighter. Continuing the search. Good luck people :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2013 5:07:00 AM More reviews by rayychell

I am extremely prone to hyper-pigmentation so sunscreen is a definite everyday must for me. I like to use a moisturizer with a high spf as an alternative though as I have found most sunscreens leave a white film reminiscent of the girl from the RIng. I bought this when my Dior UV Shield spf 50 ran out as I am a super broke college student and I really would not like to spend fifty bucks on a tube of anything. This was around 15 bucks in comparison, which is definitely not bad.
Upon application I find that it absorbs decently well and doesn't leave that white film. It does leave my face a bit more greasy/less matte, especially when I layer BB cream on top, But I find this is easily solved by applying powder, which instantly turns the oiliness into a smooth silky finish (it's actually so soft that I am always tempted to rub my hands over my face). I do have normal/dry combination skin though, so a word of caution to those with faces that are more oily. I use this everyday now and so far have not experienced any breakouts or redness from the product. Oddly enough, this one milia I had near my eye (thats been there for almost a year) disappeared a few days after using this product...weird, but I'm not complaining haha.
My only gripe with this (hence the four lippies) is that the directions on the back indicate that users must reapply once every two hours for sunscreen usage...what?...ain't nobody got time for dat! Thus I recommend that along with using this, you should have a backup spf product as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2013 4:31:00 AM More reviews by pascdsa90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I once used a small dab of this on the back of my hand and i was surprised to see it blended really well without leaving that white pasty feeling. 1yr on and im hooked on to it, it does leave a white cast on the face if not blended well and is also sorta thick but ive noticed lesser breakouts and my skin tone has gotten way more even.

hence i love this product and im sticking to it for as long as i can find a much better one.

Also its a little expensive Rs 495 upwards which is like $9 dollars or something. But the best test is that it can withstand the hot Indian sun which is always 29 degree and upwards.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by cheeky

I got this with high hopes. I wanted something to wear under my makeup with a relatively high spf. i have had good luck with neutrogena products in the past so i picked this up. the problem with this is it makes my skin greasy, and this is still with using a matifying powder over my foundation. it doesn't really sting much the way spf usually does on my sensitive skin, but i need something that is a little more mattifying and doesn't make me greasy.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2012 3:55:00 PM More reviews by mallorywouldgo

I have a sample size of this and I really like it. It is not greasy and soaks in wonderfully. It smells like sunscreen initially but the scent goes away quickly which is a huge plus for me. Will definitely repurchase for beach days and other major sun exposure excursions!!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/20/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by evyyhl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have tried many brands of sunscreens from very cheap to high ends and chemical or physical sunscreens (Banana boat, NO-AD, Aveeno, Shiseido, Lancome, La Mer, Trukid, Nature's Gate, etc). Many of the chemical sunscreens burn my face, sting my eyes, or dry out my face. The physical sunscreens give me a white mask look, breakouts, blackheads, and form a very thick and pasty layer on my skin. This is the only sunscreen that my skin can tolerate and does not burn, irritate, or causes breakouts.

It's not greasy and goes on clear (no white mask look). It does make my face slightly shiny but that doesn't bother me. I like the high SPF and the helioplex formulation which is a more stable avobenzene compound. Hence I rate this sunscreen 3 stars.

However, this sunscreen has parabens and many other unknown chemicals that may or may not be harmful for my skin. I feel that although I protect my skin from the sun by using sunscreen, I'm NOT taking care of my skin because I'm putting many unknown chemicals on my face everyday & I don't know the long term consequences. Therefore I take off 2 stars from the rating.

Overall, I would repurchase this sunscreen until I find a better alternative that contains less chemicals & is better for my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2012 3:07:00 PM More reviews by chechi

I bought this because I needed an alternative to the shiseido sunscreen I own. It isn't really an equivalent as it is not mattifying. It does leave a slight sheen/oiliness to the face. But for a drug store product, it does not leave a white cast and it does protect the skin from the sun so I now have multiples of these tubes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by spatterson1

I love it! I tried changing because everyone terrified me that chemical sunscreens were bad for me (but so is everything, it seems) and I hated everything I changed to. I like this because it moisturizes without being greasy and protects my skin.I haven't had a single breakout since using it. I do reapply at lunch every day just to make sure I have coverage for the full day (I don't wear foundation, so this is simple for me). I will only use this from now on, the bottle lasts for quite awhile and it feels really nice going on. love it love it love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 7:29:00 AM More reviews by prettyinbeantown76

I have been using this for the past few days and love it so far!!! I have very sensitive combination skin that can clog up very easily and so have to be very careful of what I use. I truly beleive in a good sunscreen BUT being a mom of 2 I don't have 30 mins a day to apply moisturizer, let it sink in then apply sun block then make up and etc. I need a multitasker.
For the past few years I have been using Aveeno brighteneing spf30 and though I like it I wanted to up the spf a bit as I have noticed that I have tanned and wonder if its really doing a good job. It also does make my tzone oily.
picked this up on a whim and so far its great. No breakouts or clogged pores. keeps my skin matte but moisturized, love that its spf50! and that I can buy it at target.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2012 11:26:00 PM More reviews by vedo4you

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i love neutrogena products and have always come back to them over the years. I have very oily, sensitive, acne prone skin so i'm always worried about breaking out more than i already do. This moisturizer doesn't make me break out at all. my only complain is that it does make my face oily at the end of the day but that's mainly due to my naturally oily skin. I have tried aveeno ultra calming w/ spf 15 and absolutely hated it. it made my acne worse, my skin was waaay oilier and the fragrance was overpowering. so until i find another product that works for me (which i highly doubt) i'm sticking to my neutrogena w/ spf 50. i can handle a little oily skin easily w/ some blotting sheet (i like boscia blotting sheets best) for a product that does exactly what it says it does. my skin is back to being happy again. i will definitely buy again!