April 20, 2014 | 1545 users online

Top/Base Coats - Revlon - Colorstay Base Coat

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Andiee0929

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The newest version (Gel) is amazing. I can do the dishes and clean the house without it chipping for at least a week and a half. Usually my nail polish chips within a few hours. I've tried almost every single brand. Since it's relatively inexpensive, I encourage everyone to go out and try it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wonderful, wonderful base coat! My manicure last all week even though I do dishes without gloves, clean my house, work and do laundry. There is a bit of wearing around the top edge which reminds how polish wears on artificial nails. I went three weeks of manicures - one with an old OPI, a new bottle of Zoya and a new bottle of regular Revlon. Each mani looked good even after 7 days. Removal is easy, wear is great and the base coat is inexpensive - what's not to love!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by hrab03

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I think there really should be a separate entry for the old Colorstay basecoat and the new Colorstay Gel-Smooth basecoat. Completely different. Old one=junk. This new one? Fabulous!

I have tried this basecoat w/Essie, Sally Hansen, and China Glaze Nps. Tried it w/Dior Gel, Kensington Caviar, and SH InstaDri TCs. All my manis have lasted easily 7-10 w/absolutely NO CHIPS!! No tipwear. No nothing!

I've washed cars, washed dogs, cleaned house, beach vacation, nails as tools (I know, I know) . . . .no chips/wear. Fills in any ridges, nails seem hard/strong, polish applies like a dream. I was using the Sally gelous BC and it was alright, manis lasts from 3-5 w/o chips

I apply 2 separate coats, let dry completely in between. 1-2 coats of NP and then a TC.

Only slightly negative thing I can say . . I get a little shrinkage from this BC. Noticeable only if you're looking very close. This happened with 3 different NPs and 3 different TCs. Not SV-type shrinkage, though. It's something I'm definitely willing to deal with. Excellent stuff!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 12:15:00 PM More reviews by daydreamer247

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I can not say enough good things about this base coat. It extends the duration of an at home manicure to more than a week without any chips. There is only minimal tip wear, which is hardly noticeable.
I have used this base coat with several brands of nail polish, including Essie, OPI, Avon, and Sally Hansen. I have had positive results each and every time.
I even wore this to a recent seven day trip to Bermuda and the polish lasted, despite frequent trips to the beach with prolonged exposure to salty ocean water.
Application and drying time are great.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/30/2013 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Tullippe

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got the 'Gel' formula version which looks grayish in color but applies clear. It filled my nail ridges, which are more like deep trenches, *beautifully* so I was initially delighted!

i don't know if I got an old bottle, but the application was rather 'gummy' and as I pulled the brush away from the nail I could see the product making spiderweb like strands. Two coats completely filled in my ridges and mine are pretty bad. However, it bubbled. Made lots of tiny little bubbles which showed through the polish. So that was disappointing. I tried applying one thin coat but that didn't fill in my ridges completely and it still bubbled

Again, I don't know if I got an old bottle. Am going to try something else and if that doesn't work out I may try this base coat again and hopefully get a fresh bottle and then I will see.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by GreenFruit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

After using orly bonder for years, I tried this. My life is changed. My manicures last and last like they never have in the past. The topcoat you use doesn't really matter as long as you have this base coat. The newer bottles are labeled "Gel-Smooth" and are the exact same ingredients as the older bottles.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2013 11:11:00 AM More reviews by lisaxlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love love love!! <3. Makes my nails super smooth! And works better than any ridge filler I've ever used. I've already bought two back ups. I hope this is around forever!! Makes all of my manis last DAYS! Got over a weeks wear with my last mani, and probably would have lasted longer if I didn't get tired of it. It was around $4.00 at Walmart. That's the cheapest I've seen it so far. It runs around $7.00 at Walgreens. But I don't get it there. So it's not that expensive IMO. And $4 is worth my manis lasting. (:

Bottom line, go out and buy it, buy it now!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2013 1:48:00 PM More reviews by CarrieNations

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Life changer. Seriously, I've always struggled with chippy nails, and Revlon Colorstay Base Coat has helped extend the wear of my nail polish by 3-4 days. You can put on your first coat of nail polish virtually right after applying, and they bond together beautifully. Paired with Revlon No Chip Top Coat, it's the next best thing to getting a manicure. Curious though, just looked on the Revlon website and I'm not seeing it listed under this name. Hopefully it's just a rename vs. a discontinuation or reformulation, because this product is gold.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2013 2:35:00 PM More reviews by LuthienTinuviel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!!! No lie. I'm 47 years old, with natural nails, have been doing my own manicures 2x /week for 20+ years and this is this greatest base coat I've ever used, hands down! After using Orly Bonder and OPI Natural Base Coat for years, I gave this a try after seeing all the rave recs on the MUA boards. Picked it up at Rite-Aid (be sure to get the GEL version on this...seems to be an older, more yellowish Revlon basecoat in virtually identical packaging still on the shelves). As suggested on the boards, I applied 2 coats of this (allowing about 10 min. drying time in between) and followed with 2 coats of a favorite OPI (Russian Navy), followed by a top coat of Seche Vite. After about a full week of doing dishes, washing my hair and even mowing my lawn, my manicure had NO chips. Just a little bit of tip wear, and after about 8-9 days, some wear around my cuticle.(probably mostly because my nails were growing!) and a slight decrease in shininess. Have since done three more manicures with this gem of a basecoat, using other OPI polishes with equally astounding results. Even had a surprisingly long-lasting manicure (5 days) with an Essie polish (Wicked)..a brand that has a terrible record of chipping for me. Already went out a bought a backup of this...I LOVE it that much! One most impressive products I've ever used. Please give this a try!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 9:35:00 PM More reviews by sourika

OMG! 10 lippies! Hallelujah! My manis last a full week without chipping :) This, 2 coats polish & Seche Vite (which I finally bought in the past 6 mos.) These 2 products are life-changing!