October 2, 2014 | 1512 users online

Hair Color - Wella - Frosty Ash

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 6:35:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is great! I too used it kind of as a toner with some lift. I had the platinum blonde but my stinkin roots would NOT go past yellow no matter how much bleach, t18/14, virgin snow, violet semi diluted, etc I'd use. So as a last resort I found some of this in my drawer and used 25 vol with it. It turned my hair steel purple grey (!!!) in 20-25 min so I washed it out; wet my hair still looked pretty grey. Dry though it's a perfect silvery platinum white. LOOOOVE!!! No more yellow roots. May have to use this every bleach! I always have better luck w wella.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2013 11:31:00 AM More reviews by PaulaBenoit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product took my hair from it's natural shade of 1B (off black) to a level 6/7 with no pre-bleaching. The ash in this shade took the naturally occurring red underlying pigment in my dark hair and turned it to a more golden shade with no brassy tones. I used to alternate between this color and L'Oreal Les Caramels in the shade UL61 but found the Wella color more economical as I can measure what I need with the Wella tubes. One tube of Wella is good for 2 root touch-ups.

Because this is a high lift color I use this with a 20 volume developer. I apply this to my roots only as the rest of my hair is already lightened and in 25 minutes my roots match the rest of my hair.

My only tip is if you are applying this as an all over color to virgin hair apply it half an inch away from the roots through to the ends, let it process and then go back and apply to the roots itself for the last 20-25 minutes. If you apply it to your roots first and then through the ends you will get very bright roots (hot roots). Overall this is a great color for lightening virgin hair with minimal damage. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by StupidUserNames

I had this horrible yellow tinge in my blonde hair that I couldn't get rid of so one day I'm at Sally and I had been eyeing this permanent color for a while and wondered what it would turn out like if I used it as a toner? So I picked a tube up and 10 volume peroxide. I waited til my next bleaching and trim too do it I waited a few days and I finally did it I left it on for about 1hr and I rinsed it with silver shampoo man I looked at myself I was like wtf my hair is violet gray. I sucked it up and three days later I washed it my hair was the prettiest white blonde ever omg I started using this with my platinum routine I had the best hair ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2012 3:36:00 PM More reviews by siouxie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Heard Wella had reformulated their Color Charm line. Had used this a couple of years back because Color Charm was (and is) widely heralded for its color range, gray coverage and fade resistance. Unfortunately, the original formula left your hair extremely stripped. Like uncombable! So the great news is the new formula, featuring "Liquifuse Technology" is light years better! I used one bottle of Frosty Ash (white blonde) plus 2.8 ounces of 30 volume Clairol Soy4Plex cream developer (it's a 1:2 ratio). My natural hair is dark blonde (level 6) w/ 20-30% gray. Left the mixture on one full hour (although Wella advises up to 45 minutes). Still chasing the white blonde look. Okay, the smell. It's not awful, but it's strong. Box says this features a new floral fragrance. This nose detected no fragrance at all except strong chemicals! Had minor tingling/itchiness of the scalp. (Nothing compared to what I used to tolerate in my earlier days of hair lightening.)

Results: 100% Gray coverage, yeah! For reference, I have pretty thick hair below the shoulders so preferably should have gotten two boxes of Frosty Ash. The lift was really nice (although not white blonde), and my hair was hardly damaged at all considering the ultra blonde formula. Next time I might add Wella's Cooling Violet which tones down red/warm tones. And if I'm really brave, I could use 40 volume developer to get the white baby blonde shade I'm still craving. But beware because 40 volume is a real hair killer. Used it some years ago, and afterwards my hair would constantly get knotted like crazy from damaged hair getting tangled together.

Conclusion: kudos to Wella because they did a wonderful job of reformulating an old favorite. I paid $2.99 for a bottle of Color Charm, and anyone in this economy would call that a fab deal.

Lastly, I highly recommend using Infusium 23 Repairology treatment post coloring. It does a fab job of restoring your hair after any chemical service.