October 21, 2014 | 1211 users online

Polishes - Essie - Stylenomics

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this color. It's a deep dark forest green that is so dark it almost looks black but it's a soft look and not as harsh and cold as black is to wear. Even though this is a dusty/muted/muffled/softened green it seems to be neutral on me and not harsh and cold at all. This is a fantastic color for fall and it's rich and creamy and the formula is so nice to paint with. The polish has a great consistency and it's not thin or watery and covers completely in 2 easy coats. This does not streak or drag and it goes on evenly. I loved using this formula. While I really love this color and want to love this polish, I only painted my nails last evening and already not even 24 hours later I have small chips on the edges and/or corners of 5 nails and very noticible tip wear and I do wrap/cap the tips with every coat of polish I apply. So not even 1 full day in and I am already having to fix chips and the tip wear. Considering this polish is $9 I expected a much better performance than this. Color me very disappointed because I really love the formula and the color is so pretty on and perfect for fall/winter.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/10/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by ASH1337

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was a bit disappointed in this polish. Online and in the bottle, this seems like a dangerously dark and interesting shade of green. However, when I painted it on my hands, it just turned black and only under very direct sunlight can you see hints of green. I feel that the advertisements were very misleading. Also, this polish stains like crazy even with a base coat. I will continue using this just because it's so similar to black (one of my favorite polish colors).

Despite being so dark, it wasn't completely opaque in one coat for me. It's also super glossy even without a top coat, so I suppose that's a good thing about this polish...

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by Catpanter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE THIS POLISH! Really one of my favorites. I wish every polish would have this formula. Opaque in one coat, super easy to apply, love the colour. It does look look almost-black on the nail, but that doesn't bother me at all. I cannot believe it's rating is only 3,6 lippies.. That makes me sad :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

I like this color. It goes great against my medium olive skin. I would say I have a great eye for color recognition. I really don't see this as a forest green at all. I notice reviewers were disappointed because they thought the shade would be more like forest green. This is a blackened teal. It looks like a blackened teal in the bottle as well as on the nail. There are no warm tones this color. I got exactly what I was expecting and I'm very happy with the color. This particular shade is pigmented so you only should be doing one coat. No complaints and will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by yangxx2

I would definitely look up swatches on this before buying--the color in the ad and even in the bottle is not accurate. I was looking for a deep forest green, and wanted exactly the color the ad showed. Unfortunately it's much more black than green. Under fluorescent lighting, it looks more like a blue-black than a green-black (almost like over-ripe blueberries). I can see the green only in very bright, natural light.
That's the reason it has 4 lippies instead of 5. It applies very nicely and really only needs 1 coat. It's a perfect fall color, especially if you're going for the "vampy" look. Holds up pretty well too, although like most dark colors, it does wear away more easily than lighter ones.
It doesn't stain your nails too badly, but 2 coats of basecoat will take care of that completely.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by fancy2287

I was really disappointed in the color. You need 2 coats which makes this color appear black instead of dark green. I liked Armed and Ready more for a more dark teal color.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by listenlikethieves

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

As others have said, this is a beautiful black polish. Alas, that's what I have Essie "Licorice" for. One coat of this was the bottle color, which is really beautiful, but it wasn't quite opaque enough to wear as-is. The formula and wear are great, I just wish it were the color it's supposed to be at the normal two coats.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by underage

Like the previous reviews I was a little disappointed with the color. It is definitely more of a black with slight green undertone. The formula is great. Very opaque and lasts a while without chipping. I know I will use the color since its in my collection but I wouldn't recommend it to others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Kat2004

Yes...as the reviewers below mentioned, this is very dark almost black. It's exactly what I wanted and the formula applies very nicely...you could get away with one good coat with this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2012 2:49:00 PM More reviews by beetlegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The good things about this polish: The formula is great. You could get away with one coat and be fine, but I like to do two, just to cover up any spaces I missed. As others have said, that second coat is where things go sour.

The bad: I've seen editorial photos of this polish, and they're very misleading. The photos make the polish appear to be dark green. In reality the color is more like a green-tinted black. I'm rather disappointed with this color. I'm wondering what would happen if you were to layer it over a white base.

Regardless, I'm interested in checking out the rest of this collection.