September 2, 2014 | 1681 users online

Polishes - Essie - Stylenomics

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by Catpanter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE THIS POLISH! Really one of my favorites. I wish every polish would have this formula. Opaque in one coat, super easy to apply, love the colour. It does look look almost-black on the nail, but that doesn't bother me at all. I cannot believe it's rating is only 3,6 lippies.. That makes me sad :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

I like this color. It goes great against my medium olive skin. I would say I have a great eye for color recognition. I really don't see this as a forest green at all. I notice reviewers were disappointed because they thought the shade would be more like forest green. This is a blackened teal. It looks like a blackened teal in the bottle as well as on the nail. There are no warm tones this color. I got exactly what I was expecting and I'm very happy with the color. This particular shade is pigmented so you only should be doing one coat. No complaints and will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by yangxx2

I would definitely look up swatches on this before buying--the color in the ad and even in the bottle is not accurate. I was looking for a deep forest green, and wanted exactly the color the ad showed. Unfortunately it's much more black than green. Under fluorescent lighting, it looks more like a blue-black than a green-black (almost like over-ripe blueberries). I can see the green only in very bright, natural light.
That's the reason it has 4 lippies instead of 5. It applies very nicely and really only needs 1 coat. It's a perfect fall color, especially if you're going for the "vampy" look. Holds up pretty well too, although like most dark colors, it does wear away more easily than lighter ones.
It doesn't stain your nails too badly, but 2 coats of basecoat will take care of that completely.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by fancy2287

I was really disappointed in the color. You need 2 coats which makes this color appear black instead of dark green. I liked Armed and Ready more for a more dark teal color.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by listenlikethieves

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

As others have said, this is a beautiful black polish. Alas, that's what I have Essie "Licorice" for. One coat of this was the bottle color, which is really beautiful, but it wasn't quite opaque enough to wear as-is. The formula and wear are great, I just wish it were the color it's supposed to be at the normal two coats.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by underage

Like the previous reviews I was a little disappointed with the color. It is definitely more of a black with slight green undertone. The formula is great. Very opaque and lasts a while without chipping. I know I will use the color since its in my collection but I wouldn't recommend it to others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Kat2004

Yes...as the reviewers below mentioned, this is very dark almost black. It's exactly what I wanted and the formula applies very nicely...you could get away with one good coat with this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2012 2:49:00 PM More reviews by beetlegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

The good things about this polish: The formula is great. You could get away with one coat and be fine, but I like to do two, just to cover up any spaces I missed. As others have said, that second coat is where things go sour.

The bad: I've seen editorial photos of this polish, and they're very misleading. The photos make the polish appear to be dark green. In reality the color is more like a green-tinted black. I'm rather disappointed with this color. I'm wondering what would happen if you were to layer it over a white base.

Regardless, I'm interested in checking out the rest of this collection.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by brk008

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My disappointment with the color itself came when I saw the actual bottle, not when I put it on. In the promos, it looks like a rich, forest green. In the bottle, it looks like a dark grayish green almost-black, which, unsurprisingly, it looks like on your nails. As one blogger wrote, you can tell it's not black, but you can't really tell what color it is.

I took off 1 lippy for that, however, I don't think the polish should be judged too harshly because it was misrepresented in an ad. If you're looking for an "on-the-money, opulent green shade", you will be disappointed. However, if you're looking for a softer alternative to black with dark green undertones, you will be pleased.

The formula is spot on- I put on a second coat, but depending on how anal or pressed for time you are, one would be sufficient. The polish dries to a glossy, shellac like finish. I put on a topcoat for extra chip protection, but again, depending on how anal or pressed for time you are, you could skip the topcoat.

PS- Fellow Manhattanites, I suggest you stop by Optima Beauty on John St between Broadway and Nassau. It's a little hole in the wall, but Essies are $6, OPI $7 and it's an additional 10% off before 10am. (Disclosure: I have no affiliation with Optima Beauty whatsoever, except that I stop in there to buy a new polish at least once a week).