April 19, 2014 | 1761 users online

Eye Shadow - Stila - In The Know Palette

rated 3 of 5 on 4/11/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by makeupjenn

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

before purchasing I searched this palette like crazy and watched videos and really did my research before going to sephora and swatching and eventually purchasing this palette. first off it's a very expensive palette in my opinion (50$ cdn) but I wanted something all matte and neutrals and I'd heard great things about stila eyeshadows. this is not a horrible palette, the colours are very nice being more of pinky/orange based neutrals along with dark browns and greys, although it is a bit chalky and may not last verrrry long....I don't personally recommend this palette I would have liked to have maybe tried the Lorac pro, but over all it's very nice colors and quite a few options, although the colors are all very similar, so maybe not your sole palette. don't regret it, but will not re purchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by java752002

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

love the creaminess of these shadows. would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2014 3:59:00 PM More reviews by HGL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I just uploaded the ingredient list here for any who are interested. I tried this the other day at Ulta and was about to buy it as part of the 21 days of beauty special ($20, what a steal!) but decided to look up the ingredients and decided against it.

On the upside, the colors are really great and unlike Lorac Pro and most other palettes, does not lean towards the red browns as much. The colors are more neutral, which works better for my skin tone. I was pleasantly surprised by how great the bright orange color ("Fire") looked in the crease. I normally wear only neutrals and would not have expected this to look subtle enough, but it did. I put the gray smudge pot on the lid, which was slightly heavy and dramatic, probably better to use the gray shadow for day and then Fire in the crease and it was a great color combo for blue-green hazel eyes. No fallout. Great blending.

The downside, which caused me to decide against it, is that the shadows contain not only bismuth and aluminum, but also PTFE, better known as Teflon. Now, I know there is no proof it is harmful to humans but the stuff kills birds who inhale it when pans are heated, and anyway, I would just not put that on my eyes. Maybe that is why some reviewers complained of eye irritation? Too weird for me. I'm a natural, organic least toxic kind of gal and just can't get onboard with putting something like that on my eyes on a daily basis.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2014 1:27:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am so in love with this palette. This clearly trounced my Christian dior, Chanel, Clarins and Laura Mercier eyeshadows hands down. First of all, it is matte and just perfect for my aging eyelids and the colors are so pigmentated and gives you long lasting wear. I don't have any favorite color and I just love each and every colors equally and the price is so affordable.
I just can't rave and rant about this and this will be the only palette I will bring on my holidays.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2014 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Esmerelda55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this palette 6 months ago and have used it steadily since then. Although I use some of the colors more than others, I've used every color semi-regularly.
Matte shadows! All of them! Woohoo! I have aging eyes, so, although I love those sparkly, shimmering shadows, I can't wear them.
The red one (fire) was what pushed me over the edge to purchase it. What a great color.. who knew?! I put a touch of it below my bottom lashes, just to the outer side of center and it does something very cool to my hazel eyes.
I use the black to go over my liquid liner.. it's just the right black to soften it just the way I like.
But, my most fave is the grey! I do browns on my lid, maybe a little color, then put the grey as on about 1/3 of my bottom lid just below the lashes. It just is very cool looking. There's something about that grey below the browns that gives everything more depth and oomph. Love it!
I don't mind the packaging.. I like it just fine.
I have never used the smudge stick... mine is broken and won't twist up, but I probably wouldn't use it anyway.
My only complaint is that I do find some specks on my cheek after wearing it awhile. Plus, the powder I put on the bottom lash doesn't last. I don't use a primer there, so suspect that may have something to do with that.
I would love, love, love to see them do another all matte palette in some wonderful summer colors. If they do, I'm in all the way.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was disappointed in this palette. The looks are all achievable with 3-4 mattes you can get in almost any brand. It's a lot of shadows for $39, but in practical terms too much for the looks you can get.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by scareyj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is simply a lovely palette. These shadows are soft and descently pigmented. I'll be 40 in a couple of months and I have realized that matte eyeshadows don't emphasize lid creases as much as shimmery ones. I do still love my shimmery eyeshadows. But, this is a nice, versatile matte palette.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2013 3:43:00 AM More reviews by greenobsession

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Why aren't there more reviews for this?

Anyway. This is the perfect. neutral. matte. palette. ever. I am not kidding. I have been looking a lot into matte palettes before I bought this one - Meet Matt(e) did not appeal to me, Too Faced's Matte Palette looked super dull. I settled on this one. It had such perfect colours for everyday and such earthy tones - in fact, even the names are earthy!

I reach for this more that I reach for my Naked 1. I have just been into matte eye looks lately.

Let me just say that that one orange shade - Fire - is so freaking versatile? You don't even need to use it as an overall lid colour. Add a tiny tiny smidgen of it on a blending brush if you feel like your shadows are too cool or looking a little blah - and I promise you, this shade will brighten and warm up any look instantly. Fire is such a fitting name. It's such a standout shade.

Only downside (not for me though) is that this palette is predominantly very, very neutral except for the orange If you love colour, this is not for you. The colours here are basically shades of white, cream, shades of brown, black, grey and an orange.

Oh. Staying power. I can't comment on it since my eyelids DO NOT FORGIVE ANYTHING! I always wear a combo of UDPP + Soft Ochre paint pot as soon as I found out it stopped the crazy shadow creasing. But these are my lids' fault.

Anyway, if you're looking for an all-matte, neutral, everyday palette - this is it. Look no further.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2013 2:30:00 AM More reviews by hautevita

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

great for day- night. sophisticated matte colors, cant go wrong. perfect for creasings. i'd say this is better for day time/office/ school or lunch...might want to go for naked palette for night time as naked is more pigmented. stila is not as pigmented (when one takes a picture, it is not as wow bam as naked shows up on camera). packaging isnt very luxurious/high end...almost juvenile looking..but it stays at home/travel. great price for all the colors. slim packaging which is a plus just cheap cardboard. overall, would purchase again as it is a staple and goes on beautifully and the results are polished.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 1:45:00 PM More reviews by blackberries

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this palette. It's an all-matte earthy eyeshadow palette. The names of the eyeshadows are Earth, Wind, Fire.. etc. On the palette, the colors range from beige to dark browns. On the eyes, these colors create the most natural, smokey look. There's a hint of warm undertones in these shadows, bringing out the color on my Asian skin.

The scary brick red color turned out to be absolutely gorgeous and easy-to-wear! I put it all over on my small Asian-eye crease, and the bright orange brick color brings out my skin. AND YEP, I wore this to work!

This is my HG palette. For that, I'd be totally open to ALL Stila palettes!!