April 18, 2014 | 1435 users online

Sunscreen - Banana Boat - Natural Reflect SPF 50+ Broad Spectrum Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2013 3:53:00 PM More reviews by kalliope

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I just dug this out of a bag I took to India in December so I could pack it for an upcoming trip to Arizona. This is my favorite physical sunscreen for the body. (I haven't tried it on my face due to not being sure about the silicones.)

Compared to the other drugstore physical-only blockers I've tried (Neutrogena, etc.), this one blends in *much* more easily and doesn't remain tacky or transfer to clothing. I didn't get any noticeable color while walking around sightseeing all day, so it seems pretty effective.

My only wish is that they sold it in a 3oz size to make it air travel compliant without having to transfer it to my own container.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by curlykat

I love this product. I've tried so many sunscreens and this is wonderful. I'll list why:
Price - can't beat it
Effectiveness - it works - I used this at the beach and my face and neck got no sun from this
Bonus - works as a primer
This is a thick product and when you initially put it on you will freak out. It comes out like a paste and is very white. But put on the appropriate amount - don't skip and blend. Some people have complained at how long you have to blend. I timed it and it was only for 1.5 minutes. The trick is to walk away for 10 minutes after you've blended it in completely. Come back later and apply your makeup. I was not shiny or greasy at all - and I have combination skin. This works almost like a primer. I absolutely love it and use it on my face and neck daily.
My foundation of choice is neutrogena healthy glow sheers, and almay 3 in 1 concealer. After I apply those two there is no shine or grease all day nor is there a white cast.
For the price try it - what harm can it do - I love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been testing this SS for a week, using the recommend amount of 1/4 tsp on my face and neck. My skin is oily and sensitive but not acne prone. Before I put on my sunscreen, I use an anti-oxidant toner or MAC's prep + prime Skin Brightening Serum, both of which are very lightly moisturizing and perfect for oily skin. Why am I telling you this? Because I think it's important for people to know what is under the sunscreen, since use of several products on the skin at once can cause added oiliness, breakouts, etc and will affect how they feel about using this sunscreen as part of their beauty regimen.

In my opinion, I think this is a very nice physical/mineral sunscreen option for any skin type. The actives are Titanium Dioxide (2.8%), Zinc Oxide (4%). When applying this sunscreen, you do have to rub it in and wait about 5-10 minutes before you put makeup on. This leaves no white cast, does not sting or irritate eyes and does not "ball up" like a lot of sunscreens do when lots of rubbing in is required. Again, no white cast!!! That is pretty awesome since most physical SS do give that white look.

After ten minutes, There is a slight sheen and it does feel a tiny bit tacky/sticky but not greasy or heavy. Since I have oily skin my preferred daily makeup routine is to spot conceal and then powder foundation (I used MAC Studio Fix). This eliminated any shine and my skin felt baby soft and the tiny bit of stickiness from the SS disappeared. Since most ladies like to wear liquid foundation, I tested this for one day wearing liquid foundation over this SS and it seemed to work well, did not cause foundation to look streaky, products seems to blend well together. I would recommend a mattifying liquid foundation, unless you have dry skin.

If you are searching for a physical SS, I think this is worth checking out!! There is a baby version of this as well, but it seems to be more thick/greasy in my opinion. Finding a truly matte zinc based sunscreen is hard, especially if you don't want to have to buy online and need something readily available at the drugstore. This is about 4oz. for $9 and it comes in a slim tube. I will re-purchase this, it's not prefect but it's pretty close for a physical sunscreen that isn't expensive.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No