Shiseido Pureness Moisturizing Gel-Cream

3.6

Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, SD Alcohol 40-B, Xylitol, Pentaerythrityl Tetraoctanoate, Hydrogenated C6-14 Olefin Polymer, Corn Starch, Palo Azul Wood Extract, Potassium Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Dimethicone Copolyol, Potassium Acrylate/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sucrose Stearate, Trisodium EDTA, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Magnesium Chloride, Calcium Chloride, Peony Root Extract, Rosemary Extract, Methylparaben, Benzoic Acid, Fragrance, Iron Oxides Updated 7/7/2013

on 8/4/2015 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is so light weight that it literally feels like you're rubbing water on your face. This is indeed a great everyday moisturizer if you're oily skinned, don't think it would do much if you have dry skin. Although it is a good product I think you could buy other good moisturizers for a lower price.

on 4/14/2015 8:36:00 PM

This gel-cream is very light (almost runny) and you only need a tiny amount of it at it spreads over your face so easily without absorbing too soon. Texture is perfect for the combination skin, but I still think this product may be sligtly too greasy for oily skin.
I like the fact that this gel-cream really refreshes the skin, almost like it has some slightly cooling effect, and the scent is very pleasant and refreshing too (and unisex, which makes it perfect for guys as well). It also makes the skin look more beautiful immediately - small wrinkles are less visible and pores are smaller too.
Only downgrade is that for some reason my skin became oily quicker than usual while using this product, but fortunately that didn't result with any breakouts.

on 3/14/2015 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Very simple moisturizer for my (mostly oily) combo skin. Covers dry patches well and doesn't irritate or cause acne. Love Shiseido's Pureness line. This product is well-worth the price IMO and I don't want to risk anything with my skincare routine. Love it and will repurchase.

on 5/3/2013 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I have a love/hate affair with Shiseido. I love the brand, I love that it is Japanese and that Japanese skincare is so innovative (especially concerning brightening skincare) but when I look at the ingredient lists of many Shiseido products I do not see amazing ingredients that one should get for the prices we are paying.

I have oily, acne-prone skin that has been breaking out severely for the last couple of months. I use this Moisturizing Gel-Cream in lieu of the Clarins Eclat du Jour Gel-Cream, because I heard this moisturizer was better for acne-prone skin and had anti-bacterial properties.

It is a very "simple" moisturizer, feels very light and refreshing to my skin, but is not particularly hydrating. I feel like it is more soothing than it is hydrating or moisturizing, and I also thinks it puts a thin (protective) layer over my skin. I like the feeling of the moisturizer, as it's very light and when blended disappears into the skin except for that very thin layer.

The moisturizer goes well with make-up and sunscreen, and doesn't roll up or ball up. I think it actually does have anti-bacterial properties, because my acne has diminished significantly, but I do not think that it is a wonder product or that it completely gets rid of acne. I think it is a great no-fuss moisturizer for people with oily skin (if you have combination skin, I think this might be too light for the dry parts of your skin), that feels nice and light on the skin, but you shouldn't expect miracles from it.

I would repurchase it because I like that it doesn't break me out and even seems to help me with my acne, has a nice feeling, leaves my skin smooth and works well with make-up. I think the Clarins Gel-Cream is very similar to this moisturizer, maybe a bit thicker (the Shiseido Gel-Cream is VERY thin, almost watery at first, I had to get used to it), and more targeted at combination skin than oily skin.

on 7/11/2012 9:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

About 4 years ago I got a sample of this used it and it didn't break me out & lasted forever. But I normally do not wear moisturizer so I did not repurchase. Fast forward - I have recently been having tons of skin issues from break outs, and cystic acne to itchy hives that I can not figure out what they are from. So I remember this lotion didn't cause me any problems but all the ones I'm trying lately are, so I go buy it and....NO ISSUES....WHATSOEVER. Idk if u can fully appreciate this, But u should. I had to get put on Retin A and I use this gel-cream before my retin A and it works great. I also use this again under my make up in the am with no issues. THANK GOODNESS.
****EDIT***** I thought my retin A was making my skin super oily but as it turns out if i skip this moisturizer in the am i don't hardly get oily at all.So....its makes me shiny. I will still purchase bcuz I need a moisturizer to use under my retin A and this doesn't break me out. But I'm skipping it & just using my BB cream in the day and Im not blotting every hour anymore, actually not blotting at all.

on 9/24/2011 6:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

i love this product! the texture of the gel-cream formulation is great for me. i use it after cleansing and toning with shiseido's other pureness products, and i go to bed happy feeling like i've done something good for my skin. combined with the other two steps, this really helps balance my skin. they do make this in sample size, and although they're really small tubes, i would recommend trying to get a sample if you're not ready to make the plunge. after i tried the sample, i knew it was for me.

on 6/7/2011 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I too did not enjoy this moisturizer. It was my first Shiseido product so I was excited to try it, but in all honesty it just put me off the whole line from the start. After about 2 weeks my skin was left very dry, flaking, and I could see fine lines forming on my forehead! It glides on beautifully at first and left a cooling sensation on my skin but after a few weeks it felt like it was providing no moisture whatsoever, and my skin was breaking out in cysts all over. The fragrance is very strong and does indeed smell like alcohol with some added perfume. I finished up the whole jar and by the end my skin was just in dreadful condition. Reading through the ingredients list that was on this site I can see why my skin didn't like it as I cannot tolerate Alcohol Denat or cornstarch. Never again would I repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I got this along with Pureness cleanser and toner as a set. Nevermind my comment on price as I got it from sales, it's normal price is nonsense for it doesn't moisturize at all.
I will give the devil his due though, it really did control my oily skin against shining all summer long. But as to moisturizing, I had to buy an other product to apply for night, and keep this one for morning to use under make up.

on 1/20/2011 9:34:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I did not have a good experience with this at all. The only plus side is that it feels light-weight on the skin. The ingredients list is terrible -- cheap, harsh products (Butylene Glycol, SD Alcohol 40-B, Corn Starch, Fragrance etc...) and I don't understand why Shiseido price their products so high for such cheap useless ingredients. The pot it comes in is quie small. I have normal/combo oily skin and found the moisturising qualities of this moisturiser to be useless. My skin became dry and flakey under 2 weeks. This sucked all the moisture from my skin (it contains SD alcohol which is really harsh, strong, irritating...basically pure alcohol) and didn't bring any moisture back. The "good" ingredients that they brag about in the product description are right at the bottom of the list! Which means there is such a miniscule amount that they may as well not even be in there. Although it dried my skin out terribly, when I had it on it also made my skin produce a lot of oil ~(which is what happens when you strip the skin of moisture) and my face became a greasy hot mess, yet dry at the same time! It's overly fragranced and smells like cheap perfume and alcohol. Broke my skin out in small red pimples across my forehead and cheeks. So no, I would not buy this product again.

on 12/1/2010 3:42:00 AM

Definitely would not buy this again!!

Initially, this product was great in the sense that it was very lightweight and it felt nice to put it on the skin. I've been using this for about 3 months and this product is the reason for me breaking out so bad!!! Acne just started to appear gradually, and they were the red painful bumps too!! Left so many scars on my face. I have combination skin. I usually don't break out this bad, but this product broke me out BAD!!! I just recently stopped using it (dumb on my part) and went back to my clinique moisturizer and I already see a difference. I am using the same skincare products, just switched moisturizers. This product really disappointed me. It doesn't help that it's in a very unhygienic tub either. The only thing I like from Shiseido's Pureness line is the softener.

Popular Moisturizers