December 22, 2014 | 908 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - Colorstay Base Coat

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by kaycee66

Hmmm...I just found out from other MUAers that this product is discontinued, and when I look on the Revlon sight, so it seems!

I guess they didn't enjoy the fact that people were buying their basecoat, and using other polishes. Smart move, Revlon.

I will be stopping by the drug store tomorrow to see how many more of these basecoats I can buy before they completely discontinue it. Careful, Revlon, the downside is that if I dont' like your colours, I will simply have to buy another brand - and it's not that I want to, because I believe Revlon truly has top-notch formulas in their Nail Care line.

Anyway, my nails are thin, brittle, they peel in the winter, they are ridgy, all the downsides of "normal" nails.

Regular polish never stays longer than 24 hrs, so this was a godsend. I can paint two basecoats, then two coloured coats (that dont' have to be Colorstay products), and top with a regular Revlon top coat, and this could stay for a minimum of 1 week, up to 2 weeks. This is coming from someone who had no choice than to use Shellac!

And another upside? it's as easy to remove as regular polish!

Revlon, I hope you don't discontinue this spectacular product, but I will try your new Colorstay line :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2014 1:20:00 PM More reviews by TheLauren

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this after seeing its reviews here. After using it for 6-7 manicures, I can now confidently say that this is an integral part of my nail polish arsenal. I've been doing my own nails about once a week for the last 6 or 7 years. In that time, I've experimented with using base coat, but I never noticed any difference, so I wrote it off as an unnecessary product. But when I saw the amazing reviews for this base coat, I decided it was worth buying, especially because Revlon products go on sale all the time at my grocery store (HEB). I have used this with various brands of nail polish (Sally Hansen, OPI, China Glaze, Forever 21 Love and Beauty), always topped with Seche Vite, and it keeps my manicures virtually chip-free for at least 7 days, sometimes longer. Before, when I was just using nail polish and top coat, my manicure would normally start chipping by day 4 or 5. Now, I won't do my nails without this, and next time this goes on sale, I will probably pick up a few just to start hoarding it (since companies are always getting rid of good products).

Picture number 4 (
Full Size Image
) is my nails on day 9. As you can see, my nails have grown out quite a bit, but there's minimal chipping and tip wear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I have already purchased back ups of this and I NEVER do that. This is my HG base coat. It sticks to the nail like glue and keeps any polish on it for over a week. It is somewhat shiny and thickens the nail as well on me.

I have tried so many base coats and this is my favorite. Use this with the Colorstay topcoat and you will be amazed at the look of your nails. They will look like gel nails from the salon. Stays put for a week or more. NO light required either and easy to remove with regular nail polish remover.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Andiee0929

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The newest version (Gel) is amazing. I can do the dishes and clean the house without it chipping for at least a week and a half. Usually my nail polish chips within a few hours. I've tried almost every single brand. Since it's relatively inexpensive, I encourage everyone to go out and try it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wonderful, wonderful base coat! My manicure last all week even though I do dishes without gloves, clean my house, work and do laundry. There is a bit of wearing around the top edge which reminds how polish wears on artificial nails. I went three weeks of manicures - one with an old OPI, a new bottle of Zoya and a new bottle of regular Revlon. Each mani looked good even after 7 days. Removal is easy, wear is great and the base coat is inexpensive - what's not to love!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by hrab03

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think there really should be a separate entry for the old Colorstay basecoat and the new Colorstay Gel-Smooth basecoat. Completely different. Old one=junk. This new one? Fabulous!

I have tried this basecoat w/Essie, Sally Hansen, and China Glaze Nps. Tried it w/Dior Gel, Kensington Caviar, and SH InstaDri TCs. All my manis have lasted easily 7-10 w/absolutely NO CHIPS!! No tipwear. No nothing!

I've washed cars, washed dogs, cleaned house, beach vacation, nails as tools (I know, I know) . . . .no chips/wear. Fills in any ridges, nails seem hard/strong, polish applies like a dream. I was using the Sally gelous BC and it was alright, manis lasts from 3-5 w/o chips

I apply 2 separate coats, let dry completely in between. 1-2 coats of NP and then a TC.

Only slightly negative thing I can say . . I get a little shrinkage from this BC. Noticeable only if you're looking very close. This happened with 3 different NPs and 3 different TCs. Not SV-type shrinkage, though. It's something I'm definitely willing to deal with. Excellent stuff!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by daydreamer247

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I can not say enough good things about this base coat. It extends the duration of an at home manicure to more than a week without any chips. There is only minimal tip wear, which is hardly noticeable.
I have used this base coat with several brands of nail polish, including Essie, OPI, Avon, and Sally Hansen. I have had positive results each and every time.
I even wore this to a recent seven day trip to Bermuda and the polish lasted, despite frequent trips to the beach with prolonged exposure to salty ocean water.
Application and drying time are great.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/30/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Tullippe

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got the 'Gel' formula version which looks grayish in color but applies clear. It filled my nail ridges, which are more like deep trenches, *beautifully* so I was initially delighted!

i don't know if I got an old bottle, but the application was rather 'gummy' and as I pulled the brush away from the nail I could see the product making spiderweb like strands. Two coats completely filled in my ridges and mine are pretty bad. However, it bubbled. Made lots of tiny little bubbles which showed through the polish. So that was disappointing. I tried applying one thin coat but that didn't fill in my ridges completely and it still bubbled

Again, I don't know if I got an old bottle. Am going to try something else and if that doesn't work out I may try this base coat again and hopefully get a fresh bottle and then I will see.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by GreenFruit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

OH MY GOD I CANT BELIEVE THIS WAS DISCONTINUED!!!! IM GOIN TO BUY EVERY BOTTLE ON EVAY BECAUSE DOING NY NAILS ISNT WORTH THE EFFOET WITHOUT THIS BASECOAT!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by lisaxlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love love love!! <3. Makes my nails super smooth! And works better than any ridge filler I've ever used. I've already bought two back ups. I hope this is around forever!! Makes all of my manis last DAYS! Got over a weeks wear with my last mani, and probably would have lasted longer if I didn't get tired of it. It was around $4.00 at Walmart. That's the cheapest I've seen it so far. It runs around $7.00 at Walgreens. But I don't get it there. So it's not that expensive IMO. And $4 is worth my manis lasting. (:

Bottom line, go out and buy it, buy it now!!