November 23, 2014 | 1926 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Konjac Sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2014 8:00:00 AM More reviews by msdixiemom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a review for the konjac sponge. Someone mentioned it on this site-- had never heard if so did some searching-- ended up purchasing an assorted 5 pack on Amazon.
I have sensitive, aging skin and rosacea, but it's also oily and prone to clogged pores. It's difficult to find an exfoliating product that is both gentle AND effective.
I've used the sponge for a week, and while it doesn't FEEL like it is doing anything, it has left my skin remarkably soft, smooth, and glowing--- but not irritated.
So far I'm very pleased-- have only used the plain one-- haven't yet tried the infused sponges with things like charcoal or green tea--- will continue to use and post an update in a month or two.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2014 2:49:00 PM More reviews by laureg

I bought the Charcoal Dr. Sponge Konjac sponge from a health food store a few months ago and really like it. I use it most evenings and love it for exfoliation. I let it soak in warm water while I use a rinse off oil cleanser, rinse my face, then use a tiny dollop of Dove baby wash on the sponge to massage the foam all over my skin. I find the sponge is super gentle and never over-exfoliates, and makes my skin smooth and radiant. I've had the same sponge now for about 2 months, and it's still in great shape with regular use (it isn't breaking down). I also keep my sponge on a plastic soap saver thingy that allows air to circulate all around the sponge so it dries completely, and I've never had a problem (that said, I also live in a very dry climate with low humidity, especially at this time of year, so that could make a difference). I will continue to repurchase.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It dosent do anything for my skin :/

rated 4 of 5 on 9/22/2014 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Iampo0kie

I've been using this on days when I don't do OCM. It's especially great in the mornings for clearing away dead skin before applying makeup. Lightly exfoliating, not irritating in any way (except if you scrub over your eyes...). It doesn't suck up cleanser as much as the clarisonic does. Helps cleanser foam, so it makes my skin feel cleaner. I use the charcoal kind. Not sure if the charcoal does anything, used the sponge without cleanser once and it didn't suck up all my oil. The charcoal also makes it smell funny.

BAD: breaks down after a month or two. Never gets completely clean or dry, so be careful to keep your bathroom clean and mold free or the mold will get in your sponge!

I use this with Garden of Wisdom's tea tree cleanser, which is anti-bacterial and fungal so it helps keep the sponge clean.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2014 2:38:00 AM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I ordered the original white konjac sponge from the Dr. Sponge company after reading so many rave reviews.

Umm, so why exactly is this sponge so great again? Sorry to sound like the jealous ex-girlfriend here, but what do you people see in this sponge that I don't? It just felt like rubbing dimpled plastic on my face and the result wasn't much different. It didn't exfoliate worth jack. In fact, all it did was rub in all the dirt and residue on my face, so that it burrowed into my pores even more. Face did not feel clean whatsoever, with or without cleanser. This sponge is overrated and no I am not going to keep wasting money and trying 50 different companies' konjac sponges. I'm not doubting that this worked for some people, as I see great reviews. However, I believe that this is another fad product that will be off the market in another 6 mo- 1 year once another dud product comes into popularity. Moving along now...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 2:38:00 AM More reviews by yolanda71

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I learned for this sponge accidentally. I bought it and i am completely satisfied. I use it alone for gentle exfoliation or with liquid facial soap for a deep cleaning. It helps me a lot with my rough skin (due dermatitis). I saw big improvement. I use it daily. I bought it from hqhair.com.
I will buy it again because it became stable product for my beauty routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by elajean

I almost love these entirely.

I use the French Pink Clay Konjac sponge from MyKonjac. I use two, actually, to alternate so that each has time to dry between uses. This is because I learned the hard way: if you don't let the babies dry completely, they start to smell like an old dish rag pretty quickly. This is one thing I hate about it. The other thing is that I can't hang them in my bathroom because the ventilation sucks, so I have to hang them in my bedroom and they're not exactly pretty. But doubling up and decorating the house with them is totally worth it because of the results.

I cleanse with just water and my konjac sponge in the AM. It exfoliates just enough to get any dead skins cells my skin may have shed in the night off of my face and leaves my otherwise tired, dull, dehydrated skin looking polished, bright and feeling INCREDIBLY SOFT. This is the key, right here - I have NEVER felt my skin this soft before Konjac. It's like silk. I highly recommend using the konjac sponge with water alone in the AM.. get the grime off at night and this is all you'll need. Of course it can also be used with a cleanser.

And MORE: I swear this speeds up the lightening of red marks left from my blemishes. I strategically use vitamin C serums and honey and turmeric masks and AHAs and I wear my sunblock like a good little lady, and these things all help in time, but get a Konjac sponge and watch those things just fade fast! And this might make the Konjac sound kinda harsh - it's NOT, Konjac sponges are the softest! Fear not, baby-sensitive skin, even you can handle this!

So IN A NUTSHELL: Konjac is a very useful tool for gentle, soap-free cleansing and mild exfoliation that helps to SOFTEN SOFTEN SOFTEN, brighten, and even out the skin tone.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by Turtleonfire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Unfortunately this has brought me out in itchy lumps under the skin-surface.
I got a green one directly from Hong Kong via ebay. I was mostly interested in removing dead skin cells from the surface of my skin which don't seem to shift with normal cleansing or my mild exfoliating cream.

I love how Konjac feels to use and am fascinated by the squidgy, slimyness of it! The first 3 times found it made my skin temporarily glow but stay lovely, smoother and a bit shiny - polished. My fiance commented on how good my skin looked. By the time I'd left the bathroom my skin would feel a bit dry so I'd quickly put moisturizer on.

Unfortuntely after the fourth use I woke up with bumps under my skin. Some of them went red after the fifth use and I woke up with an itchy, bumpy face. I've stopped using it (for 24 hours so far) and they're still there and itchy.

My facial skin normally tolerates different products, but it doesn't seem to like this. I don't know if I had a dud one or it reacts wierdly to my moisturizer (Olay regenerist), but I'd say don't try this out before a major function like a party or a wedding!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by Luuuna

I was beyond skeptical when i first saw this funny little sponge. Based solely on its appearance, i thought it was just another useless so-called cleaning facial tool. Before i was using this product, i was using a high-end chemical peel that claims to exfoliate your skin, brightens it blah blah and it is really, really pricey. Believe it or not, this sponge actually does more than that high-end chemical peel! Yes,shocking, i know.

Please bear in mind that I am by no means saying that this sponge is a miracle product and it works on everyone's skin but in all honesty this sponge makes my face silky smooth, brightens, even out my skin tone and it doesn't break me out. I used to clean my face with this sponge very morning and night but found out that it was a bit too harsh so now i only use it every night. This sponge is now an integral part of my skincare regimen.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2014 5:10:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this based on good reviews. I gave it a try for a few nights but I'm not crazy about it. I find it has no scrubbing action at all. A small face brush or Buf-puf type of scrubber will both do more to deep clean the skin. It simply isn't worth the hassle. You rinse it, wash your face with it, rinse it and hang to dry. It always feel slightly slimy and it's not really helping with my deep cleansing at all. Note: I threw it out after a few weeks. Useless!