Royal Hawaiian Perfumes - Wicked Wahine (Original)

3.5

I purchased this product on a nostalgic whim. I remembered the name from a Hawaiian shop in my hometown mall, which carried this perfume. I was about twelve and doused myself in this perfume liberally from the tester, feeling very grown up.
When I found out it still existed (and how cheap it was) I couldn't resist - I tacked it on to my Amazon order.
The previous reviewer is correct - this perfume is really not your typical "tropical" scent (tiare, plumeria, orchid, what have you) and it's really a straight ahead carnation. Very surprising! However, I happen to LOVE carnation scents (CdG's Red:Carnation has been on my to-buy list for a couple of years now and this is a pretty great substitute for a much more expensive scent, if you ask me).
So - I am happy I bought this. The spicy carnation scent lingers, though after a few hours it does die down to a soapy clean-ness. (I often spritz my clothing with it to make the scent last longer). Overall, happy my childhood memory didn't disappoint!

on 8/13/2012 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Elsewhere on the internet, I've seen rave reviews calling this a hidden treasure, a unique fragrance concealed by a kitschy name. I'm sad to say that I disagree. However, my impression is so different from everyone else's, it's possible that my sample is stale.

The listed notes are orange flower, rose, night-blooming jasmine, white musk, and sandalwood. However, all I get is a carnation soliflore that starts off sharp but turns watery within in hour. I still rated it a 3, though, because it's certainly not a perfunctory, Bath and Body Works type of fragrance, nor is it bad. It just doesn't suit my tastes.

If you're not familiar with carnation, it's actually a pretty weird smell, more like a spice than a floral. It's like someone took a "skin tone" band-aid and put a couple of black peppercorns and cloves on it. Personally, I don't like it as the main note in a fragrance, although it can be an interesting supporting player. (I hate calling those band-aids "skin tone," since that's basically saying that only light skin is okay. But I don't know what else to call them.)

Nevertheless, other people seem to get the listed notes from this. So, it's probably best to try it and make up your own mind.

So, if I think that you need to try this one out instead of relying on reviews, why did I bother reviewing it? I.... I DON'T...KNOW. continued >>

Popular Fragrances