Chanel vitalumiere Aqua Fresh and Hydrating Cream Compact Makeup

on 7/1/2015 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Cream Compact Foundation

I was digging through my drawer and almost forgot I had this. I wore it today to see if I still like it two years later. I have the lightest shade, Beige 10. It is a good color but too dark for uber fair porcelain girls. It is pretty neutral and just barely light enough for me, but just barely a good match. If you are NC15 or NW15 in MAC there is really no color in this foundation for you. When Chanel or most brands go lighter than this they make pink foundation, which looks even pinker after a few hours. I'm usually more of an NC20, but a light NC20. The NW colors in MAC are too rose for me.

PROS:

As cream compacts go, this has a velvety finish and lasts better than some.

If you have a good color match, you can spot apply as you would with a concealer and blend with fingers. You can use it around the eyes.

Has SPF 15, which is good enough for regular exposure (not a day at the beach).

Provides medium to full coverage.

Photographs well.

I like the semi-matte finish, and if you lightly dust setting powder over it, it looks even better.

Didn't dry up even though I've had this compact for more than two years.

Feels more comfortable than the Bobbi Brown Oil Free Even Finish Compact I bought.

CONS:

The shade range is limited. Bobbi had more colors.

After a couple of hours, there are pools of shine on my face that need to be blotted.

All cream-to-powder formulas I've tried have ingredients that can clog pores. The cake has to contain something waxy to have this texture in the pan. (Liquids are easier to blend than creams and tend to be better for oily or acne prone skin if you have a matte formula.)

I am aware that I have a layer of makeup on my face. It is not weightless.

It can accentuate flakiness if you have dry skin.

Doesn't smooth out texture as well as some of the liquid foundations available.

It is really best for normal skin that is not acne prone and not dry. If you have any skin problems, this will be okay but not your Holy Grail.

SUMMARY:

As much as I get impatient taking the extra few minutes in the morning to apply liquid, it really does work the best and lasts all day if you have the right formula. Therefore I won't buy this again unless my skin changes drastically. Cream compacts aren't the best for oily skin.

This cream formula is well above average, one of the best I've tried, hence the 4 rating, but I'm just not loving cream compacts right now.

on 1/30/2015 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I really wanted to love this, after all, it's Chanel. Coverage is very good, but it is too matte for my mature skin. Would work very well for someone under 40 or with oilier skin. I wore it in #22 Beige Rose which worked very well for my fair, cool-toned skin. Texture is somewhat on the drier side.

on 1/7/2015 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I was heartbroken when I found out the chanel teint innocence compact was being discontinued which is why I never bothered to check this one out as their replacement. Finally, after about 2 years, I decided to come back to this today because I realized chanel was the only brand that had a foundation that covered my pores, acne scars, and gave me a natural glow with my dry skin. This does accentuate dry patches on skin so I did have to exfoliate a bit extra but it was worth it. I've only been wearing this for a day and I'm already receiving compliments about my skin. I do wish this could be medium to full coverage so I can use less to cover up my problem areas but hopefully this will last me at least 8 months like the teint innocence.

on 9/15/2014 12:01:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This review is for the Vitalumiere Aqua compact creme foundation. This comes in the classic round Chanel black cases, embossed with the CC logo, and contains the foundation and separate compartment for the sponge. I rated this lower for several reasons: 1, the compact is not refillable. The creme foundation that this replaced, Teint Innocence creme, was refillable and therefore much more cost-effective. Secondly, I rated this lower than the Teint Innocence compact foundation because of the color selection. If you are very pale, you are not going to be able to find a match in this foundation. The lightest, Beige 10, swatches very yellow/orange. The lightest shade in the cool range is Beige Rose 22 which is better, but not suited to very light skintones. I can wear the Beige 22, but it requires a lot of buffing and blending a lighter foundation around my jawline to avoid that line. The formula is very good and is great for touchups throughout the day. However, I just can't get that excited about this compared to the excellent Teint Innocence. One tip I've found that makes this product easier to use is applying it with your fingers initially and then using a foundation brush to blend out. The sponge typically applies too much product and you'll get a cakey application with the sponge. I only use the sponge for touch ups on the go, and it's really good for touching up red spots around the nose and on the chin, etc. When sheered out and applied properly, this is a lovely product and does give a radiant finish. With this, I always set with a sheer or HD powder because if not, it will tend to "grab on" to powder products such as blush and cause them to look patchy. Again, I'd continue to use this because of the formula, but it's not the best shade selection nor is it the best creme compact foundation that Chanel has produced. In my opinion, they also really need to work on their shade range that's available (and that includes adding more deeper toned shades as well as lighter).

on 6/24/2014 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

For prom I got my makeup done at a Chanel counter, there was a girl who had flawless skin/makeup and I asked if she could do my make up. I asked her what she used to make her skin look so perfect and she showed me this foundation, so I used it for my prom makeup. I loved the foundation so much I bought it for myself that same day in shade 40. I've been using this make up for two months now and I love it. I have combination skin and at first I think it did break me out, but I have delicate skin so everything takes my skin some getting used to. This make up hides every imperfection and doesn't go on heavy, it also adds a glow to your face. My skin completely transforms when I use it. It is pretty pricey, $58 is a lot compared to the $20 I used to spend on my old foundation. But I probably will end up buying it again once it's done.

