July 22, 2014 | 2172 users online

Fragrances - Santa Maria Novella - Patchouli

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2012 5:54:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh yeeeah, that's what the patchouli is all about..
warm, earthy, slightly damp, hot, natural,wild at heart,mistic,foggy,sweet, aristocratic,oily, succulent smell...
along with Coromandel, Borneo and Jalaine- absolutely the best patchouli on the face of the planet!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 4:59:00 AM More reviews by MsMokum1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this from a close friend (who found it too strong for herself) at least eight years ago, have used it very often -- usually several times a week since, and still have about 1/4 bottle left! It has not gone off, either!

This is an absolutely wonderful patchouli. It is very, very potent, with good silage, so a small dab is really all that is needed or else it will be overpowering and people will smell you a mile away.

I often layer it with "Evelyn Rose" by Crabtree and Evelyn, for a lovely scent that brings me many compliments.

A friend just gifted me with the patchouli soap from SMN and it is heavenly! My whole bathroom smells wonderful just from having the bar of soap in the soap tray.

People might think that $ 110 is a lot of money for 100 ml eau de cologne, but you get years of use out of this and it lasts and lasts, so you get more than your money's worth, imo. It may be called eau de cologne, but to me it is as strong as perfume. When it runs out, I will definitely be getting another bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2006 1:57:00 PM More reviews by purplebird

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Best patchouli on the market. HG of patchoulis. Woody without being harsh. Fragrant without being sweet. Lesser patchoulis smell flat, one-dimensional. Lesser patchoulis add other notes to make them smell more interesting. This is a pure patchouli scent, rich and gold.
Santa Maria Novella is so deep, so three-dimensional, that you can smell around it. I hope I can explain this adequately: the sweet notes, sour notes, herbal notes, woody notes, enter your nose at split-second intervals.
Buy a sample from Aedes, conduct a direct comparison to any other patchouli you can find. See what I mean? The only drawback is that it is expensive. You have to love patchouli. You can get cheaper, but you can't get better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2005 8:50:00 PM More reviews by Maller

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

SMN Patchouly is a very elegant, sophisticated patchouli, but not for a novice patchouli fan who still thinks L'Artisan's Patchouli Patch is intense. I'd recommend a Patchouli Patch fan to graduate first to Jalaine Patchouli (a gold standard soft, ambery patchouli), Les Nereides Antique Patchouly (a soft, sweet vanilla, ambered patch) or Etro's Patchouly (a fruity accord with some smoke and vanilla added to the earthy patch). SMN Patchouly is a dry, loamy, not overly sweet patchouli which has a somewhat sharp start but mellows to absolute ambery, earthy perfection. It's a little like Mazzolari's Patchouly, but without the rum note or Montale's Patchouli, but a little less ambery and with more of a mossy note. Essentially, it's just stunning.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2003 9:35:00 PM More reviews by HearArt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For years I have been searching for a fabulous patchouli fragrance that was not an oil. Thanks to MUA and MikeD's review my search is over. This is the most true and beautiful patchouli. It wears well, and dries down to a warm lovely scent. If you are a patchouli lover don't miss this one, and if not you might become one!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2002 10:45:00 AM More reviews by MikeD

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For a patchouli lover like me--(I was a real-life hippie years ago)--this is a very satisfying scent. I find myself going back to it again and again. I use it alone, or layer it with something compatible, like Etro's "Sandalo," for example. I know many people don't like patchouli, but on me it takes on a warm, almost golden aura which reminds me of masculine elegance. Let's just forget that it once was associated with hookers, ok? A+ for SMN on this one!