July 22, 2014 | 1300 users online

Eyes - Lancome - XL primer for lashes

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2013 11:59:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

I have used 4 lash primers and only the waterproof version in L'Oreal's Double Extend mascara & primer (light blue & white packaging) worked well for my "Asian" lashes. The others I have used are all high end, by Dior, Lancome and Tarte, but non-waterproof, and they all made my lashes droop and lose the curl immediately. When I checked the ingredients, I found that these are mostly made with water and less wax, while L'Oreal's primer was made more with wax and less water, and it all made sense that it would hold the curl of lashes better.

I think of the three high-end primers, I disliked Lancome's the most because it's stupid brush wouldn't even apply the product very well on to my lashes. Either that, or the formula wouldn't adhere to my lashes. And once I got some on my lashes, like the Dior and the tarte primers, the Lancome primer would weigh my lashes down and immediately make them droop. If you are willing to take the risk of letting the lashes droop with this primer, add mascara to your drooping lashes and then curl them again with yoru lash curler, you might have big lashes that stay up, so you can try it. But I found when I tried this that my lashes were pointing in all sorts of weird directions, looking spidery and crunchy and "crimped" where the curler had folded my lashes. I know lots of people do it, but I really believe it is not good for your lashes and you can damage them if you curl them with the typical curler after you've applied mascara already.

I'm going to add here that I really no longer feel the need to use lash primers any more now that I use the fantastic Maybelline Colossal Cat Eyes mascara in waterproof along with Rapidlash that helped grow my lashes to a certain extent. The Cat Eyes in waterproof adheres to my lashes, defining, lengthening and volumizing them as well as holding the curl quite miraculously without flaking and very minimal smudging.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 12:54:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my go-to, everyday use lash primer, knocking Dior's primer out of the top spot. This one blows the rest of the primers away. It lengthens and thickens just the right amount. Where it really earns its keep is in the staying power it provides: it holds onto mascara and doesn't let go! Smearing and smudges are minimized considerably when I use this. It makes mascara last so well that it's actually a little difficult to remove at the end of the day...fortunately for me, the Oil Cleansing Method breaks it down and whisks it away.

The trick to lash primer is to do one eye at a time: apply the primer, and before the primer dries, apply a coat (or two) of mascara. Then a quick comb through, repeat the process on the other eye, and I'm all set!

I've actually never bought a full-size tube--between Sephora and Lancome, I've gotten so many samples of this primer stocked up that I don't need to buy a full-size one for quite a while. But I WILL purchase it when I have to!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by JudiWickham

I have not used a ton of eyelash primers. However, this is my favorite. Makes for a dramatic effect when used under your favorite mascara. Easy to remove when you are ready.