on 5/19/2014 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Having used the vitalumiere fluid I had such high hopes for this, it looks good, the colour 20 was a good match for me but, it just sucked the moisture out of my skin. I tried it with moisturiser with a primer, without but to no avail. And I didn't dare get in the way of a camera lens with it on, it made Angelina Jolies recent powder disaster look tame. Such as shame, I've given it to a friend hopefully she'll have more luck

on 5/13/2014 12:24:00 AM

I was rather hesitant to try this foundation, given all the negative reviews here, but so far, having used it for just over a month, it has exceeded my expectations. My skin is a troublesome mix: it's naturally on the oily side, but due to fairly heavy use of acne treatments, is often surface dry (and flaky to boot!). I must admit that I was incredibly underwhelmed when the SA at my local Chanel counter applied this for me; she used both sponge and brush, one for each side of my face. (I had mentioned that I formerly used a foundation brush, but am now a diehard beautyblender devotee, so she did this for the sake of comparison, though the sponge she used is nowhere near the perfection of my beauty blender!). And, truthfully, both sides looked pretty awful. The foundation seemed to emphasise everything I wanted to hide (or at least minimise): pores, flakiness, fine lines - all were rendered glaringly obvious. The only thing working in its favour was that it seemed to impart real radiance to my skin. It's really important to mention at this point that I find terms like 'radiance' and 'luminosity' pretty barfy, and generally approach any product that is advertised as such with a good deal of scepticism. But try as I might, it is hard to avoid using such terms when describing the appearance of my skin with this stuff on it. Previously, I had been using Laura Mercier Mineral Powder (pressed and loose versions), and though I feel that this powder boasts an incredibly cosmetically elegant formulation for a mineral product, it certainly did not make me look luminous or radiant. In fact, it generally made me look a little lifeless - something that I attribute to the combination of texture it imparts (dry and powdery) and the fact that the colour of my complexion seemed to look slightly amiss with it on (I think 'grey' is the best way to describe it), no matter how I applied it. Anyway, while I don't want this to turn into a review of another product, I feel that it is important for me to mention that this foundation has probably garnered a really positive response from me, in part, simply because it has given back the appearance of life that my mineral powder had taken away. To return to my initial encounter with it, at the Chanel counter, it was disappointing, yes, but due to this ability to impart some kind of radiance where my prior foundation cannot, it held promise - enough for me to go out on a limb and ask the SA if I could apply some with my beautyblender. Let's just say, the difference was astonishing. Even the SA was was amazed! (To the point that she is now a beauty blender convert, and wonders at this little miracle worker's ability to transform what may be one of Chanel's more finicky foundations into a star player!) Not only did it impart that same glow to my skin, but it no longer highlighted all the things I'd rather it didn't. And it looked great, even when I built the coverage up a little. It was more obvious that I was wearing foundation, for sure, but it still looked great - just a different, more made-up kind of great. So, suffice to say, I took a compact home, in Beige Rose 22. Quite a plunge considering that this foundation retails for $120 here in New Zealand! I must concede that it is not quite perfect: the same thing that I believe imparts such radiance to my skin - the high water content of this product - also means that it can make me look more than a little oily by the end of a day's wear. I could probably combat this by blotting, and if necessary, reapplying, or by powdering after application, but so far, I haven't wanted to risk losing the glowiness that made me buy it in the first place. I also find that the shade I opted for runs a little pinker than I like, especially as my skin can look quite florid anyway, and I find applying a pink-based foundation usually seems to amplify this. The colour range does seem rather limited in this product (to my knowledge, there isn't a more yellow-based shade with equivalent depth at this point), so I don't know that there is an easy fix to this problem. Again, I could try experimenting with some kind of finishing powder, but, really, I don't think the slight colour mismatch is nearly as obvious to others as it is to me, and it doesn't seem to make me look overwhelmingly pink. For now, this product really is close to perfect for me. It looks lovely and glowy on, downplays my flaws, offers buildable coverage, a degree of sun protection, and seems to remove easily at the end of the day. But, an important proviso: its success is largely due to the method of application I choose; without the beautyblender to apply it, I certainly wouldn't have taken this product home. So, for all those MUAers who have this foundation, and have lost faith in it, if you can get your hands on one, try using it again with a beautyblender, or similar beauty sponge. It turned what could have been an expensive yet mediocre product into an exceptional one for me. The only question from here is: how many other foundations have I dismissed that I would have loved had I been using a beauty blender with them?! Next up for me on MUA: a long overdue review for the beautyblender!

on 5/12/2014 1:20:00 PM

I have vitalumiere liquid (not aqua) which is my daily foundation but wanted something with a little more coverage. I tried the compact foundation and it is definitely medium to full coverage. I applied with a flat top and it gives me an airbrushed look. Definitely need blush with this one as it does a good job of "erasing"! I have fairly dry skin and this does not make my face feel tight, even though the finish is powdery on me.

on 5/3/2014 4:49:00 AM

Despite all the bad reviews i went for this and find it suitable for my dry skin.The product is creme to powder and i got it in 10 beige.Bought this for the hot and humid summer and find it light enough for only covering my dark areas and not as an all over face product.The finish is satiny soft with good coverage which can be sheered out or kept medium.I too use it with my clean fingers btw, wish it came in a stick foundation form for more convenience.

on 4/5/2014 9:12:00 PM

A must have for my troubled, allergic, acne prone skin! I use this alone, or sometimes with the liquid Vitalumiere..... And can take this with me for touch ups or when I travel as I hate to take too many liquids when flying. When I first got this, I felt guilty as though I was spoiling myself, well...I still do feel sort of that way, but I have to have this! I use clean fingers to apply btw,