September 18, 2014 | 2020 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Nourish Me

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2014 4:02:00 PM More reviews by Kaffeesansmilch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have always had a problem with my nails peeling and splitting. I always use hand cream and keep my nails polished to minimize it as much as I can, but these aren't real solutions. I bought this base coat in the hopes that it would allow me to have "natural" nails from time to time and help them to grow. I tried it on its own first, and my nails were back to their usual peeling and splitting routine in about a day. Complete fail. I used it as a base coat after that, and it worked fine, maybe even helped my polish stay on a bit longer. My nails had become quite yellowed by the time I bought this (I had been using Butter London's Nail Foundation as my base coat ) and one of the first things I noticed about it is that it really bleached out my nails, and kept them from getting stained. Would I purchase again? No, because I'm still looking for a product that will actually keep my nails from splitting and peeling.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 1:33:00 PM More reviews by MsHepburn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Nourish Me is a base coat that is supposed to care for your nails.

I'm a bit torn on this one... I love Essie polishes, and their colours and top coats are great. Also I have been very happy with the wear I got out of my Essie polishes, all of them stayed put and pretty for about a week. So if that's down to this base coat, then great. However, the last time I wore Bordeaux with this underneath, my nails had stained pretty badly from the red... So I guess somehow it had still gotten through. Funnily enough the only reason I could actually SEE the stains was because my nails had grown about 1 mm since putting it on :) which is a sign it truly staid put for quite a while.

So I am not really sure about this, I think I need to shop around and see what other base coats are out there. Heard Sally Hansen is good so might try that next, If I DON'T find anything that also provides a week of wear but also prevents staining, then I will buy this again.