October 24, 2014 | 1633 users online

Hair Styling Tools - GHD - Air Hair Professional hairdryer

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by bul79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have long, very dry, puffy, highlighted hair. My old hairdryer was on it's last legs and scorching my head so I did some research (before parting with 99!) and read that the GHD Air does seem to smooth your hair down so I went for it. It arrives beautifully packaged, with 2 nozzles.

I have only used it once but my hair feels so light and straight, it feels like it's been blowdried at the salon. I did see someone say online that it was so good that they can now skip the straighteners and I see what they mean.

It is slightly heavier than other dryers but not too much to bother me and it's not too noisy. The cord is nice and long too.

I'm over the moon as I'm constantly trying to 'flatten' down my puffy hair and I didn't need to use any product after blowdrying with this. I have been able to leave my hair alone all day for once.

It has completely changed the look and shape of my hair (usually when I wash it in the day, it poofs up unless I wash and dry it at night and sleep on it to calm it down). My husband commented on how nice it looked. Obviously it can't reverse the damage I have done though years of highlights but it does smooth it down so much. Something I am always trying to do with styling products.

It is expensive but you get what you pay for and seeing as I will be using it 4 times a week, it will pay for itself over and over again.

Probably my holy grail hair tool. Highly recommended.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A lot of hype, but not a blow drier to be particularly impressed about... Sure it has all the latest features, (that however almost all blows driers have today, high end or low end...). That is, the ionic and ceramic techniques that promises to take better care for the hair by closing the hairs haft faster possibly locking in a bit of moisture into the hairshaft. It has a long chord, three heat settings, cold, medium and really hot, two levels of power and so on... And the design for the eyes is exquisite! It is by far the best looking blow drier I have ever seen! ;)

However a note on those newer techniques... They have a way of making it sound as if the blow drier actually is going to improve the hairs quality. Which of course is not true!! Excessive heat styling will damage the hair! The best thing you can do to prevent the hair from damaging is by not using hot air or hot irons and such stuff... which should go without saying, but with modern marketing rhetoric it is easy to get a bit fooled... If you like to style your hair with heat, like most of us do, then using it sparingly and not every day combined with really good hair caring products and don't bleach or color the hair excessively brings for most of us a working balance. And also to pay attention to changes in hair quality to prevent too much damage. Especially if you have long hair.

I got the ghd air through a deal where I also got their new eclipse styler, while on the lookout to replace my trusty Parlux blow drier that has serviced me for more than 15 years! So I decided a bit impulsively to dare switch brands...

However this drier is a bit of a disappointment! First of all 2100 watts is not much to boast about in itself... An engine can be really powerful but if what it is running is not functioning well the power in itself doesn't matter... In comparison with my old drier, that runs 1740 watts, this still with all of it's watts falls short in capacity. My old drier simply produces more pressure in the air, bringing a stronger blowing effect, which dries the hair faster with less heat needed.

The ghd does get extremely hot! Both to touch around the nozzle and also very hot for the hair. And at the same time with a bit of a lame blowing effect. I have come to the conclusion that it runs best at medium heat and full blow. But that still dries my hair slower compared to my old drier and leaves my hair feeling less soft and a tad bit more damaged and in need of more calming finishing products post blow drying... And then keep in mind that this one sports the new ionic technique that supposedly should protect my hair more! That may be in theory, but in practice that is not true! It also produces more frizz! Presumebly due to the elevated heat that is hard for the hair to take in combination with the air... But that is just a guess... I can only speak from the effect I see and feel in my hair...

It is also quite heavy to hold and not as well balanced like my old Parlux. And the buttons are not as easily accessible while working as with my old parlux... You sort of need to look at what you are doing, since the difference is so subtle to the touch... Also the cooling button on the front side of the handle is unnecessarily tough to push and hold in...

So for me this is a miss! If looking for a truly great hair drier I would way more recommend looking at Parlux new 385 version or even their older 3800 version, or truly if the ghd is the one you are weighing against, I would say any old Palux you will find will be way better... Less hype, but just simply better engineering! I will for sure replace my ghd, as soon as my cash-flow is restored after the holiday season... :)

How this drier compares to other and perhaps less high end brands, I don't know. This is of course not an all bad hair drier to be avoided at all costs! In comparison to it's high end competitor Parlux, it is however not as good! But compared to less professional brands it might hold it's ground...

In conclusion, I will never again buy a blow drier without being able to try it out, at least feel it in my hand, test the different levels and feel how hot it gets and so on... A blow drier is supposed to become a trusted companion in ones beauty arsenal... Not something you struggle with! So choose carefully, and don't just judge by it's cover...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by LookingGood85

I treated myself to the "Pink Blossom" version, the black hair dryer with e pink accents and heatproof carry bag. It cost me 99 from Selfridges, 10 of which goes to breast cancer charity.
Anyhow, I have LUSTED after this since it was first released! And while I had some spare cash, and my old 7 year old hair dryer was now just blowing cold air (literally lol) I took the plunge and invested in this beauty. Let me say, I've never used such an amazing, lightweight and fast hair dryer EVERRRRRRR!! Hair was blasted dry within a minute (shoulder length bob!!)! It comes with two concentrator nozzles for when more styling is to be done, but I've not used them yet. I'm in awe of this thing and totally in love!

So, worth it's price tag?? Absolutely!!!!!!!