July 24, 2014 | 2125 users online

Polishes - Essie - Skirting the Issue

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by margokissy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So! This is typically a color that is unappealing to me in the bottle, not something I would buy. It looks like it has the tendency to be one of those almost-black polishes, which I almost-hate.

I received this in a Cult Cosmetics Blackbox (I think October) and hadn't bothered to put it on until now. The other colors (Orly Pink Pixel and Color Club Angel Kiss) were way cooler. But, it is not almost-black! It looks dark red in nearly all lights.

It is jelly-ish, sheer, and streaky. Some of my nails look darker than others. Next time I apply this polish, I will be more mindful of that.

The great thing about this polish is that its formula allows it to not have basically immediate tip-wear like a lot of other dark polishes. Another plus is...you can layer a glitter in between coats, and the glitter will turn red, perfectly accenting the polish.

Taking all of these things into consideration, I'd have to say it's actually my favorite dark red that I have.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2013 11:08:00 AM More reviews by beachesatnormandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this polish on sale at TJ Maxx, and I'm glad I bought it on sale. It is a terrible formula, even though the color is so beautiful. The polish is a jelly dark red shade that is perfect for fall. It is terribly streaky, and doesn't apply evenly at all. It has chipped after 24 hours and seems to get less even as time goes on, if that is even possible. I used two coats of it and it seemed pretty opaque, but they were thicker coats. I topped it with Seche for reference. This polish is a color I'd love to have in my collection but the formula is god awful.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2013 9:20:00 AM More reviews by periwinklebow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love the colour of this polish, but I cannot really get past the bad formula. I have gotten this colour done a few times and it lasts a long time and looks fantastic, but once I did it myself I had a hard time. It goes on very thin (which is understandable for a jelly), but gave me a lot of bald spots and kept erasing itself. This is a good colour if you have a lot of experience in nail painting!

UPDATE

I wrote this review almost a year ago, and this has become one of my favourite polishes. It took me a few times to truly figure out how to apply this, but you have to use thinner coats to get this to work well. It stays on really well and looks great with a shinier top coat. This is a really good colour if you love wearing deeper reds, or are looking to add one to your collection. This is slightly lighter than Essie 'Wicked'.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2013 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am undecided about this one. I love the color. The red / jelly finish is so beautiful- the undertone is perfect for my neutral skin tone. I hate the formula and brush. Don't get your cuticles, because even if you clean them up they will still be terribly stained. Went on so messy and gloopy I added a holo flakie topcoat which looks great over this shade. Will probably keep as a mixer for others, or bring to the salon when I get my nails done. Too much of a PITA do put on myself.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/20/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by michellekim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This colour is gorgeous and so shiny (I didn't even bother with a topcoat), but application is tricky and required 4 coats. I've always been really skilled at applying my nail polish but if you're one of those girls who don't have a steady hand, don't bother purchasing this or purchase it but take it to your manicurist. The finished result is beautiful, and it's an oxblood, vampy colour that's perfect for fall.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2012 3:05:00 PM More reviews by sherpa

I really love this colour. It reminds me of the deep red of a candy apple, but changes depending on the light. As others have mentioned, the formula isn't great to work with - it's really thin and took me three coats to get anywhere near opacity. I could have probably gone for one more coat, but I'm lazy am not generally a fan of polishes that take me more than two coats. For that reason, I wouldn't repurchase, but I do enjoy the colour enough that I'll keep using this one. As for the packaging, it's a typical Essie brush - I really like them and find them easy to work with on my fairly small nails, but I think that just comes down to personal preference.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2012 8:30:00 AM More reviews by glorianaf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous Color. Difficult formula. I just got this as part of the Stylenomics Fall 2012 Collection and was excited about wearing it. Just as many bloggers and previous reviewers have said, the formula is just difficult to apply. It is a jelly so it's sheer and if you are looking to achieve the bottle color it will take several coats. I stopped at 2 moderately thickish coats as I had gotten it to look opaque enough and frankly, I had run out of patience with the formula. Beautiful on and and very high shine but a lot of monkey business and probably would not repurchase.
UPDATE: I came back to add a lippy and say that I WOULD in fact repurchase because of the amazing wear of this polish. I have the kind of nails that chip almost immediately after a manicure, by about the 24 hour mark. I am happy to report that 72 hours in I am almost completely chip free. YAY!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by xmashax

Skirting the Issue is a vampy deep blood red polish from the stylenomics collection. This is a perfect color for fall/winter! I bought my bottle for $8.99 CND.

The formula is pretty thin and it takes about 3 coats to get the bottle color. Drying time is pretty good and the jelly finish gives off a high shine! This polish doesn't chip easy and lasts a pretty long time. However, it does tend to shrink on my nails which is annoying.

I would repurchase because the deep vampy color is just fantastic and goes will with my NC35 skin tone. The polish shrinking on nails, and thin formula is annoying though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2012 9:31:00 AM More reviews by FiestyFemme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had been seeing all over the internet about oxblood being one of the pantone colors for the fall, so when I ran across Essie's new fall collection, I was so excited to see Skirting The Issue! I love a dark, vampy red for fall, even better that it's a jelly finish. I'm not sure if I just got a better bottle or what, but mine was easy too apply, opaque in two coats, just beautiful. I'm really happy to have this in my collection! I don't have anything else quite like it, and I know I'm going to get a lot of use out of it this fall and winter.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by sristeter

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Brush is too skinny. Color is too transparent. On first coat, looks like a nail tint from the 80s. Was hoping for a vampy color like it appears to be in the bottle. :/