November 27, 2014 | 1359 users online

Sunscreen - Mecca Cosmetica - To Save Face SPF 30+ Hydrating Facial Sunscreen

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2014 4:25:00 AM More reviews by verte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Finally, a sunscreen for the face that doesn't stink or make me shiny. I bought this from Mecca prior to going OS on holidays. I use retinol, AHAs and BHAs so a facial sunscreen is essential all year round. My trouble was finding a sunscreen that didn't stink like so many of them do and one that didn't make my face shiny/greasy. I also exercise daily and found that even with sports sunscreens they ran and stung my eyes when mixed with sweat.

Enter this sunscreen. It smells great - light and pleasant, the fragrance doesn't linger either. It has a lightweight texture and melts easily into my skin (normal to dry, with some hormonal breakouts that are now under control). No gross sunscreen smell and no shiny greasy face if wearing on its own! I haven't tried it in place of my serum/moisturiser as I don't think it'd be hydrating enough for my skin, but those with normal/combo/oily skins may differ on this. The Mecca SA also told me I could use it as a primer so that's what I've been doing. Goes on easily under my foundation. The packaging (slightly updated from the pic above) is minimalist and chic. I use it only on my face at the moment but it can be used on the whole body. $45 for 100ml which I think is reasonable given the performance of the product and the fact there are plenty of products dearer than this that aren't half as good. It might be a bit steep to use all over and depending on the expiry date, I may consider buying a regular sunscreen from the supermarket for my body. Definitely a keeper though.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2014 7:09:00 AM More reviews by sarahk88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have oily/combination skin and have avoided sunscreens like the plague as I've always felt they made my skin break out as well as making my face look super shiny. All this has changed thanks to this product. A little goes a long way with this sunscreen, and the end result is a matte like finish that doesn't ruin any makeup you may apply afterwards. It acts both as a moisturiser and sunscreen which is what I love most about it. Has a great smell and applies easily.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 2:19:00 PM More reviews by Gjones7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Love this stuff! It doesn't have that horrendous sunscreen scent and actually smells delicious! It dries to a nice matte finish and doesn't reduce the longevity of my makeup which is great! I use this everyday and will repurchase. Price is quite high but I think it's worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Having not only oily skin, but along with being sensitive and acne-prone, finding a high spf sunscreen that doesn't break me out has been a big challenge for me. I had read the rave reviews on Mecca's site for this product but the price put me off for the longest time until recently I went on Accutane so a high sunscreen was now even more essential. I took the plunge and picked this up and at first I wasn't sure about it but after sticking with it, I am really impressed.

For $45 you do get 100ml which is a lot of product so I don't see myself using this up any time soon. The packaging is nice, not compact but I like the squeeze tube packaging. I hate the smell of sunscreen and unfortunately with anything SPF30 or more you can't really escape it. I love that this does have a fragrance to it which helps mask the smell but it is located lower in the ingredients so it doesn't irritate my skin.

It definitely is a hydrating formula so its easy to spread and dries down to a slightly shiny finish but it wears really well under makeup. It claims to be non-whitening and I can vouch for that, it blends in really seamlessly into the skin.

Overall, it is an investment so if you have tried everything in the low-end market and still haven't found a sunscreen that doesn't irritate your skin & cause more breakouts than I would highly recommend this.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Mackleman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I hate how most sunscreens leave a greasy shine over your face or ghost face. This product doesn't do that at all. It seems to have helped refine my skin all over and there seems to be less redness and no visible pores. I've been using it for about two weeks and I haven't had any break outs yet. I don't think I've been burnt through it, even though I've been wearing it on the beach and in the pool. The smell is very good.
For a $45 sunscreen (the most expensive beauty product I've ever bought) it seems to be totally worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2013 4:40:00 AM More reviews by CJJesse

I found Shanx review more helpful than my own and the reason being that you mention you break out with most sunscreens and I have always had good skin and been trying to figure out if this is the cause of my break outs, I am 43 - so I am going to stop using it and report back but sadly think this may be the cause, otherwise its a great cream...

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2013 2:06:00 AM More reviews by shanx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

HG for me too. I can tend to break out with many sunscreens but with this one I am fine. I use it every morning under my foundation and I find it acts as a wonderful primer. Actually foundation works better over this than the many primers I have tried (2 Laura Mercier, Natio, Revlon and Smashbox).
I usually get about 8 months out of a tube.

EDIT: Finding that I cannot wear this this summer and I I have been using it for years. I have had the same tube since June (June) and had to stop in December (summer here). In winter it was great tho as the heat started rising I started getting blackheads. I looked at all my products eliminating each to find the "culprit" and alas it was this. So I have taken 2 stars off. Sorry CJJesse for steering you wrong!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2013 11:24:00 PM More reviews by liseyloo

HG! This is a gorgeous, ultra light and silky smooth sunscreen that absorbs seamlessly into the skin and does not leave any sort of film. It is $45 (Australian) for 100mL which is actually pretty reasonable considering it is from Mecca who are charging $115 for 30mL of Nars skincare products....

Anyway, I have very sensitive combination skin and I find that this acts as a great moisturiser. I wore it today instead of a moisturiser and it did not make my T-zone greasy or provide insufficient hydration for my dry areas. Best of all, no allergic reaction whatsoever! No break outs, too! I have not yet seen if this delivers a whitish caste under a flash, but I will update this review when I do. Also it says on the box that has a "non-whitening formula".

This sunscreen also works just fine under my make up as it is water based (and I use water based foundation). Can I just reiterate how light the texture is?! This is a beautiful, beautiful product and I'm so grateful that the lovely, helpful and empathetic MUA at Mecca recommended it.

Here are the active ingredients (I could not find the full list): Octocrylene 5% w/w, Phenylbenzimidazole, Sulfonic Acid 2% w/w, Oxybenzone 1.5% w/w, Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane 1% w/w. PRESERVATIVES: Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxybenzoates. Also on the box it claims to include "hyaluronic acid, pomegranate extract and vitamin E".

P.S. I love the smell of this sunscreen!! I completely forgot to add this bit in when I initially wrote the review. It smells so fresh and clean, I can't describe it any better than that though.

EDIT 11th April 2014:
Still my HG sunscreen; I have never come across anything like this. Will repurchase 4EVAR!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2012 9:02:00 AM More reviews by TeaGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I suffer from cystic acne (which is more or less under control these days). I need to use sunscreen everyday especially since I live in Australia.

When I was looking for a sunscreen, I was really scared of picking one that would cause me to break out, I didn't want to end up with a white cast and I wanted something that would absorbs really fast.

This sunscreen is amazing. Its hydrating, non-greasy and light. It absorbs really well and really fast. I have no problems applying makeup over it. Smells lovely and does not cause breakouts (for me at least).

It is $45 for 100ml (3.52oz) but it is worth it. If you are undecided go to the mecca website and read the reviews.