Gucci Premiere EDP for Women

2.8

I managed to obtain several samples, including a deluxe size from Sephora.com, of Gucci Premier EDP by Gucci. Initially, I loved this scent and decided that when I was ready to replenish my stock of perfumes I would buy this one (along with another scent I reviewed). According to Ulta.com, this Gucci scent comprised the following notes:

•Top Note: Orange Blossom, Bergamot
•Heart Note: Leather, Fur
•Base Note: Musk

While I found the top note to be a bit cacophonous (if we can use such an adjective for a scent), I really liked the middle and bottom notes. It suited my body chemistry well. However, as I used it more often, I begun to realize that while these notes were very nice (warm and pleasant), they were not extraordinary enough to justify the expensive price tag (as much as US $93 at Ulta.com). The other thing I noted was that it did not last long, as its bottom notes became quite weak. Therefore, unless I were able to obtain it for nearly free, I would not consider actually purchasing this scent. However, based on my research, I found that others (at least at Ulta.com) enjoyed this scent quite a lot. I find it to be somewhere between 3 - 3.5 lippies, because even with all the drawback I found it still to be so luxurious and pleasant.

I still have a bottle of the sadly discontinued original Gucci - the dark brown juice in the black box - which I love to pieces and for which I get so many compliments. So when they offered me a sample of this I gladly accepted it. I regret to say I was very disappointed. It's not a bad scent, but it's so very much like any other girly-girly, syrupy floral scent that overwhelm the market these days. Too young and giddy for my taste. I was expecting something more sophisticated, along the lines of the original Gucci, or of Bottega Veneta, which is what the brand used to suggest to me. Not even close. I won' t buy this.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This stuff is so strong. I felt like I was suffocating people on the train after spraying it. Strong woodsy smell. Normally I love all the Gucci scents, but be forewarned this needs time to calm down before leaving.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I really like the musk and orange blossom notes of this, but it's too spicy for me. Sort of masculine, really. Cool bottle though. Really unique.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I got this as a fragrance sampler from Sephora and when I first smelled it, I really, really liked it. It had a floral, woodsy scent that slightly smelled of cologne, but not in an overtly masculine way. I'm not normally a fan of the more floral scents but I really did like this one.

Unfortunately, the scent all but left my skin after about a half hour of wear. I can only barely smell it when I put my wrist all the way to my nose, and even then it does not smell nearly as lovely as when I first sprayed it on. I think the lingering scent of it smells way too much like an old lady perfume (the sickly kind of old lady perfume), and I will definitely not be wearing this in public. At almost $100 for 1.7 oz, I could not justify spending that much money on a scent that barely lasts.

I love the initial scent of this perfume, but I wish it would last more, or at the very least, not morph into a rather unappealing musty smell.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Nicely pretty. Creamy florals with a sweet musk base. A bit too sweet for me, though, and smells very young. Not really as black tie as the name suggests

I generally like Gucci fragrances but Premiere has been a sort of disappointment - not a big one, the fragrance is too meek and indescript to create a big disappointment even. Maybe I'm anosmic to it or something because I can't smell any of the stated notes (per NST: bergamot, orange blossom, white flowers, musk, leather and wood). All I get is a sweet, perhaps peachy scent which reminds me of Guerlain's Idylle. However, it's very muted and disappears from my skin in 40 minutes. I'll have to pass. 2.5

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Normally, I love Gucci (esp the Guilty trio, and Eau de Gucci), and I'm wondering why they even bothered launching Premiere at all -- right on the heels of the very good & successful Guilty trio.

That commercial advert with the city lights & Blake Lively in a sparkly gold evening gown -- they were apparently aiming for luxury & elegance & opulence, but I'm not getting that from the scent itself.

If I were to spritz lemon on a plank of plywood and then sniff the two together -- that's what it smells like to me. It opens with bergamot topnotes, then goes down into a wood scent. And stops there. I know there are florals in between the bergamot and the wood, but I really don't smell any in particular. I think there's supposed to be leather in the base also. To me it's a serious fragrance, a little rough, almost masculine, and lacking in sensuality.

Premiere's solid gold chunky "treasure chest" bottle is beautiful, but you can't tell how much you have left.

The men's counterpart, the new Gucci "Made to Measure" cologne with James Franco -- smells awesome! I just got an insert in a Macy's catalog, and ILOVE it! They say it's supposed to be the men's version of Premiere. I think it smells much better than Premiere!!

I was completely underwhelmed by this perfume that has no lasting power.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

On my 2nd bottle!! Men and women seem to love this. Somewhat luxury musky but not woodsy musky. Very expensive and the lotion is about the same price which is crazy.

Popular Fragrances