July 24, 2014 | 1496 users online

Sunscreen - Neutrogena - Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 50 with Helioplex

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2013 1:08:00 AM More reviews by madscientist01

This product is HORRIBLE! I started using it and within a few days I had broken out in tiny little white heads all over my face.

It's marketed as being non-greasy, yet felt very greasy on my skin. It has that gross sunscreen smell. I felt a burning sensation when I applied it, and to make matters worse, it offers no sun protection whatsoever. I later learned that this formulation is not stable.

After doing a bit of research about sunscreens, and from my own background as a chemist, I have to say for the common good: please, please don't buy chemical sunscreens like this!!

Technically speaking, everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical. By chemical sunscreens, I am referring to the type of sunscreens that function by undergoing photochemical reactions (react in the presence of light). That's why you have to keep reapplying chemical sunscreens, they are constantly reacting and being depleted. This also means you're getting products on your skin as a result of the reaction that aren't on the ingredient list.....

Physical sunscreens however, you get what you see. They do not react in any way. In fact, they function by coating your skin with a reflective layer. For this reason, they do not need to be reapplied unless they are removed from your skin (swimming or sweating). But, any sunscreen would need to be reapplied after that. Anything other than zinc oxide or titanium dioxide is a chemical sunscreen.

I should also say, some physical sunscreens use nano sized particles, and I'd advise caution with respect to these. Nanomaterials are very new and we know very little about their safety. At this scale the materials have some pretty amazing properties. They behave very differently than the bulk material. This is because the ratio of surface atoms to interior atoms is much higher. In bulk material the amount of surface atoms is negligible. So just because zinc oxide is safe in bulk doesn't mean nano zinc oxide will behave the same way and is also safe.

All in all, I recommend you make your own physical sunscreens. You can order zinc oxide powder from your local drugstore. It is the same zinc oxide that goes into your prescription pills and your vitamins. If it's safe enough to eat, it's safe to put on your skin! It will give you a white cast, but what's more important? Your health, or vanity?

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by B3AUTyxEX0TiC

I worked at a summer camp last summer when I received a sample of this. I normally have my regular sunscreen but this is something I grabbed when I was on the rush and didn't have time to put on at home.

This, by far, is the worst sunscreen I've ever used. The first time, I thought I thought it was because I didn't pre-moisturize my skin before putting it on and it came out so white and pasty and awfully hard to blend in.

The second time, I did moisturize my skin to make sure it wasn't the problem--still the problem! My coworkers didn't even want to use this because they saw how chalky it was. This sunscreen was so uncomfortable to wear!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 11:22:00 AM More reviews by marikhel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Love this sunscreen, doesn't make my oily skin look oilier and makes me feel good that I'm giving my skin a good level of sun protection.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by Katie411

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm in India at the moment and I picked this up on the off chance it might work. Sunscreens usually break me out. This was made in Korea and imported here.
This stuff he's been a good send. It doesn't break me out but has managed to protect my skin from burning, which means I've been able to keep using ahas and retina. The price out here is comparatively expensive but compared to what I'd pay back home it's cheap. I've bought a back up and will keep using this in the UK when I get back if I can find it.
I have got oily skin and this doesn't make it any oilier. It doesn't really mattify either, but I feel my skin looks natural, with no obvious sheen or white cast.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2013 6:35:00 PM More reviews by leilajansen

I have been using this product occasionally for two years now.

I used to use it on my face, but it would leave my skin looking extremely oily and, sometimes, it would start to sting, and make my face a little itchy.

I now use it on my neck and arms. I like that it is fragrance-free and really moisturises my neck and arms and protects my skin from the sun.

I have decided that, after a few purchases of this product over 2 years, that I would stop buying it.

I managed to find out that the ingredients used in this product are moderately hazardous, according to the EWG. (the ingredients pose hazards such as cancer, reproductive problems etc.). I never used to bother about I ingredients or safety of products before I started to read up on the Internet about it, and turns out that, although I was using several fragrance-free, hypoallergenic products, I was using stuff that still contained other hazardous chemicals. I will now be changing to low or no hazard, organic sunscreens.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/11/2012 9:07:00 AM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I apply this sunblock mainly to my face and sometimes on my arms. What I like is that it really is sheer enough and does not leave a white film unlike so many sunblocks out there that market themselves as having sheer finishes. That said, I reckon the "dry-touch" effect of this sunblock renders it with zero moisturizing effect and dries out my skin pretty bad. So it might be more suitable for those with oily skin. I also feel a very slight, almost unnoticeable burning sensation when I put it on my face, but the sensation disappears after it has sat on my face for about ten seconds. No adverse reactions otherwise. I'm going to finish this tube and try something else next.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2012 11:04:00 PM More reviews by shopaholic14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

The high SPF factor and the fact that this is a broad spectrum sunscreen protecting against UVA and UVB rays, are the main reasons I bought it. The "ultra sheer" in its name also tempted me coz I hate sunscreens which give my face a greyish white cast.

This is a soft, creamy sunscreen with a mild smell. It is quite thick too but spreads quite easily. Love the fact that it is sheer. However, it's not dry touch, it doesn't leave my face matte but gives it a bit of shine. I also use it around my eye area but I have to be careful coz if it gets into the eyes, it does sting.

For these reasons, I love this sunscreen for use on my body but for my face, I want somethin that gives me a matte effect. Like the Clarins spf 40 sunscreen. However, since the Clarins one costs four times as much as this, I feel this sunscreen is a really good buy. I might go ahead and buy the Clarins one for my face but Neutrogena is what I will continue using for my body. Am on my third tube and will repurchase when its over.