September 17, 2014 | 1983 users online

Hair Color - Zotos Age Beautiful Demi Permanent

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by ashleyford

I struggled between three and four stars on this one. In essence, once you get out of box dye, you know you're USUALLY getting at least a decent product. So I do hold non-box dyes to a higher standard. I have only had the color on for a couple days so I can't comment on staying power yet, but I will try to remember to update this to let you guys know. I put four at first but when realizing how much longer the "cons" list was, I decided to switch it to three. It's good, but just not quite good enough or enough pros being a professional level dye for me to be super wow'd. I think there are some box dyes that are just as good. For reference I used their developer that goes with this specific dye, and the box says on the inside to ONLY use their demi developer (because it's only 6 volume, and most demis call for 10) so make sure you pick that up from Sally's or wherever. It's a 1:1 ratio so the small bottle of developer will do two 2oz tubes of this dye.

PROS:
1. It's definitely got a good amount of blue in it for blue black because the dye turns navy as you mix it.
2. The consistency is great and easy to apply, and it's really easy to put a cap on and smoosh it around if you're doing all over color and you're afraid you missed some spots in the back, so this is a great dye if you're doing an all over color by yourself at home.
3. At least in my case (maybe because I took a bit applying the dye though), I didn't even have to leave it on for the 20 minutes it said. I took a baby wipe and checked my hair after 15 minutes and could tell it was already jet black, so I went ahead and rinsed it out to avoid making the demi a permanent.

CONS:
1. The smell is okay. Not horrible, not great. Just okay.
2. It claims to have conditioners in it but my hair felt dry afterward. I had a pack of Ion deep conditioner and after that and a round of Aussie 3 Minute Miracle my hair felt soft again, but I didn't like the way my hair felt after it rinsed out.
3. This isn't one of those dyes you can get away without buying gloves. (Sometimes, like this time, I forget to buy them and just try to apply with the brush and not get it on my hands.) It stained my hand HORRIBLY! I am going to be so embarrassed picking my daughter up from school tomorrow. I soaked my hand in rubbing alcohol, vinegar and a couple other random things I tried to use to get it out to no avail. I'm sure like all other dyes it will wash out in a rinse or two, but
4. The directions really are more for gray hair, and they suggest doing all over color permanent and just using demi to touch up your roots as you go. I didn't follow this because it did say it can be used to darken pre-lightened hair (which mine was) so I used it on its own.

COULD BE EITHER DEPENDING ON YOUR PREFERENCE:
1. This pulls dark. If you like your colors to pull a little dark, then it's no problem. I however expected the blue black to be a bit more off black, and my overprocessed hair soaked it up like crazy and it's definitely jet black, not blue black.
2. It's really thick consistency. I loved it because I thought it made it easy to apply... but imagine whipped icing with just a tiny bit of water in it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2013 5:45:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

I have been using Wella Color charm for years to cover my 5% grays. I tried AgeBeautiful Demi, as I had read a few positive reviews of this new dye. I also found that Wella was very difficult to get any color other than a very dark brown/black. The lighter shades (7/8) don't seem to work at all on my hair, and when I use the 5/6 shades, my hair looks black. My experience with this product was awesome. I chose to use 50% 6G/6N and I mixed a 1:1 ratio with the AB demi developer. I found the smell very pleasant, and the consistency of the product made it very easy to control. I didn't get hair dye anywhere I didn't want it. It didn't seem to dye my skin, my bathroom, or anything else. It also was a breeze to clean up. I found the packaging to be a lot more user friendly than Wella as well.

I wrapped my hair in cellophane and I set the timer for 30 minutes. I then washed my hair and conditioned it and let it air dry. My grays have been naturally blended with the rest of my hair, and the color is a medium brown, which is my natural color. This exact same shade comes out as almost black with the Wella shades. I am very pleased with this product, and it will be my new hair dye of choice.

PS- ALL demi hair dyes will run dark, as they are deposit only, and they aren't designed to lift. Always go with two shades lighter than the color you are going for. I have medium/dark brown hair, so I chose light/golden brown and it matched my natural shade almost perfectly. If you just need to blend a few grays, dying your own hair is easy and it costs about 1/20 of going to a salon :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 2:15:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

I agree with the comments below

closer to permanent than demi.
non-drying.
leans DARK: go one or two shades lighter. (this is standard when dying over processed hair)
left my hair shiny and healthy, no damage.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/11/2012 9:37:00 AM More reviews by cookamy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Grey

I started using demi-permanent hair color about 6 months ago as a way to transition my permanently dyed hair to my natural gray. I have only used the Zoto's Age Beautiful demi one time. That was enough for me. Other than the WAY off color (light red came out dark, dark brown with a hint of red); the stuff will NOT wash out. The one time I want a hair color to wash out and it's stubborn. So...if you want a demi-permanent that holds on, this is the brand for you. If you want a demi-permanent that will wash out, stay away!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2012 10:39:00 AM More reviews by simi531

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Just adding this new line of DEMI Permanent to the product listing. Found it at sallys and even though I really like the Ion brand demi, I saw this and thought I would give it a try. Seems to work great! I used 9N to cover some grays and tone the washed out highlights in my hair. Summer has taken its toll and I have become one color blonde and needed some depth. Like all demis, this runs dark but it did not give any off tones. I used the ion 10 vol sensitive scalp developer with it, but will try the age beautiful brand next time to give it a try. I should have left it on longer to cover more gray, but was afraid it was going too dark so rinsed after 10 mins or so. Looks natural and toned my hair just enough to give some dimension. No damaged feel or anything either! Try this and let all of us makeupalley reviewers know how it works out - I love getting new tips from other DIY colorists!