Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 50 with Helioplex

3.7

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This is a pretty decent sunscreen. It does have a slightly white cast on my dark skin but you just need to rub it in. I have very greasy skin and live in a very humid climate to boot, but this sunscreen does not compound the issue. I find it a bit thick and heavy, so I don't understand the ultra sheer claim. All in all, a decent sunscreen for my challenging acne prone sensitive skin but not HG. Still looking for something lighter. As always, cleanse with oil.

on 5/25/2015 7:38:00 AM

It is advertised as a non oily sunscreen and declines what it promises . The technology also claims to be able to block out Uva and uvb well . My complaint is that it has tons of silicone and my skin gets clogged with silicone , hence this is my to go to body sunscreen especially when I am out at the beach .

on 5/19/2015 5:41:00 AM

I was never a sunscreen person.. I would opt for a BB cream that would have sunscreen in it(I use the BB Cream SPF 35 by Bobbi brown) until recently when i bought the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 50 with Helioplex. This sunscreen lives up to its name. I live in a place where the humidity is around 75% almost all the time but i did not melt into a puddle of slime (which happens with most sunscreens) My skin felt matte. I've stopped applying the BB cream, and now I just wash, moisturise, apply sunscreen and finish with a compact. My skin has never been better *touchwood*

XOXO

on 5/5/2015 10:37:00 PM

I like this sunscreen a lot. It smells nice, and it is non greasy! I bought this sunscreen set at Costco. I will DEF repurchase this product again!

on 1/26/2015 7:47:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I've used this sunscreen for years and absolutely love it!

Unlike most sunscreens, this one isn't greasy at all. After you apply it, and it dries, you can barely tell it's on. It also doesn't smell too bad-- which is important to me since I wear this everyday.

Anyway, great sunscreen, great product!

on 1/26/2015 6:43:00 PM

I am religious about my use of sunscreen on my face and neck every day. I was previously using La Roche Posay Anthelios 50+ until I found this gem in my local discount pharmacy. Rarely do you find a product that does exactly what it says, but this delivers in spades. I apply this on my face and neck every morning prior to applying my makeup. On my skin, the effect is unnoticeable, so it definitely has a matte texture. I use Modelco Mineral Powder foundation and Maybelline Dream Lumi concealer over the top and the overall look is pretty flawless. It doesn't cause any adverse reaction either, which is something I occasionally have a problem with when I use other sunscreens. This can be purchased anywhere in the vicinity of $8-15 dollars Australian, so it's an absolute bargain!

Edit 29th March 2015:
I spent a morning in full sun and had my entire face neck and shoulder region covered with this sunscreen. I ended up sunburnt. Currently looking at other sunscreens.

This product is HORRIBLE! I started using it and within a few days I had broken out in tiny little white heads all over my face.

It's marketed as being non-greasy, yet felt very greasy on my skin. It has that gross sunscreen smell. I felt a burning sensation when I applied it, and to make matters worse, it offers no sun protection whatsoever. I later learned that this formulation is not stable.

After doing a bit of research about sunscreens, and from my own background as a chemist, I have to say for the common good: please, please don't buy chemical sunscreens like this!!

Technically speaking, everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical. By chemical sunscreens, I am referring to the type of sunscreens that function by undergoing photochemical reactions (react in the presence of light). That's why you have to keep reapplying chemical sunscreens, they are constantly reacting and being depleted. This also means you're getting products on your skin as a result of the reaction that aren't on the ingredient list.....

Physical sunscreens however, you get what you see. They do not react in any way. In fact, they function by coating your skin with a reflective layer. For this reason, they do not need to be reapplied unless they are removed from your skin (swimming or sweating). But, any sunscreen would need to be reapplied after that. Anything other than zinc oxide or titanium dioxide is a chemical sunscreen.

I should also say, some physical sunscreens use nano sized particles, and I'd advise caution with respect to these. Nanomaterials are very new and we know very little about their safety. At this scale the materials have some pretty amazing properties. They behave very differently than the bulk material. This is because the ratio of surface atoms to interior atoms is much higher. In bulk material the amount of surface atoms is negligible. So just because zinc oxide is safe in bulk doesn't mean nano zinc oxide will behave the same way and is also safe.

All in all, I recommend you make your own physical sunscreens. You can order zinc oxide powder from your local drugstore. It is the same zinc oxide that goes into your prescription pills and your vitamins. If it's safe enough to eat, it's safe to put on your skin! It will give you a white cast, but what's more important? Your health, or vanity?

on 6/25/2013 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I worked at a summer camp last summer when I received a sample of this. I normally have my regular sunscreen but this is something I grabbed when I was on the rush and didn't have time to put on at home.

This, by far, is the worst sunscreen I've ever used. The first time, I thought I thought it was because I didn't pre-moisturize my skin before putting it on and it came out so white and pasty and awfully hard to blend in.

The second time, I did moisturize my skin to make sure it wasn't the problem--still the problem! My coworkers didn't even want to use this because they saw how chalky it was. This sunscreen was so uncomfortable to wear!

on 6/23/2013 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Love this sunscreen, doesn't make my oily skin look oilier and makes me feel good that I'm giving my skin a good level of sun protection.

on 4/2/2013 12:03:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I'm in India at the moment and I picked this up on the off chance it might work. Sunscreens usually break me out. This was made in Korea and imported here.
This stuff he's been a good send. It doesn't break me out but has managed to protect my skin from burning, which means I've been able to keep using ahas and retina. The price out here is comparatively expensive but compared to what I'd pay back home it's cheap. I've bought a back up and will keep using this in the UK when I get back if I can find it.
I have got oily skin and this doesn't make it any oilier. It doesn't really mattify either, but I feel my skin looks natural, with no obvious sheen or white cast.